Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: New Profile Map plus food drops, landmarks, and 21 day itinerary.

  • Prapanna Smith
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
      Except for the price, the service looks pretty much like it did in 2005.

      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
        We're planning a 3 person partial - JMT hike for late July 2008 starting at Red Meadows on the JMT and going all the way down to Whitney Portal. Where does one apply for the permit and where does one physically show up to get the permit, or is it available by mail? If it has to be in person some distance away (like Toulumne Meadows), can it be gotten the afternoon the day before?

        Where do people advise parking the car for such a hike (at Whitney Portal or near Red Meadows)?

        PS -- how difficult is it to purchase a ride from the other end of where one parks to where one needs to get (after or before the trail depending on the answer to the above question)? I believe there is a bus from Bishop to Mammoth Lake but how does one get from Lone Pine to Bishop?

        PPS - how does one get to the Trailhead from Mammoth Lake to Red Meadows?

        Thanks!

        Thanks!

        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
          Sorry for the double posting, I clicked cancel when I saw the redundant window and still Yahoo Mail sent it, go figure.

        • nekeel
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
            I can answer the PPS. From the Mammoth Lodge, you can buy a bus pass
            that will take you down to Reds Meadow. Approximately, 30 to 45
            minutes by bus. Remember that Reds Meadow is inside the Devils
            Postpile National Monument area and you will be charged an entrance
            fee for that also.

            I am attaching a link to the National Park Service regarding the
            shuttle buses:
            http://www.nps.gov/depo/planyourvisit/feesandreservations.htm

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...>
            wrote:

            > Sorry for the double posting, I clicked cancel when I saw the
            redundant window and still Yahoo Mail sent it, go figure.

          • Paul
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
              wrote:
              >Damn I just typed out all the information that you needed and then
              it all got deleted. I did this trail last year and have all your
              answers. Just give me a call 208-484-2718 Paul Walker in Idaho.

              > We're planning a 3 person partial - JMT hike for late July 2008
              starting at Red Meadows on the JMT and going all the way down to
              Whitney Portal. Where does one apply for the permit and where does
              one physically show up to get the permit, or is it available by
              mail? If it has to be in person some distance away (like Toulumne
              Meadows), can it be gotten the afternoon the day before?

              > Where do people advise parking the car for such a hike (at Whitney
              Portal or near Red Meadows)?

              > PS -- how difficult is it to purchase a ride from the other end of
              where one parks to where one needs to get (after or before the trail
              depending on the answer to the above question)? I believe there is
              a bus from Bishop to Mammoth Lake but how does one get from Lone
              Pine to Bishop?

              > PPS - how does one get to the Trailhead from Mammoth Lake to Red
              Meadows?

              > Thanks!
              >
              > Thanks!

            • thomas taylor
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
                Hi Paul,

                You can park your car at the Mammoth Inn Hotel I think
                that's its name) which is located right where you
                catch the shuttle to Reds. They charge $5.00 and you
                leave your keys with them in case they have to move
                the car for some reason. Very safe. You can also
                shower there for $5.00. They supply soap, towel and
                shampoo.

                You can reserve your permit in advance (recommended
                for departing from popular spots like Reds in high
                season like July) at:
                <http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/passes/>

                There is a fee for reserving ($5.00 or $15 - I forgot
                but $15 for entering the Whitney Zone))and you can
                pick up the permitt at the Mono Lake visitors visiting
                center or their office in Bishop or Lone Pine. I
                don't know if there is a location in Mammoth Lakes
                itself where you can pick-up the permitt but ask them.
                It seems like there should be. In the past they
                would put it in the overnight box so that you could
                pick it up before 8am on the day of departure.
                However I believe that they changed that now and
                require you to pick it up in person.

                By the way, you can stay free one night at Reds
                Campground: Good restaurant and a HOT, HOT bath. The
                campground store is OK for snacks and such but poor
                for backpacker necessities. However you can get
                everything and anything you could possibly need in
                Mammoth Lakes which is a popular rest stop for thru
                hikers on the PCT.

