Where does one get JMT permit if starting at Red Meadows on the JMT?

    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
      We're planning a 3 person partial - JMT hike for late July 2008 starting at Red Meadows on the JMT and going all the way down to Whitney Portal. Where does one apply for the permit and where does one physically show up to get the permit, or is it available by mail? If it has to be in person some distance away (like Toulumne Meadows), can it be gotten the afternoon the day before?

      Where do people advise parking the car for such a hike (at Whitney Portal or near Red Meadows)?

      PS -- how difficult is it to purchase a ride from the other end of where one parks to where one needs to get (after or before the trail depending on the answer to the above question)? I believe there is a bus from Bishop to Mammoth Lake but how does one get from Lone Pine to Bishop?

      PPS - how does one get to the Trailhead from Mammoth Lake to Red Meadows?

      Thanks!

      Thanks!

      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
        Sorry for the double posting, I clicked cancel when I saw the redundant window and still Yahoo Mail sent it, go figure.

      • nekeel
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
          I can answer the PPS. From the Mammoth Lodge, you can buy a bus pass
          that will take you down to Reds Meadow. Approximately, 30 to 45
          minutes by bus. Remember that Reds Meadow is inside the Devils
          Postpile National Monument area and you will be charged an entrance
          fee for that also.

          I am attaching a link to the National Park Service regarding the
          shuttle buses:
          http://www.nps.gov/depo/planyourvisit/feesandreservations.htm

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...>
          wrote:

          > Sorry for the double posting, I clicked cancel when I saw the
          redundant window and still Yahoo Mail sent it, go figure.

        • Paul
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
            wrote:
            >Damn I just typed out all the information that you needed and then
            it all got deleted. I did this trail last year and have all your
            answers. Just give me a call 208-484-2718 Paul Walker in Idaho.

            > We're planning a 3 person partial - JMT hike for late July 2008
            starting at Red Meadows on the JMT and going all the way down to
            Whitney Portal. Where does one apply for the permit and where does
            one physically show up to get the permit, or is it available by
            mail? If it has to be in person some distance away (like Toulumne
            Meadows), can it be gotten the afternoon the day before?

            > Where do people advise parking the car for such a hike (at Whitney
            Portal or near Red Meadows)?

            > PS -- how difficult is it to purchase a ride from the other end of
            where one parks to where one needs to get (after or before the trail
            depending on the answer to the above question)? I believe there is
            a bus from Bishop to Mammoth Lake but how does one get from Lone
            Pine to Bishop?

            > PPS - how does one get to the Trailhead from Mammoth Lake to Red
            Meadows?

            > Thanks!
            >
            > Thanks!

          • thomas taylor
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
              Hi Paul,

              You can park your car at the Mammoth Inn Hotel I think
              that's its name) which is located right where you
              catch the shuttle to Reds. They charge $5.00 and you
              leave your keys with them in case they have to move
              the car for some reason. Very safe. You can also
              shower there for $5.00. They supply soap, towel and
              shampoo.

              You can reserve your permit in advance (recommended
              for departing from popular spots like Reds in high
              season like July) at:
              <http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/passes/>

              There is a fee for reserving ($5.00 or $15 - I forgot
              but $15 for entering the Whitney Zone))and you can
              pick up the permitt at the Mono Lake visitors visiting
              center or their office in Bishop or Lone Pine. I
              don't know if there is a location in Mammoth Lakes
              itself where you can pick-up the permitt but ask them.
              It seems like there should be. In the past they
              would put it in the overnight box so that you could
              pick it up before 8am on the day of departure.
              However I believe that they changed that now and
              require you to pick it up in person.

              By the way, you can stay free one night at Reds
              Campground: Good restaurant and a HOT, HOT bath. The
              campground store is OK for snacks and such but poor
              for backpacker necessities. However you can get
              everything and anything you could possibly need in
              Mammoth Lakes which is a popular rest stop for thru
              hikers on the PCT.

              By the way, by starting from Reds you'll be missing
              some great scenery between Donahue Pass and Reds in
              the Ansel Adams Wilderness but there will be plenty
              ahead of you!! Have a good trip. I hope to see you
              on the trail.

              Thomas
              --- Paul <eaglepdub@...> wrote:

              > --- In johnmuirt

              rail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin
              > <roleigh@...>
              > wrote:
              > >Damn I just typed out all the information that you
              > needed and then
              > it all got deleted. I did this trail last year and
              > have all your
              > answers. Just give me a call 208-484-2718 Paul
              > Walker in Idaho.
              >

              > > We're planning a 3 person partial - JMT hike for
              > late July 2008
              > starting at Red Meadows on the JMT and going all the
              > way down to
              > Whitney Portal. Where does one apply for the permit
              > and where does
              > one physically show up to get the permit, or is it
              > available by
              > mail? If it has to be in person some distance away
              > (like Toulumne
              > Meadows), can it be gotten the afternoon the day
              > before?
              > >
              > > Where do people advise parking the car for such a
              > hike (at Whitney
              > Portal or near Red Meadows)?
              > >
              > > PS -- how difficult is it to purchase a ride from
              > the other end of
              > where one parks to where one needs to get (after or
              > before the trail
              > depending on the answer to the above question)? I
              > believe there is
              > a bus from Bishop to Mammoth Lake but how does one
              > get from Lone
              > Pine to Bishop?
              > >
              > > PPS - how does one get to the Trailhead from
              > Mammoth Lake to Red
              > Meadows?
              > >
              > > Thanks!
              > >
              > > Thanks!

              > removed]

              Best regards,

              Thomas

              Thomas Taylor
              tgtaylor7@...
              http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
            • Patronio@aol.com
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
                The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness Permit in Tuolumne Meadows
                Ranger Station.

