Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: New Profile Map plus food drops, landmarks, and 21 day itinerary.

  • Prapanna Smith
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
      On my JMT hike in 2005 my final resupply was at Muir Trail Ranch,
      which is at about the
      halfway point of the trail. Anyone should be able to finish a South-
      bound hike from there
      without a resupply. You can have several resupply points during the
      first half of the hike,
      and thus carry relatively lighter loads while you get acclimated and
      in good shape. The
      Muir Trail Ranch only charges about $40 to bring in a paint bucket
      full of supplies.

      Prapanna

      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
        We're planning a 3 person partial - JMT hike for late July 2008 starting at Red Meadows on the JMT and going all the way down to Whitney Portal. Where does one apply for the permit and where does one physically show up to get the permit, or is it available by mail? If it has to be in person some distance away (like Toulumne Meadows), can it be gotten the afternoon the day before?

        Where do people advise parking the car for such a hike (at Whitney Portal or near Red Meadows)?

        PS -- how difficult is it to purchase a ride from the other end of where one parks to where one needs to get (after or before the trail depending on the answer to the above question)? I believe there is a bus from Bishop to Mammoth Lake but how does one get from Lone Pine to Bishop?

        PPS - how does one get to the Trailhead from Mammoth Lake to Red Meadows?

        Thanks!

        Thanks!

      • hmdsierra
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
          Three of us started JMT in 1982 for a 25 day trip. We left the
          majority of the food at Red's Meadow so we could come out of Yosemite
          Valley light. We left the Valley on a Sunday and arrived at Red's
          Mdw. early Friday. At that point a bad knee dropped my friend out.
          We had intended to finish the trip from there without resupply. My
          then 10 year old son and I too enough for the next two weeks. My
          friend intended to meet us at Vidette and finish. His knee was still
          bothering him so he and his wife brought in enough for my son and I to
          finish. My friend met us at Vidette on Friday and picked us up at
          Whitney Portal the following Wednesday. The years since have brought
          some improvement in so things. Drink mix now uses Nutrasweet instead
          of sugar for a weight and volume saving. Same for Jell-O. I use
          about a pound a day per person. We cook on wood fires where possible
          and we cook instead of using freeze dry food. This requires a few
          pans which adds a bit of weight and takes some space. We eat well.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...> wrote:

          > On my JMT hike in 2005 my final resupply was at Muir Trail Ranch,
          > which is at about the
          > halfway point of the trail. Anyone should be able to finish a South-
          > bound hike from there
          > without a resupply. You can have several resupply points during the
          > first half of the hike,
          > and thus carry relatively lighter loads while you get acclimated and
          > in good shape. The
          > Muir Trail Ranch only charges about $40 to bring in a paint bucket
          > full of supplies.
          >
          > Prapanna
          >
          > On Dec 1, 2007, at 12:08 PM, Brian wrote:
          >
          > > My guide to what scale I used was dependant on making it fit on a
          > > regular sheet of paper, 8.5x11
          > >
          > > I didn't know you couldn't leave food at Charlotte Lake so I guess now
          > > you have to have a friend bring it in.

        • Patt gray
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
            Prapanna....A suggestion. . . .take a look at the Muir Trail Ranch web site..they have changed several of the perimeters for the Food Cache Resupply.tho I know the rationale for the changes I was unaware of them until recently. . . Patt

            rapanna Smith <prapanna@...> wrote:
            On my JMT hike in 2005 my final resupply was at Muir Trail Ranch,
            which is at about the
            halfway point of the trail. Anyone should be able to finish a South-
            bound hike from there
            without a resupply. You can have several resupply points during the
            first half of the hike,
            and thus carry relatively lighter loads while you get acclimated and
            in good shape. The
            Muir Trail Ranch only charges about $40 to bring in a paint bucket
            full of supplies.

            Prapanna

            On Dec 1, 2007, at 12:08 PM, Brian wrote:

            > My guide to what scale I used was dependant on making it fit on a
            > regular sheet of paper, 8.5x11
            >
            > I didn't know you couldn't leave food at Charlotte Lake so I guess now
            > you have to have a friend bring it in.

