Re: [John Muir Trail] New Profile Map plus food drops, landmarks, and 21 day itinerary.

  • Bob Bankhead
    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 30, 2007
      I spoke to a packer out of Onion Valley this past spring regarding just such a drop. I was told it was no longer possible. The rangers now require packers to meet their party; no more drops. I think the quoted cost was $400 or $450 for a packer, his horse, and a pack animal to meet me at the Charlotte Lake/PCT trail junction, and I had to make a specific rendevouz date.

      Also, packers only have a limited number of allowed trips each season. One trip is no longer a round-trip. The new regs re-defined one trip to be a one-way journey. That means going in to a destination is one trip; back out to the pack station is another. The allowed number of trips did not increase. That means it's more expensive for the client.

      There are pack services that will meet you along the trail and wait for you until you get there, but they're expensive. Exact amounts depend on where you want to be met and which packer does the job.

      The only bear boxes that I know for certain are available for longer term food storage are those at the Tuolumne Meadows Wilderness Center. They have about 24 of them along the edge of the parking lot for hikers to share. I asked when I was there. We stored food for 3 days without having to worry about a ranger throwing it away. Bear boxes in other locations, like Onion Valley, are for overnight storage only. You could risk losing your suppies planning otherwise.

      Wandering Bob

      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 30, 2007
        Ooops error in my post...
        Checking the journal the food drop was at Cedar Grove Ranger Station.
        I hitched a ride to there from Roads End and back again.
        ANd it is true, you cannot have packers leave food in bear boxes on
        the trail, especially on the popular routes (Rae Lakes Loop,
        Charlotte, etc.) I met a friend at Woods Creek (I was the mule) and
        accompanied him through to Vidette.
      • Brian
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
          My guide to what scale I used was dependant on making it fit on a
          regular sheet of paper, 8.5x11

          I didn't know you couldn't leave food at Charlotte Lake so I guess now
          you have to have a friend bring it in.
        • Prapanna Smith
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
            On my JMT hike in 2005 my final resupply was at Muir Trail Ranch,
            which is at about the
            halfway point of the trail. Anyone should be able to finish a South-
            bound hike from there
            without a resupply. You can have several resupply points during the
            first half of the hike,
            and thus carry relatively lighter loads while you get acclimated and
            in good shape. The
            Muir Trail Ranch only charges about $40 to bring in a paint bucket
            full of supplies.

            Prapanna

            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
              We're planning a 3 person partial - JMT hike for late July 2008 starting at Red Meadows on the JMT and going all the way down to Whitney Portal. Where does one apply for the permit and where does one physically show up to get the permit, or is it available by mail? If it has to be in person some distance away (like Toulumne Meadows), can it be gotten the afternoon the day before?

              Where do people advise parking the car for such a hike (at Whitney Portal or near Red Meadows)?

              PS -- how difficult is it to purchase a ride from the other end of where one parks to where one needs to get (after or before the trail depending on the answer to the above question)? I believe there is a bus from Bishop to Mammoth Lake but how does one get from Lone Pine to Bishop?

              PPS - how does one get to the Trailhead from Mammoth Lake to Red Meadows?

              Thanks!

              Thanks!

            • hmdsierra
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
                Three of us started JMT in 1982 for a 25 day trip. We left the
                majority of the food at Red's Meadow so we could come out of Yosemite
                Valley light. We left the Valley on a Sunday and arrived at Red's
                Mdw. early Friday. At that point a bad knee dropped my friend out.
                We had intended to finish the trip from there without resupply. My
                then 10 year old son and I too enough for the next two weeks. My
                friend intended to meet us at Vidette and finish. His knee was still
                bothering him so he and his wife brought in enough for my son and I to
                finish. My friend met us at Vidette on Friday and picked us up at
                Whitney Portal the following Wednesday. The years since have brought
                some improvement in so things. Drink mix now uses Nutrasweet instead
                of sugar for a weight and volume saving. Same for Jell-O. I use
                about a pound a day per person. We cook on wood fires where possible
                and we cook instead of using freeze dry food. This requires a few
                pans which adds a bit of weight and takes some space. We eat well.

