Re: New Profile Map plus food drops, landmarks, and 21 day itinerary.

  • onkelb0b
    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 30, 2007
      Ooops error in my post...
      Checking the journal the food drop was at Cedar Grove Ranger Station.
      I hitched a ride to there from Roads End and back again.
      ANd it is true, you cannot have packers leave food in bear boxes on
      the trail, especially on the popular routes (Rae Lakes Loop,
      Charlotte, etc.) I met a friend at Woods Creek (I was the mule) and
      accompanied him through to Vidette.
    • Brian
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
        My guide to what scale I used was dependant on making it fit on a
        regular sheet of paper, 8.5x11

        I didn't know you couldn't leave food at Charlotte Lake so I guess now
        you have to have a friend bring it in.
      • Prapanna Smith
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
          On my JMT hike in 2005 my final resupply was at Muir Trail Ranch,
          which is at about the
          halfway point of the trail. Anyone should be able to finish a South-
          bound hike from there
          without a resupply. You can have several resupply points during the
          first half of the hike,
          and thus carry relatively lighter loads while you get acclimated and
          in good shape. The
          Muir Trail Ranch only charges about $40 to bring in a paint bucket
          full of supplies.

          Prapanna

          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
            We're planning a 3 person partial - JMT hike for late July 2008 starting at Red Meadows on the JMT and going all the way down to Whitney Portal. Where does one apply for the permit and where does one physically show up to get the permit, or is it available by mail? If it has to be in person some distance away (like Toulumne Meadows), can it be gotten the afternoon the day before?

            Where do people advise parking the car for such a hike (at Whitney Portal or near Red Meadows)?

            PS -- how difficult is it to purchase a ride from the other end of where one parks to where one needs to get (after or before the trail depending on the answer to the above question)? I believe there is a bus from Bishop to Mammoth Lake but how does one get from Lone Pine to Bishop?

            PPS - how does one get to the Trailhead from Mammoth Lake to Red Meadows?

            Thanks!

            Thanks!

          • hmdsierra
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
              Three of us started JMT in 1982 for a 25 day trip. We left the
              majority of the food at Red's Meadow so we could come out of Yosemite
              Valley light. We left the Valley on a Sunday and arrived at Red's
              Mdw. early Friday. At that point a bad knee dropped my friend out.
              We had intended to finish the trip from there without resupply. My
              then 10 year old son and I too enough for the next two weeks. My
              friend intended to meet us at Vidette and finish. His knee was still
              bothering him so he and his wife brought in enough for my son and I to
              finish. My friend met us at Vidette on Friday and picked us up at
              Whitney Portal the following Wednesday. The years since have brought
              some improvement in so things. Drink mix now uses Nutrasweet instead
              of sugar for a weight and volume saving. Same for Jell-O. I use
              about a pound a day per person. We cook on wood fires where possible
              and we cook instead of using freeze dry food. This requires a few
              pans which adds a bit of weight and takes some space. We eat well.

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...> wrote:

              > On my JMT hike in 2005 my final resupply was at Muir Trail Ranch,
              > which is at about the
              > halfway point of the trail. Anyone should be able to finish a South-
              > bound hike from there
              > without a resupply. You can have several resupply points during the
              > first half of the hike,
              > and thus carry relatively lighter loads while you get acclimated and
              > in good shape. The
              > Muir Trail Ranch only charges about $40 to bring in a paint bucket
              > full of supplies.
              >
              > Prapanna
              >
              > On Dec 1, 2007, at 12:08 PM, Brian wrote:
              >
              > > My guide to what scale I used was dependant on making it fit on a
              > > regular sheet of paper, 8.5x11
              > >
              > > I didn't know you couldn't leave food at Charlotte Lake so I guess now
              > > you have to have a friend bring it in.

            • Patt gray
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
                Prapanna....A suggestion. . . .take a look at the Muir Trail Ranch web site..they have changed several of the perimeters for the Food Cache Resupply.tho I know the rationale for the changes I was unaware of them until recently. . . Patt

                rapanna Smith <prapanna@...> wrote:
                On my JMT hike in 2005 my final resupply was at Muir Trail Ranch,
                which is at about the
                halfway point of the trail. Anyone should be able to finish a South-
                bound hike from there
                without a resupply. You can have several resupply points during the
                first half of the hike,
                and thus carry relatively lighter loads while you get acclimated and
                in good shape. The
                Muir Trail Ranch only charges about $40 to bring in a paint bucket
                full of supplies.