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            patt gray

          • Bob Bankhead
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
              see http://www.muirtrailranch.com/resupply.html

              price is now $50

              Prapanna....A suggestion. . . .take a look at the Muir Trail Ranch web site..they have changed several of the perimeters for the Food Cache Resupply.tho I know the rationale for the changes I was unaware of them until recently. . . Patt

              .

            • Prapanna Smith
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
                Except for the price, the service looks pretty much like it did in 2005.

                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
                    Sorry for the double posting, I clicked cancel when I saw the redundant window and still Yahoo Mail sent it, go figure.

                  • nekeel
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
                      I can answer the PPS. From the Mammoth Lodge, you can buy a bus pass
                      that will take you down to Reds Meadow. Approximately, 30 to 45
                      minutes by bus. Remember that Reds Meadow is inside the Devils
                      Postpile National Monument area and you will be charged an entrance
                      fee for that also.

                      I am attaching a link to the National Park Service regarding the
                      shuttle buses:
                      http://www.nps.gov/depo/planyourvisit/feesandreservations.htm

                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Sorry for the double posting, I clicked cancel when I saw the
                      redundant window and still Yahoo Mail sent it, go figure.

                    • Paul
                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
                        wrote:
                        >Damn I just typed out all the information that you needed and then
                        it all got deleted. I did this trail last year and have all your
                        answers. Just give me a call 208-484-2718 Paul Walker in Idaho.

                        > We're planning a 3 person partial - JMT hike for late July 2008
                        starting at Red Meadows on the JMT and going all the way down to
                        Whitney Portal. Where does one apply for the permit and where does
                        one physically show up to get the permit, or is it available by
                        mail? If it has to be in person some distance away (like Toulumne
                        Meadows), can it be gotten the afternoon the day before?

                        > Where do people advise parking the car for such a hike (at Whitney
                        Portal or near Red Meadows)?

                        > PS -- how difficult is it to purchase a ride from the other end of
                        where one parks to where one needs to get (after or before the trail
                        depending on the answer to the above question)? I believe there is
                        a bus from Bishop to Mammoth Lake but how does one get from Lone
                        Pine to Bishop?

                        > PPS - how does one get to the Trailhead from Mammoth Lake to Red
                        Meadows?

                        > Thanks!
                        >
                        > Thanks!

                      • thomas taylor
                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
                          Hi Paul,

                          You can park your car at the Mammoth Inn Hotel I think
                          that's its name) which is located right where you
                          catch the shuttle to Reds. They charge $5.00 and you
                          leave your keys with them in case they have to move
                          the car for some reason. Very safe. You can also
                          shower there for $5.00. They supply soap, towel and
                          shampoo.

                          You can reserve your permit in advance (recommended
                          for departing from popular spots like Reds in high
                          season like July) at:
                          <http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/passes/>

                          There is a fee for reserving ($5.00 or $15 - I forgot
                          but $15 for entering the Whitney Zone))and you can
                          pick up the permitt at the Mono Lake visitors visiting
                          center or their office in Bishop or Lone Pine. I
                          don't know if there is a location in Mammoth Lakes
                          itself where you can pick-up the permitt but ask them.
                          It seems like there should be. In the past they
                          would put it in the overnight box so that you could
                          pick it up before 8am on the day of departure.
                          However I believe that they changed that now and
                          require you to pick it up in person.

                          By the way, you can stay free one night at Reds
                          Campground: Good restaurant and a HOT, HOT bath. The
                          campground store is OK for snacks and such but poor
                          for backpacker necessities. However you can get
                          everything and anything you could possibly need in
                          Mammoth Lakes which is a popular rest stop for thru
                          hikers on the PCT.

                          By the way, by starting from Reds you'll be missing
                          some great scenery between Donahue Pass and Reds in
                          the Ansel Adams Wilderness but there will be plenty
                          ahead of you!! Have a good trip. I hope to see you
                          on the trail.