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...> wrote:

                > On my JMT hike in 2005 my final resupply was at Muir Trail Ranch,
                > which is at about the
                > halfway point of the trail. Anyone should be able to finish a South-
                > bound hike from there
                > without a resupply. You can have several resupply points during the
                > first half of the hike,
                > and thus carry relatively lighter loads while you get acclimated and
                > in good shape. The
                > Muir Trail Ranch only charges about $40 to bring in a paint bucket
                > full of supplies.
                >
                > Prapanna
                >
                > On Dec 1, 2007, at 12:08 PM, Brian wrote:
                >
                > > My guide to what scale I used was dependant on making it fit on a
                > > regular sheet of paper, 8.5x11
                > >
                > > I didn't know you couldn't leave food at Charlotte Lake so I guess now
                > > you have to have a friend bring it in.

              • Patt gray
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
                  Prapanna....A suggestion. . . .take a look at the Muir Trail Ranch web site..they have changed several of the perimeters for the Food Cache Resupply.tho I know the rationale for the changes I was unaware of them until recently. . . Patt

                  rapanna Smith <prapanna@...> wrote:
                  On my JMT hike in 2005 my final resupply was at Muir Trail Ranch,
                  which is at about the
                  halfway point of the trail. Anyone should be able to finish a South-
                  bound hike from there
                  without a resupply. You can have several resupply points during the
                  first half of the hike,
                  and thus carry relatively lighter loads while you get acclimated and
                  in good shape. The
                  Muir Trail Ranch only charges about $40 to bring in a paint bucket
                  full of supplies.

                  Prapanna

                  On Dec 1, 2007, at 12:08 PM, Brian wrote:

                  > My guide to what scale I used was dependant on making it fit on a
                  > regular sheet of paper, 8.5x11
                  >
                  > I didn't know you couldn't leave food at Charlotte Lake so I guess now
                  > you have to have a friend bring it in.

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  patt gray

                • Bob Bankhead
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
                    see http://www.muirtrailranch.com/resupply.html

                    price is now $50

                    Prapanna....A suggestion. . . .take a look at the Muir Trail Ranch web site..they have changed several of the perimeters for the Food Cache Resupply.tho I know the rationale for the changes I was unaware of them until recently. . . Patt

                    .

                  • Prapanna Smith
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
                      Except for the price, the service looks pretty much like it did in 2005.

                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
                          Sorry for the double posting, I clicked cancel when I saw the redundant window and still Yahoo Mail sent it, go figure.

                        • nekeel
                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
                            I can answer the PPS. From the Mammoth Lodge, you can buy a bus pass
                            that will take you down to Reds Meadow. Approximately, 30 to 45
                            minutes by bus. Remember that Reds Meadow is inside the Devils
                            Postpile National Monument area and you will be charged an entrance
                            fee for that also.

                            I am attaching a link to the National Park Service regarding the
                            shuttle buses:
                            http://www.nps.gov/depo/planyourvisit/feesandreservations.htm

                            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Sorry for the double posting, I clicked cancel when I saw the
                            redundant window and still Yahoo Mail sent it, go figure.

                          • Paul
                            Message 13 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
                              wrote:
                              >Damn I just typed out all the information that you needed and then
                              it all got deleted. I did this trail last year and have all your
                              answers. Just give me a call 208-484-2718 Paul Walker in Idaho.

                              > We're planning a 3 person partial - JMT hike for late July 2008
                              starting at Red Meadows on the JMT and going all the way down to
                              Whitney Portal. Where does one apply for the permit and where does
                              one physically show up to get the permit, or is it available by
                              mail? If it has to be in person some distance away (like Toulumne
                              Meadows), can it be gotten the afternoon the day before?

                              > Where do people advise parking the car for such a hike (at Whitney
                              Portal or near Red Meadows)?

                              > PS -- how difficult is it to purchase a ride from the other end of
                              where one parks to where one needs to get (after or before the trail
                              depending on the answer to the above question)? I believe there is
                              a bus from Bishop to Mammoth Lake but how does one get from Lone
                              Pine to Bishop?

                              > PPS - how does one get to the Trailhead from Mammoth Lake to Red
                              Meadows?