                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
                  There is a shuttle that takes you from Mammoth Lakes, right to Reds Meadows
                  ranger station and the Mulehouse cafe if you like. It is very easy and fun, for
                  a side trip if you wish to go down to town.

                • thomas taylor
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
                    One probably could get a permit at Tuolumne Meadows
                    also, but the Inyo website states the following:

                    Where can I pick up my wilderness permit? We recommend
                    you pick up your reserved permit at the location
                    closest to your entry trailhead. Inyo National Forest
                    wilderness permits are issued at the following
                    locations:

                    Eastern Sierra InterAgency Visitor Center
                    Junction of Highway 395 and State Route 136
                    2 miles south of Lone Pine, CA
                    (760)876-6200 or TDD(760)876-6201

                    White Mountain Ranger Station
                    798 N. Main Street
                    Bishop, CA 93514
                    (760)873-2500 or TDD (760) 873-2501

                    Mammoth Lakes Visitor Center
                    2500 Main Street
                    Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546
                    (760) 924-5500 or TDD (760) 924-5531

                    Mono Basin Scenic Area Visitor Center
                    P.O. Box 429 (North of Lee Vining on Hwy 395)
                    Lee Vining, CA 93541
                    (760) 647-3044 or TDD (760) 647-3045

                    updated Nov.2006

                    I thought you could pick it up in Mammoth Lakes but I
                    always went to either Momo Lake or Bishop.

                    Thomas

                    --- Patronio@... wrote:

                    > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness
                    > Permit in Tuolumne Meadows
                    > Ranger Station.

                    > removed]

                    Best regards,

                    Thomas

                    Thomas Taylor
                    tgtaylor7@...
                    http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
                  • Frank Martin
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patronio@... wrote:

                      > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness Permit in
                      Tuolumne Meadows
                      > Ranger Station.

                      If you are starting at Red's you CAN'T p/u a Permit at TM. TM is only
                      for hikes that originate in Yosemite. If you are coming from the Bay
                      Area the easiest place to get the Permit is Mono Lake. If coming from
                      the South either Lone Pine or Bishop. Note the new permit Station is
                      now South of Lone Pine.

                      One thing about Inyo is that if you do not have a Reservation you can
                      obtain a Permit starting at Noon TWO days in advance instead of one.

                      Also in the National Forrest Areas if you call ahead they will leave
                      the Permits outside for you to pick up after hours either pinned to a
                      board or a dropbox.

                      frank
                    • thomas taylor
                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                        Frank,

                        I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
                        permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
                        exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
                        enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
                        had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
                        them outside any longer.

                        Thomas

                        --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

                        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patronio@...
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness
                        > Permit in
                        > Tuolumne Meadows
                        > > Ranger Station.
                        > >

                        > If you are starting at Red's you CAN'T p/u a Permit
                        > at TM. TM is only
                        > for hikes that originate in Yosemite. If you are
                        > coming from the Bay
                        > Area the easiest place to get the Permit is Mono
                        > Lake. If coming from
                        > the South either Lone Pine or Bishop. Note the new
                        > permit Station is
                        > now South of Lone Pine.
                        >
                        > One thing about Inyo is that if you do not have a
                        > Reservation you can
                        > obtain a Permit starting at Noon TWO days in advance
                        > instead of one.
                        >
                        > Also in the National Forrest Areas if you call ahead
                        > they will leave
                        > the Permits outside for you to pick up after hours
                        > either pinned to a
                        > board or a dropbox.
                        >
                        > frank

                      • Frank Martin
                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:

                          > Frank,
                          >
                          > I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
                          > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
                          > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
                          > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
                          > had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
                          > them outside any longer.
                          >
                          > Thomas

                          That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I picked them up
                          afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in Lone Pine for George
                          Creek. That was in May/June.

                          thanks,

                          frank
                        • thomas taylor
                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                            I think they said that this was a new rule for the
                            national parks or whitney only. They will put the
                            permit in the overnight box for trips that do not
                            enter a NP. I called in to reserve for another hike
                            and they put it on the overnight box at Mono Lake
                            Visitors Center.

                            Thomas
                            --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

                            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor
                            > <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Frank,
                            > >
                            > > I think you are right about not being able to
                            > obtain a
                            > > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds
                            > and
                            > > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved
                            > > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said
                            > > had to pick it up in person - that they don't
                            > leave
                            > > them outside any longer.
                            > >
                            > > Thomas
                            >
                            > That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I
                            > picked them up
                            > afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in
                            > Lone Pine for George
                            > Creek. That was in May/June.
                            >
                            > thanks,
                            >
                            > frank

                            Best regards,

                            Thomas

                            Thomas Taylor
                            tgtaylor7@...
                            http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
                          • clairehiker
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 25, 2008
                              You have to reserve and pick up your permit from whatever agency the
                              trailhead starts in, and it is good for the whole trip, even if you
                              cross other national parks or forests. For Reds Meadow, it is Inyo
                              National Forest
                              http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/howto.shtml

                              Claire

                              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Martin" <sriprank@...>
                              wrote:

                              > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@>
                              wrote:

                              > > Frank,
                              > >
                              > > I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
                              > > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
                              > > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
                              > > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
                              > > had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
                              > > them outside any longer.
                              > >
                              > > Thomas
                              >
                              > That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I picked them up
                              > afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in Lone Pine for
                              George
                              > Creek. That was in May/June.
                              >
                              > thanks,
                              >
                              > frank

                            • Kevin Aston
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 25, 2008
                                When you call for a permit, just tell them that you are going in at
                                Reds. We did it last year and had no problem. You can pick it up at
                                the same place you would pick up any of the backcountry permits.
                                GoodLuck
                                Kevin Aston

                                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "clairehiker" <clairehiker@...>