Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: New Profile Map plus food drops, landmarks, and 21 day itinerary.

  • Patt gray
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 1 5:05 PM
      Prapanna....A suggestion. . . .take a look at the Muir Trail Ranch web site..they have changed several of the perimeters for the Food Cache Resupply.tho I know the rationale for the changes I was unaware of them until recently. . . Patt

      rapanna Smith <prapanna@...> wrote:
      On my JMT hike in 2005 my final resupply was at Muir Trail Ranch,
      which is at about the
      halfway point of the trail. Anyone should be able to finish a South-
      bound hike from there
      without a resupply. You can have several resupply points during the
      first half of the hike,
      and thus carry relatively lighter loads while you get acclimated and
      in good shape. The
      Muir Trail Ranch only charges about $40 to bring in a paint bucket
      full of supplies.

      Prapanna

      On Dec 1, 2007, at 12:08 PM, Brian wrote:

      > My guide to what scale I used was dependant on making it fit on a
      > regular sheet of paper, 8.5x11
      >
      > I didn't know you couldn't leave food at Charlotte Lake so I guess now
      > you have to have a friend bring it in.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      patt gray

    • Bob Bankhead
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 1 5:21 PM
        see http://www.muirtrailranch.com/resupply.html

        price is now $50

        Prapanna....A suggestion. . . .take a look at the Muir Trail Ranch web site..they have changed several of the perimeters for the Food Cache Resupply.tho I know the rationale for the changes I was unaware of them until recently. . . Patt

        .

      • Prapanna Smith
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 1 5:33 PM
          Except for the price, the service looks pretty much like it did in 2005.

          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 1 7:08 PM
            We're planning a 3 person partial - JMT hike for late July 2008 starting at Red Meadows on the JMT and going all the way down to Whitney Portal. Where does one apply for the permit and where does one physically show up to get the permit, or is it available by mail? If it has to be in person some distance away (like Toulumne Meadows), can it be gotten the afternoon the day before?

            Where do people advise parking the car for such a hike (at Whitney Portal or near Red Meadows)?

            PS -- how difficult is it to purchase a ride from the other end of where one parks to where one needs to get (after or before the trail depending on the answer to the above question)? I believe there is a bus from Bishop to Mammoth Lake but how does one get from Lone Pine to Bishop?

            PPS - how does one get to the Trailhead from Mammoth Lake to Red Meadows?

            Thanks!

            Thanks!

            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 1 7:10 PM
              Sorry for the double posting, I clicked cancel when I saw the redundant window and still Yahoo Mail sent it, go figure.

            • nekeel
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 1 7:16 PM
                I can answer the PPS. From the Mammoth Lodge, you can buy a bus pass
                that will take you down to Reds Meadow. Approximately, 30 to 45
                minutes by bus. Remember that Reds Meadow is inside the Devils
                Postpile National Monument area and you will be charged an entrance
                fee for that also.

                I am attaching a link to the National Park Service regarding the
                shuttle buses:
                http://www.nps.gov/depo/planyourvisit/feesandreservations.htm

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...>
                wrote:

                > Sorry for the double posting, I clicked cancel when I saw the
                redundant window and still Yahoo Mail sent it, go figure.

              • Paul
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 1 9:40 PM
                  wrote:
                  >Damn I just typed out all the information that you needed and then
                  it all got deleted. I did this trail last year and have all your
                  answers. Just give me a call 208-484-2718 Paul Walker in Idaho.

                  > We're planning a 3 person partial - JMT hike for late July 2008
                  starting at Red Meadows on the JMT and going all the way down to
                  Whitney Portal. Where does one apply for the permit and where does
                  one physically show up to get the permit, or is it available by
                  mail? If it has to be in person some distance away (like Toulumne
                  Meadows), can it be gotten the afternoon the day before?

                  > Where do people advise parking the car for such a hike (at Whitney
                  Portal or near Red Meadows)?

                  > PS -- how difficult is it to purchase a ride from the other end of
                  where one parks to where one needs to get (after or before the trail
                  depending on the answer to the above question)? I believe there is
                  a bus from Bishop to Mammoth Lake but how does one get from Lone
                  Pine to Bishop?

                  > PPS - how does one get to the Trailhead from Mammoth Lake to Red
                  Meadows?

                  > Thanks!
                  >
                  > Thanks!

                • thomas taylor
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 2 11:32 AM
                    Hi Paul,

                    You can park your car at the Mammoth Inn Hotel I think
                    that's its name) which is located right where you
                    catch the shuttle to Reds. They charge $5.00 and you
                    leave your keys with them in case they have to move
                    the car for some reason. Very safe. You can also
                    shower there for $5.00. They supply soap, towel and
                    shampoo.