                Prapanna

                On Dec 1, 2007, at 12:08 PM, Brian wrote:

                > My guide to what scale I used was dependant on making it fit on a
                > regular sheet of paper, 8.5x11
                >
                > I didn't know you couldn't leave food at Charlotte Lake so I guess now
                > you have to have a friend bring it in.

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                patt gray

              • Bob Bankhead
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
                  see http://www.muirtrailranch.com/resupply.html

                  price is now $50

                  Prapanna....A suggestion. . . .take a look at the Muir Trail Ranch web site..they have changed several of the perimeters for the Food Cache Resupply.tho I know the rationale for the changes I was unaware of them until recently. . . Patt

                  .

                • Prapanna Smith
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
                    Except for the price, the service looks pretty much like it did in 2005.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
                        Sorry for the double posting, I clicked cancel when I saw the redundant window and still Yahoo Mail sent it, go figure.

                      • nekeel
                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
                          I can answer the PPS. From the Mammoth Lodge, you can buy a bus pass
                          that will take you down to Reds Meadow. Approximately, 30 to 45
                          minutes by bus. Remember that Reds Meadow is inside the Devils
                          Postpile National Monument area and you will be charged an entrance
                          fee for that also.

                          I am attaching a link to the National Park Service regarding the
                          shuttle buses:
                          http://www.nps.gov/depo/planyourvisit/feesandreservations.htm

                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Sorry for the double posting, I clicked cancel when I saw the
                          redundant window and still Yahoo Mail sent it, go figure.

                        • Paul
                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
                            wrote:
                            >Damn I just typed out all the information that you needed and then
                            it all got deleted. I did this trail last year and have all your
                            answers. Just give me a call 208-484-2718 Paul Walker in Idaho.

                            > We're planning a 3 person partial - JMT hike for late July 2008
                            starting at Red Meadows on the JMT and going all the way down to
                            Whitney Portal. Where does one apply for the permit and where does
                            one physically show up to get the permit, or is it available by
                            mail? If it has to be in person some distance away (like Toulumne
                            Meadows), can it be gotten the afternoon the day before?

                            > Where do people advise parking the car for such a hike (at Whitney
                            Portal or near Red Meadows)?

                            > PS -- how difficult is it to purchase a ride from the other end of
                            where one parks to where one needs to get (after or before the trail
                            depending on the answer to the above question)? I believe there is
                            a bus from Bishop to Mammoth Lake but how does one get from Lone
                            Pine to Bishop?

                            > PPS - how does one get to the Trailhead from Mammoth Lake to Red
                            Meadows?

                            > Thanks!
                            >
                            > Thanks!

                          • thomas taylor
                            Message 13 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
                              Hi Paul,

                              You can park your car at the Mammoth Inn Hotel I think
                              that's its name) which is located right where you
                              catch the shuttle to Reds. They charge $5.00 and you
                              leave your keys with them in case they have to move
                              the car for some reason. Very safe. You can also
                              shower there for $5.00. They supply soap, towel and
                              shampoo.

                              You can reserve your permit in advance (recommended
                              for departing from popular spots like Reds in high
                              season like July) at:
                              <http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/passes/>

                              There is a fee for reserving ($5.00 or $15 - I forgot
                              but $15 for entering the Whitney Zone))and you can
                              pick up the permitt at the Mono Lake visitors visiting
                              center or their office in Bishop or Lone Pine. I
                              don't know if there is a location in Mammoth Lakes
                              itself where you can pick-up the permitt but ask them.
                              It seems like there should be. In the past they
                              would put it in the overnight box so that you could
                              pick it up before 8am on the day of departure.
                              However I believe that they changed that now and
                              require you to pick it up in person.

                              By the way, you can stay free one night at Reds
                              Campground: Good restaurant and a HOT, HOT bath. The
                              campground store is OK for snacks and such but poor
                              for backpacker necessities. However you can get
                              everything and anything you could possibly need in
                              Mammoth Lakes which is a popular rest stop for thru
                              hikers on the PCT.