                By the way, by starting from Reds you'll be missing
                some great scenery between Donahue Pass and Reds in
                the Ansel Adams Wilderness but there will be plenty
                ahead of you!! Have a good trip. I hope to see you
                on the trail.

                Thomas
                --- Paul <eaglepdub@...> wrote:

                > --- In johnmuirt

                rail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin
                > <roleigh@...>
                > wrote:
                > >Damn I just typed out all the information that you
                > needed and then
                > it all got deleted. I did this trail last year and
                > have all your
                > answers. Just give me a call 208-484-2718 Paul
                > Walker in Idaho.
                >

                > > We're planning a 3 person partial - JMT hike for
                > late July 2008
                > starting at Red Meadows on the JMT and going all the
                > way down to
                > Whitney Portal. Where does one apply for the permit
                > and where does
                > one physically show up to get the permit, or is it
                > available by
                > mail? If it has to be in person some distance away
                > (like Toulumne
                > Meadows), can it be gotten the afternoon the day
                > before?
                > >
                > > Where do people advise parking the car for such a
                > hike (at Whitney
                > Portal or near Red Meadows)?
                > >
                > > PS -- how difficult is it to purchase a ride from
                > the other end of
                > where one parks to where one needs to get (after or
                > before the trail
                > depending on the answer to the above question)? I
                > believe there is
                > a bus from Bishop to Mammoth Lake but how does one
                > get from Lone
                > Pine to Bishop?
                > >
                > > PPS - how does one get to the Trailhead from
                > Mammoth Lake to Red
                > Meadows?
                > >
                > > Thanks!
                > >
                > > Thanks!

                > removed]

                Best regards,

                Thomas

                Thomas Taylor
                tgtaylor7@...
                http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
              • Patronio@aol.com
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
                  The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness Permit in Tuolumne Meadows
                  Ranger Station.

                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
                    There is a shuttle that takes you from Mammoth Lakes, right to Reds Meadows
                    ranger station and the Mulehouse cafe if you like. It is very easy and fun, for
                    a side trip if you wish to go down to town.

                  • thomas taylor
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
                      One probably could get a permit at Tuolumne Meadows
                      also, but the Inyo website states the following:

                      Where can I pick up my wilderness permit? We recommend
                      you pick up your reserved permit at the location
                      closest to your entry trailhead. Inyo National Forest
                      wilderness permits are issued at the following
                      locations:

                      Eastern Sierra InterAgency Visitor Center
                      Junction of Highway 395 and State Route 136
                      2 miles south of Lone Pine, CA
                      (760)876-6200 or TDD(760)876-6201

                      White Mountain Ranger Station
                      798 N. Main Street
                      Bishop, CA 93514
                      (760)873-2500 or TDD (760) 873-2501

                      Mammoth Lakes Visitor Center
                      2500 Main Street
                      Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546
                      (760) 924-5500 or TDD (760) 924-5531

                      Mono Basin Scenic Area Visitor Center
                      P.O. Box 429 (North of Lee Vining on Hwy 395)
                      Lee Vining, CA 93541
                      (760) 647-3044 or TDD (760) 647-3045

                      updated Nov.2006

                      I thought you could pick it up in Mammoth Lakes but I
                      always went to either Momo Lake or Bishop.

                      Thomas

                      --- Patronio@... wrote:

                      > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness
                      > Permit in Tuolumne Meadows
                      > Ranger Station.

                      > removed]

                      Best regards,

                      Thomas

                      Thomas Taylor
                      tgtaylor7@...
                      http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
                    • Frank Martin
                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patronio@... wrote:

                        > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness Permit in
                        Tuolumne Meadows
                        > Ranger Station.