                    You can reserve your permit in advance (recommended
                    for departing from popular spots like Reds in high
                    season like July) at:
                    <http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/passes/>

                    There is a fee for reserving ($5.00 or $15 - I forgot
                    but $15 for entering the Whitney Zone))and you can
                    pick up the permitt at the Mono Lake visitors visiting
                    center or their office in Bishop or Lone Pine. I
                    don't know if there is a location in Mammoth Lakes
                    itself where you can pick-up the permitt but ask them.
                    It seems like there should be. In the past they
                    would put it in the overnight box so that you could
                    pick it up before 8am on the day of departure.
                    However I believe that they changed that now and
                    require you to pick it up in person.

                    By the way, you can stay free one night at Reds
                    Campground: Good restaurant and a HOT, HOT bath. The
                    campground store is OK for snacks and such but poor
                    for backpacker necessities. However you can get
                    everything and anything you could possibly need in
                    Mammoth Lakes which is a popular rest stop for thru
                    hikers on the PCT.

                    By the way, by starting from Reds you'll be missing
                    some great scenery between Donahue Pass and Reds in
                    the Ansel Adams Wilderness but there will be plenty
                    ahead of you!! Have a good trip. I hope to see you
                    on the trail.

                    Thomas
                    --- Paul <eaglepdub@...> wrote:

                    > --- In johnmuirt

                    rail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin
                    > <roleigh@...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >Damn I just typed out all the information that you
                    > needed and then
                    > it all got deleted. I did this trail last year and
                    > have all your
                    > answers. Just give me a call 208-484-2718 Paul
                    > Walker in Idaho.
                    >

                    > > We're planning a 3 person partial - JMT hike for
                    > late July 2008
                    > starting at Red Meadows on the JMT and going all the
                    > way down to
                    > Whitney Portal. Where does one apply for the permit
                    > and where does
                    > one physically show up to get the permit, or is it
                    > available by
                    > mail? If it has to be in person some distance away
                    > (like Toulumne
                    > Meadows), can it be gotten the afternoon the day
                    > before?
                    > >
                    > > Where do people advise parking the car for such a
                    > hike (at Whitney
                    > Portal or near Red Meadows)?
                    > >
                    > > PS -- how difficult is it to purchase a ride from
                    > the other end of
                    > where one parks to where one needs to get (after or
                    > before the trail
                    > depending on the answer to the above question)? I
                    > believe there is
                    > a bus from Bishop to Mammoth Lake but how does one
                    > get from Lone
                    > Pine to Bishop?
                    > >
                    > > PPS - how does one get to the Trailhead from
                    > Mammoth Lake to Red
                    > Meadows?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks!
                    > >
                    > > Thanks!

                    > removed]

                    Best regards,

                    Thomas

                    Thomas Taylor
                    tgtaylor7@...
                    http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
                  • Patronio@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 2 2:31 PM
                      The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness Permit in Tuolumne Meadows
                      Ranger Station.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 2 2:32 PM
                        There is a shuttle that takes you from Mammoth Lakes, right to Reds Meadows
                        ranger station and the Mulehouse cafe if you like. It is very easy and fun, for
                        a side trip if you wish to go down to town.

                      • thomas taylor
                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 2 3:49 PM
                          One probably could get a permit at Tuolumne Meadows
                          also, but the Inyo website states the following:

                          Where can I pick up my wilderness permit? We recommend
                          you pick up your reserved permit at the location
                          closest to your entry trailhead. Inyo National Forest
                          wilderness permits are issued at the following
                          locations:

                          Eastern Sierra InterAgency Visitor Center
                          Junction of Highway 395 and State Route 136
                          2 miles south of Lone Pine, CA
                          (760)876-6200 or TDD(760)876-6201

                          White Mountain Ranger Station
                          798 N. Main Street
                          Bishop, CA 93514
                          (760)873-2500 or TDD (760) 873-2501

                          Mammoth Lakes Visitor Center
                          2500 Main Street
                          Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546
                          (760) 924-5500 or TDD (760) 924-5531

                          Mono Basin Scenic Area Visitor Center
                          P.O. Box 429 (North of Lee Vining on Hwy 395)
                          Lee Vining, CA 93541
                          (760) 647-3044 or TDD (760) 647-3045

                          updated Nov.2006

                          I thought you could pick it up in Mammoth Lakes but I
                          always went to either Momo Lake or Bishop.

                          Thomas

                          --- Patronio@... wrote:

                          > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness
                          > Permit in Tuolumne Meadows
                          > Ranger Station.