                          Thomas
                          --- Paul <eaglepdub@...> wrote:

                          > --- In johnmuirt

                          rail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin
                          > <roleigh@...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >Damn I just typed out all the information that you
                          > needed and then
                          > it all got deleted. I did this trail last year and
                          > have all your
                          > answers. Just give me a call 208-484-2718 Paul
                          > Walker in Idaho.
                          >

                          > > We're planning a 3 person partial - JMT hike for
                          > late July 2008
                          > starting at Red Meadows on the JMT and going all the
                          > way down to
                          > Whitney Portal. Where does one apply for the permit
                          > and where does
                          > one physically show up to get the permit, or is it
                          > available by
                          > mail? If it has to be in person some distance away
                          > (like Toulumne
                          > Meadows), can it be gotten the afternoon the day
                          > before?
                          > >
                          > > Where do people advise parking the car for such a
                          > hike (at Whitney
                          > Portal or near Red Meadows)?
                          > >
                          > > PS -- how difficult is it to purchase a ride from
                          > the other end of
                          > where one parks to where one needs to get (after or
                          > before the trail
                          > depending on the answer to the above question)? I
                          > believe there is
                          > a bus from Bishop to Mammoth Lake but how does one
                          > get from Lone
                          > Pine to Bishop?
                          > >
                          > > PPS - how does one get to the Trailhead from
                          > Mammoth Lake to Red
                          > Meadows?
                          > >
                          > > Thanks!
                          > >
                          > > Thanks!

                          > removed]

                          Best regards,

                          Thomas

                          Thomas Taylor
                          tgtaylor7@...
                          http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
                        • Patronio@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
                            The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness Permit in Tuolumne Meadows
                            Ranger Station.

                            Message 13 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
                              There is a shuttle that takes you from Mammoth Lakes, right to Reds Meadows
                              ranger station and the Mulehouse cafe if you like. It is very easy and fun, for
                              a side trip if you wish to go down to town.

                            • thomas taylor
                              Message 14 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
                                One probably could get a permit at Tuolumne Meadows
                                also, but the Inyo website states the following:

                                Where can I pick up my wilderness permit? We recommend
                                you pick up your reserved permit at the location
                                closest to your entry trailhead. Inyo National Forest
                                wilderness permits are issued at the following
                                locations:

                                Eastern Sierra InterAgency Visitor Center
                                Junction of Highway 395 and State Route 136
                                2 miles south of Lone Pine, CA
                                (760)876-6200 or TDD(760)876-6201

                                White Mountain Ranger Station
                                798 N. Main Street
                                Bishop, CA 93514
                                (760)873-2500 or TDD (760) 873-2501

                                Mammoth Lakes Visitor Center
                                2500 Main Street
                                Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546
                                (760) 924-5500 or TDD (760) 924-5531

                                Mono Basin Scenic Area Visitor Center
                                P.O. Box 429 (North of Lee Vining on Hwy 395)
                                Lee Vining, CA 93541
                                (760) 647-3044 or TDD (760) 647-3045

                                updated Nov.2006

                                I thought you could pick it up in Mammoth Lakes but I
                                always went to either Momo Lake or Bishop.

                                Thomas

                                --- Patronio@... wrote:

                                > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness
                                > Permit in Tuolumne Meadows
                                > Ranger Station.

                                > removed]

                                Best regards,

                                Thomas

                                Thomas Taylor
                                tgtaylor7@...
                                http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
                              • Frank Martin
                                Message 15 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patronio@... wrote:

                                  > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness Permit in
                                  Tuolumne Meadows
                                  > Ranger Station.

                                  If you are starting at Red's you CAN'T p/u a Permit at TM. TM is only
                                  for hikes that originate in Yosemite. If you are coming from the Bay
                                  Area the easiest place to get the Permit is Mono Lake. If coming from
                                  the South either Lone Pine or Bishop. Note the new permit Station is
                                  now South of Lone Pine.