                              > Thanks!
                              >
                              > Thanks!

                            • thomas taylor
                              Message 14 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
                                Hi Paul,

                                You can park your car at the Mammoth Inn Hotel I think
                                that's its name) which is located right where you
                                catch the shuttle to Reds. They charge $5.00 and you
                                leave your keys with them in case they have to move
                                the car for some reason. Very safe. You can also
                                shower there for $5.00. They supply soap, towel and
                                shampoo.

                                You can reserve your permit in advance (recommended
                                for departing from popular spots like Reds in high
                                season like July) at:
                                <http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/passes/>

                                There is a fee for reserving ($5.00 or $15 - I forgot
                                but $15 for entering the Whitney Zone))and you can
                                pick up the permitt at the Mono Lake visitors visiting
                                center or their office in Bishop or Lone Pine. I
                                don't know if there is a location in Mammoth Lakes
                                itself where you can pick-up the permitt but ask them.
                                It seems like there should be. In the past they
                                would put it in the overnight box so that you could
                                pick it up before 8am on the day of departure.
                                However I believe that they changed that now and
                                require you to pick it up in person.

                                By the way, you can stay free one night at Reds
                                Campground: Good restaurant and a HOT, HOT bath. The
                                campground store is OK for snacks and such but poor
                                for backpacker necessities. However you can get
                                everything and anything you could possibly need in
                                Mammoth Lakes which is a popular rest stop for thru
                                hikers on the PCT.

                                By the way, by starting from Reds you'll be missing
                                some great scenery between Donahue Pass and Reds in
                                the Ansel Adams Wilderness but there will be plenty
                                ahead of you!! Have a good trip. I hope to see you
                                on the trail.

                                Thomas
                                --- Paul <eaglepdub@...> wrote:

                                > --- In johnmuirt

                                rail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin
                                > <roleigh@...>
                                > wrote:
                                > >Damn I just typed out all the information that you
                                > needed and then
                                > it all got deleted. I did this trail last year and
                                > have all your
                                > answers. Just give me a call 208-484-2718 Paul
                                > Walker in Idaho.
                                >

                                > > We're planning a 3 person partial - JMT hike for
                                > late July 2008
                                > starting at Red Meadows on the JMT and going all the
                                > way down to
                                > Whitney Portal. Where does one apply for the permit
                                > and where does
                                > one physically show up to get the permit, or is it
                                > available by
                                > mail? If it has to be in person some distance away
                                > (like Toulumne
                                > Meadows), can it be gotten the afternoon the day
                                > before?
                                > >
                                > > Where do people advise parking the car for such a
                                > hike (at Whitney
                                > Portal or near Red Meadows)?
                                > >
                                > > PS -- how difficult is it to purchase a ride from
                                > the other end of
                                > where one parks to where one needs to get (after or
                                > before the trail
                                > depending on the answer to the above question)? I
                                > believe there is
                                > a bus from Bishop to Mammoth Lake but how does one
                                > get from Lone
                                > Pine to Bishop?
                                > >
                                > > PPS - how does one get to the Trailhead from
                                > Mammoth Lake to Red
                                > Meadows?
                                > >
                                > > Thanks!
                                > >
                                > > Thanks!

                                > removed]

                                Best regards,

                                Thomas

                                Thomas Taylor
                                tgtaylor7@...
                                http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
                              • Patronio@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
                                  The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness Permit in Tuolumne Meadows
                                  Ranger Station.

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
                                    There is a shuttle that takes you from Mammoth Lakes, right to Reds Meadows
                                    ranger station and the Mulehouse cafe if you like. It is very easy and fun, for
                                    a side trip if you wish to go down to town.