                        If you are starting at Red's you CAN'T p/u a Permit at TM. TM is only
                        for hikes that originate in Yosemite. If you are coming from the Bay
                        Area the easiest place to get the Permit is Mono Lake. If coming from
                        the South either Lone Pine or Bishop. Note the new permit Station is
                        now South of Lone Pine.

                        One thing about Inyo is that if you do not have a Reservation you can
                        obtain a Permit starting at Noon TWO days in advance instead of one.

                        Also in the National Forrest Areas if you call ahead they will leave
                        the Permits outside for you to pick up after hours either pinned to a
                        board or a dropbox.

                        frank
                      • thomas taylor
                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                          Frank,

                          I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
                          permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
                          exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
                          enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
                          had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
                          them outside any longer.

                          Thomas

                          --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

                          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patronio@...
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness
                          > Permit in
                          > Tuolumne Meadows
                          > > Ranger Station.
                          > >

                          > If you are starting at Red's you CAN'T p/u a Permit
                          > at TM. TM is only
                          > for hikes that originate in Yosemite. If you are
                          > coming from the Bay
                          > Area the easiest place to get the Permit is Mono
                          > Lake. If coming from
                          > the South either Lone Pine or Bishop. Note the new
                          > permit Station is
                          > now South of Lone Pine.
                          >
                          > One thing about Inyo is that if you do not have a
                          > Reservation you can
                          > obtain a Permit starting at Noon TWO days in advance
                          > instead of one.
                          >
                          > Also in the National Forrest Areas if you call ahead
                          > they will leave
                          > the Permits outside for you to pick up after hours
                          > either pinned to a
                          > board or a dropbox.
                          >
                          > frank

                        • Frank Martin
                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:

                            > Frank,
                            >
                            > I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
                            > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
                            > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
                            > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
                            > had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
                            > them outside any longer.
                            >
                            > Thomas

                            That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I picked them up
                            afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in Lone Pine for George
                            Creek. That was in May/June.

                            thanks,

                            frank
                          • thomas taylor
                            Message 13 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                              I think they said that this was a new rule for the
                              national parks or whitney only. They will put the
                              permit in the overnight box for trips that do not
                              enter a NP. I called in to reserve for another hike
                              and they put it on the overnight box at Mono Lake
                              Visitors Center.

                              Thomas
                              --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

                              > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor
                              > <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Frank,
                              > >
                              > > I think you are right about not being able to
                              > obtain a
                              > > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds
                              > and
                              > > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved
                              > > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said
                              > > had to pick it up in person - that they don't
                              > leave
                              > > them outside any longer.
                              > >
                              > > Thomas
                              >
                              > That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I
                              > picked them up
                              > afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in
                              > Lone Pine for George
                              > Creek. That was in May/June.
                              >
                              > thanks,
                              >
                              > frank

                              Best regards,

                              Thomas

                              Thomas Taylor
                              tgtaylor7@...
                              http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
                            • clairehiker
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 25, 2008
                                You have to reserve and pick up your permit from whatever agency the
                                trailhead starts in, and it is good for the whole trip, even if you
                                cross other national parks or forests. For Reds Meadow, it is Inyo
                                National Forest
                                http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/howto.shtml

                                Claire

                                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Martin" <sriprank@...>
                                wrote:

                                > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@>
                                wrote:

                                > > Frank,
                                > >
                                > > I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
                                > > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
                                > > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
                                > > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
                                > > had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
                                > > them outside any longer.
                                > >
                                > > Thomas
                                >
                                > That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I picked them up
                                > afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in Lone Pine for
                                George
                                > Creek. That was in May/June.
                                >
                                > thanks,
                                >
                                > frank

                              • Kevin Aston
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 25, 2008
                                  When you call for a permit, just tell them that you are going in at
                                  Reds. We did it last year and had no problem. You can pick it up at
                                  the same place you would pick up any of the backcountry permits.
                                  GoodLuck
                                  Kevin Aston

                                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "clairehiker" <clairehiker@...>