                          > removed]

                          Best regards,

                          Thomas

                          Thomas Taylor
                          tgtaylor7@...
                          http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
                        • Frank Martin
                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 3 5:00 AM
                            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patronio@... wrote:

                            > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness Permit in
                            Tuolumne Meadows
                            > Ranger Station.

                            If you are starting at Red's you CAN'T p/u a Permit at TM. TM is only
                            for hikes that originate in Yosemite. If you are coming from the Bay
                            Area the easiest place to get the Permit is Mono Lake. If coming from
                            the South either Lone Pine or Bishop. Note the new permit Station is
                            now South of Lone Pine.

                            One thing about Inyo is that if you do not have a Reservation you can
                            obtain a Permit starting at Noon TWO days in advance instead of one.

                            Also in the National Forrest Areas if you call ahead they will leave
                            the Permits outside for you to pick up after hours either pinned to a
                            board or a dropbox.

                            frank
                          • thomas taylor
                            Message 13 of 28 , Dec 3 7:55 AM
                              Frank,

                              I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
                              permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
                              exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
                              enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
                              had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
                              them outside any longer.

                              Thomas

                              --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

                              > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patronio@...
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness
                              > Permit in
                              > Tuolumne Meadows
                              > > Ranger Station.
                              > >

                              > If you are starting at Red's you CAN'T p/u a Permit
                              > at TM. TM is only
                              > for hikes that originate in Yosemite. If you are
                              > coming from the Bay
                              > Area the easiest place to get the Permit is Mono
                              > Lake. If coming from
                              > the South either Lone Pine or Bishop. Note the new
                              > permit Station is
                              > now South of Lone Pine.
                              >
                              > One thing about Inyo is that if you do not have a
                              > Reservation you can
                              > obtain a Permit starting at Noon TWO days in advance
                              > instead of one.
                              >
                              > Also in the National Forrest Areas if you call ahead
                              > they will leave
                              > the Permits outside for you to pick up after hours
                              > either pinned to a
                              > board or a dropbox.
                              >
                              > frank

                            • Frank Martin
                              Message 14 of 28 , Dec 3 8:40 AM
                                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:

                                > Frank,
                                >
                                > I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
                                > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
                                > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
                                > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
                                > had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
                                > them outside any longer.
                                >
                                > Thomas

                                That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I picked them up
                                afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in Lone Pine for George
                                Creek. That was in May/June.

                                thanks,

                                frank
                              • thomas taylor
                                Message 15 of 28 , Dec 3 9:05 AM
                                  I think they said that this was a new rule for the
                                  national parks or whitney only. They will put the
                                  permit in the overnight box for trips that do not
                                  enter a NP. I called in to reserve for another hike
                                  and they put it on the overnight box at Mono Lake
                                  Visitors Center.

                                  Thomas
                                  --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

                                  > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor
                                  > <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Frank,
                                  > >
                                  > > I think you are right about not being able to
                                  > obtain a
                                  > > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds
                                  > and
                                  > > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved
                                  > > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said
                                  > > had to pick it up in person - that they don't
                                  > leave
                                  > > them outside any longer.
                                  > >
                                  > > Thomas
                                  >
                                  > That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I
                                  > picked them up
                                  > afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in
                                  > Lone Pine for George
                                  > Creek. That was in May/June.
                                  >
                                  > thanks,
                                  >
                                  > frank

                                  Best regards,

                                  Thomas

                                  Thomas Taylor
                                  tgtaylor7@...
                                  http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
                                • clairehiker
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jan 25, 2008
                                    You have to reserve and pick up your permit from whatever agency the
                                    trailhead starts in, and it is good for the whole trip, even if you
                                    cross other national parks or forests. For Reds Meadow, it is Inyo
                                    National Forest
                                    http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/howto.shtml

                                    Claire

                                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Martin" <sriprank@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@>
                                    wrote:

                                    > > Frank,
                                    > >
                                    > > I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
                                    > > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
                                    > > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
                                    > > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
                                    > > had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
                                    > > them outside any longer.
                                    > >
                                    > > Thomas
                                    >
                                    > That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I picked them up
                                    > afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in Lone Pine for
                                    George
                                    > Creek. That was in May/June.
                                    >
                                    > thanks,
                                    >
                                    > frank

                                  • Kevin Aston
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jan 25, 2008
                                      When you call for a permit, just tell them that you are going in at
                                      Reds. We did it last year and had no problem. You can pick it up at
                                      the same place you would pick up any of the backcountry permits.
                                      GoodLuck
                                      Kevin Aston

                                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "clairehiker" <clairehiker@...>