                                  One thing about Inyo is that if you do not have a Reservation you can
                                  obtain a Permit starting at Noon TWO days in advance instead of one.

                                  Also in the National Forrest Areas if you call ahead they will leave
                                  the Permits outside for you to pick up after hours either pinned to a
                                  board or a dropbox.

                                  frank
                                • thomas taylor
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                                    Frank,

                                    I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
                                    permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
                                    exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
                                    enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
                                    had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
                                    them outside any longer.

                                    Thomas

                                    --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

                                    > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patronio@...
                                    > wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness
                                    > Permit in
                                    > Tuolumne Meadows
                                    > > Ranger Station.
                                    > >

                                    > If you are starting at Red's you CAN'T p/u a Permit
                                    > at TM. TM is only
                                    > for hikes that originate in Yosemite. If you are
                                    > coming from the Bay
                                    > Area the easiest place to get the Permit is Mono
                                    > Lake. If coming from
                                    > the South either Lone Pine or Bishop. Note the new
                                    > permit Station is
                                    > now South of Lone Pine.
                                    >
                                    > One thing about Inyo is that if you do not have a
                                    > Reservation you can
                                    > obtain a Permit starting at Noon TWO days in advance
                                    > instead of one.
                                    >
                                    > Also in the National Forrest Areas if you call ahead
                                    > they will leave
                                    > the Permits outside for you to pick up after hours
                                    > either pinned to a
                                    > board or a dropbox.
                                    >
                                    > frank

                                  • Frank Martin
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:

                                      > Frank,
                                      >
                                      > I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
                                      > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
                                      > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
                                      > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
                                      > had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
                                      > them outside any longer.
                                      >
                                      > Thomas

                                      That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I picked them up
                                      afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in Lone Pine for George
                                      Creek. That was in May/June.

                                      thanks,

                                      frank
                                    • thomas taylor
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                                        I think they said that this was a new rule for the
                                        national parks or whitney only. They will put the
                                        permit in the overnight box for trips that do not
                                        enter a NP. I called in to reserve for another hike
                                        and they put it on the overnight box at Mono Lake
                                        Visitors Center.

                                        Thomas
                                        --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

                                        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor
                                        > <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Frank,
                                        > >
                                        > > I think you are right about not being able to
                                        > obtain a
                                        > > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds
                                        > and
                                        > > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved
                                        > > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said
                                        > > had to pick it up in person - that they don't
                                        > leave
                                        > > them outside any longer.
                                        > >
                                        > > Thomas
                                        >
                                        > That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I
                                        > picked them up
                                        > afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in
                                        > Lone Pine for George
                                        > Creek. That was in May/June.
                                        >
                                        > thanks,
                                        >
                                        > frank

                                        Best regards,

                                        Thomas

                                        Thomas Taylor
                                        tgtaylor7@...
                                        http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
                                      • clairehiker
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jan 25, 2008
                                          You have to reserve and pick up your permit from whatever agency the
                                          trailhead starts in, and it is good for the whole trip, even if you
                                          cross other national parks or forests. For Reds Meadow, it is Inyo
                                          National Forest
                                          http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/howto.shtml

                                          Claire

                                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Martin" <sriprank@...>
                                          wrote:

                                          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@>
                                          wrote:

                                          > > Frank,
                                          > >
                                          > > I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
                                          > > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
                                          > > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
                                          > > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
                                          > > had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
                                          > > them outside any longer.
                                          > >
                                          > > Thomas
                                          >
                                          > That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I picked them up
                                          > afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in Lone Pine for
                                          George
                                          > Creek. That was in May/June.
                                          >
                                          > thanks,
                                          >
                                          > frank

                                        • Kevin Aston
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jan 25, 2008
                                            When you call for a permit, just tell them that you are going in at
                                            Reds. We did it last year and had no problem. You can pick it up at
                                            the same place you would pick up any of the backcountry permits.
                                            GoodLuck
                                            Kevin Aston

                                            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "clairehiker" <clairehiker@...>