                              By the way, by starting from Reds you'll be missing
                              some great scenery between Donahue Pass and Reds in
                              the Ansel Adams Wilderness but there will be plenty
                              ahead of you!! Have a good trip. I hope to see you
                              on the trail.

                              Thomas
                              --- Paul <eaglepdub@...> wrote:

                              > --- In johnmuirt

                              rail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin
                              > <roleigh@...>
                              > wrote:
                              > >Damn I just typed out all the information that you
                              > needed and then
                              > it all got deleted. I did this trail last year and
                              > have all your
                              > answers. Just give me a call 208-484-2718 Paul
                              > Walker in Idaho.
                              >

                              > > We're planning a 3 person partial - JMT hike for
                              > late July 2008
                              > starting at Red Meadows on the JMT and going all the
                              > way down to
                              > Whitney Portal. Where does one apply for the permit
                              > and where does
                              > one physically show up to get the permit, or is it
                              > available by
                              > mail? If it has to be in person some distance away
                              > (like Toulumne
                              > Meadows), can it be gotten the afternoon the day
                              > before?
                              > >
                              > > Where do people advise parking the car for such a
                              > hike (at Whitney
                              > Portal or near Red Meadows)?
                              > >
                              > > PS -- how difficult is it to purchase a ride from
                              > the other end of
                              > where one parks to where one needs to get (after or
                              > before the trail
                              > depending on the answer to the above question)? I
                              > believe there is
                              > a bus from Bishop to Mammoth Lake but how does one
                              > get from Lone
                              > Pine to Bishop?
                              > >
                              > > PPS - how does one get to the Trailhead from
                              > Mammoth Lake to Red
                              > Meadows?
                              > >
                              > > Thanks!
                              > >
                              > > Thanks!

                              > removed]

                              Best regards,

                              Thomas

                              Thomas Taylor
                              tgtaylor7@...
                              http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
                            • Patronio@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
                                The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness Permit in Tuolumne Meadows
                                Ranger Station.

                                Message 15 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
                                  There is a shuttle that takes you from Mammoth Lakes, right to Reds Meadows
                                  ranger station and the Mulehouse cafe if you like. It is very easy and fun, for
                                  a side trip if you wish to go down to town.

                                • thomas taylor
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
                                    One probably could get a permit at Tuolumne Meadows
                                    also, but the Inyo website states the following:

                                    Where can I pick up my wilderness permit? We recommend
                                    you pick up your reserved permit at the location
                                    closest to your entry trailhead. Inyo National Forest
                                    wilderness permits are issued at the following
                                    locations:

                                    Eastern Sierra InterAgency Visitor Center
                                    Junction of Highway 395 and State Route 136
                                    2 miles south of Lone Pine, CA
                                    (760)876-6200 or TDD(760)876-6201

                                    White Mountain Ranger Station
                                    798 N. Main Street
                                    Bishop, CA 93514
                                    (760)873-2500 or TDD (760) 873-2501

                                    Mammoth Lakes Visitor Center
                                    2500 Main Street
                                    Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546
                                    (760) 924-5500 or TDD (760) 924-5531

                                    Mono Basin Scenic Area Visitor Center
                                    P.O. Box 429 (North of Lee Vining on Hwy 395)
                                    Lee Vining, CA 93541
                                    (760) 647-3044 or TDD (760) 647-3045

                                    updated Nov.2006

                                    I thought you could pick it up in Mammoth Lakes but I
                                    always went to either Momo Lake or Bishop.

                                    Thomas

                                    --- Patronio@... wrote:

                                    > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness
                                    > Permit in Tuolumne Meadows
                                    > Ranger Station.

                                    > removed]

                                    Best regards,

                                    Thomas

                                    Thomas Taylor
                                    tgtaylor7@...
                                    http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
                                  • Frank Martin
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patronio@... wrote:

                                      > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness Permit in
                                      Tuolumne Meadows
                                      > Ranger Station.

                                      If you are starting at Red's you CAN'T p/u a Permit at TM. TM is only
                                      for hikes that originate in Yosemite. If you are coming from the Bay
                                      Area the easiest place to get the Permit is Mono Lake. If coming from
                                      the South either Lone Pine or Bishop. Note the new permit Station is
                                      now South of Lone Pine.

                                      One thing about Inyo is that if you do not have a Reservation you can
                                      obtain a Permit starting at Noon TWO days in advance instead of one.

                                      Also in the National Forrest Areas if you call ahead they will leave
                                      the Permits outside for you to pick up after hours either pinned to a
                                      board or a dropbox.

                                      frank
                                    • thomas taylor
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                                        Frank,

                                        I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
                                        permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
                                        exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
                                        enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
                                        had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
                                        them outside any longer.

                                        Thomas

                                        --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

                                        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patronio@...
                                        > wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness
                                        > Permit in
                                        > Tuolumne Meadows
                                        > > Ranger Station.
                                        > >

                                        > If you are starting at Red's you CAN'T p/u a Permit
                                        > at TM. TM is only
                                        > for hikes that originate in Yosemite. If you are
                                        > coming from the Bay
                                        > Area the easiest place to get the Permit is Mono
                                        > Lake. If coming from
                                        > the South either Lone Pine or Bishop. Note the new
                                        > permit Station is
                                        > now South of Lone Pine.
                                        >
                                        > One thing about Inyo is that if you do not have a
                                        > Reservation you can
                                        > obtain a Permit starting at Noon TWO days in advance
                                        > instead of one.
                                        >
                                        > Also in the National Forrest Areas if you call ahead
                                        > they will leave
                                        > the Permits outside for you to pick up after hours
                                        > either pinned to a
                                        > board or a dropbox.
                                        >
                                        > frank

                                      • Frank Martin
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:

                                          > Frank,
                                          >
                                          > I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
                                          > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
                                          > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
                                          > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
                                          > had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
                                          > them outside any longer.
                                          >
                                          > Thomas

                                          That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I picked them up
                                          afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in Lone Pine for George
                                          Creek. That was in May/June.

                                          thanks,

                                          frank
                                        • thomas taylor
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                                            I think they said that this was a new rule for the
                                            national parks or whitney only. They will put the
                                            permit in the overnight box for trips that do not
                                            enter a NP. I called in to reserve for another hike
                                            and they put it on the overnight box at Mono Lake
                                            Visitors Center.

                                            Thomas
                                            --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

                                            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor
                                            > <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Frank,
                                            > >
                                            > > I think you are right about not being able to
                                            > obtain a
                                            > > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds
                                            > and
                                            > > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved
                                            > > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said
                                            > > had to pick it up in person - that they don't
                                            > leave
                                            > > them outside any longer.
                                            > >
                                            > > Thomas
                                            >
                                            > That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I
                                            > picked them up
                                            > afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in
                                            > Lone Pine for George
                                            > Creek. That was in May/June.
                                            >
                                            > thanks,
                                            >
                                            > frank

                                            Best regards,

                                            Thomas

                                            Thomas Taylor
                                            tgtaylor7@...
                                            http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
                                          • clairehiker
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jan 25, 2008
                                              You have to reserve and pick up your permit from whatever agency the
                                              trailhead starts in, and it is good for the whole trip, even if you
                                              cross other national parks or forests. For Reds Meadow, it is Inyo
                                              National Forest
                                              http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/howto.shtml

                                              Claire

                                              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Martin" <sriprank@...>
                                              wrote:

                                              > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@>
                                              wrote:

                                              > > Frank,
                                              > >
                                              > > I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
                                              > > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
                                              > > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
                                              > > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
                                              > > had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
                                              > > them outside any longer.
                                              > >
                                              > > Thomas
                                              >
                                              > That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I picked them up
                                              > afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in Lone Pine for
                                              George
                                              > Creek. That was in May/June.
                                              >
                                              > thanks,
                                              >
                                              > frank

                                            • Kevin Aston
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jan 25, 2008
                                                When you call for a permit, just tell them that you are going in at
                                                Reds. We did it last year and had no problem. You can pick it up at
                                                the same place you would pick up any of the backcountry permits.
                                                GoodLuck
                                                Kevin Aston

                                                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "clairehiker" <clairehiker@...>