                                  • thomas taylor
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
                                      One probably could get a permit at Tuolumne Meadows
                                      also, but the Inyo website states the following:

                                      Where can I pick up my wilderness permit? We recommend
                                      you pick up your reserved permit at the location
                                      closest to your entry trailhead. Inyo National Forest
                                      wilderness permits are issued at the following
                                      locations:

                                      Eastern Sierra InterAgency Visitor Center
                                      Junction of Highway 395 and State Route 136
                                      2 miles south of Lone Pine, CA
                                      (760)876-6200 or TDD(760)876-6201

                                      White Mountain Ranger Station
                                      798 N. Main Street
                                      Bishop, CA 93514
                                      (760)873-2500 or TDD (760) 873-2501

                                      Mammoth Lakes Visitor Center
                                      2500 Main Street
                                      Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546
                                      (760) 924-5500 or TDD (760) 924-5531

                                      Mono Basin Scenic Area Visitor Center
                                      P.O. Box 429 (North of Lee Vining on Hwy 395)
                                      Lee Vining, CA 93541
                                      (760) 647-3044 or TDD (760) 647-3045

                                      updated Nov.2006

                                      I thought you could pick it up in Mammoth Lakes but I
                                      always went to either Momo Lake or Bishop.

                                      Thomas

                                      --- Patronio@... wrote:

                                      > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness
                                      > Permit in Tuolumne Meadows
                                      > Ranger Station.

                                      > removed]

                                      Best regards,

                                      Thomas

                                      Thomas Taylor
                                      tgtaylor7@...
                                      http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
                                    • Frank Martin
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patronio@... wrote:

                                        > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness Permit in
                                        Tuolumne Meadows
                                        > Ranger Station.

                                        If you are starting at Red's you CAN'T p/u a Permit at TM. TM is only
                                        for hikes that originate in Yosemite. If you are coming from the Bay
                                        Area the easiest place to get the Permit is Mono Lake. If coming from
                                        the South either Lone Pine or Bishop. Note the new permit Station is
                                        now South of Lone Pine.

                                        One thing about Inyo is that if you do not have a Reservation you can
                                        obtain a Permit starting at Noon TWO days in advance instead of one.

                                        Also in the National Forrest Areas if you call ahead they will leave
                                        the Permits outside for you to pick up after hours either pinned to a
                                        board or a dropbox.

                                        frank
                                      • thomas taylor
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                                          Frank,

                                          I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
                                          permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
                                          exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
                                          enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
                                          had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
                                          them outside any longer.

                                          Thomas

                                          --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

                                          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patronio@...
                                          > wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness
                                          > Permit in
                                          > Tuolumne Meadows
                                          > > Ranger Station.
                                          > >

                                          > If you are starting at Red's you CAN'T p/u a Permit
                                          > at TM. TM is only
                                          > for hikes that originate in Yosemite. If you are
                                          > coming from the Bay
                                          > Area the easiest place to get the Permit is Mono
                                          > Lake. If coming from
                                          > the South either Lone Pine or Bishop. Note the new
                                          > permit Station is
                                          > now South of Lone Pine.
                                          >
                                          > One thing about Inyo is that if you do not have a
                                          > Reservation you can
                                          > obtain a Permit starting at Noon TWO days in advance
                                          > instead of one.
                                          >
                                          > Also in the National Forrest Areas if you call ahead
                                          > they will leave
                                          > the Permits outside for you to pick up after hours
                                          > either pinned to a
                                          > board or a dropbox.
                                          >
                                          > frank

                                        • Frank Martin
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                                            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:

                                            > Frank,
                                            >
                                            > I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
                                            > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
                                            > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
                                            > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
                                            > had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
                                            > them outside any longer.
                                            >
                                            > Thomas

                                            That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I picked them up
                                            afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in Lone Pine for George
                                            Creek. That was in May/June.

                                            thanks,

                                            frank
                                          • thomas taylor
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                                              I think they said that this was a new rule for the
                                              national parks or whitney only. They will put the
                                              permit in the overnight box for trips that do not
                                              enter a NP. I called in to reserve for another hike
                                              and they put it on the overnight box at Mono Lake
                                              Visitors Center.

                                              Thomas
                                              --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

                                              > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor
                                              > <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > Frank,
                                              > >
                                              > > I think you are right about not being able to
                                              > obtain a
                                              > > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds
                                              > and
                                              > > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved
                                              > > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said
                                              > > had to pick it up in person - that they don't
                                              > leave
                                              > > them outside any longer.
                                              > >
                                              > > Thomas
                                              >
                                              > That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I
                                              > picked them up
                                              > afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in
                                              > Lone Pine for George
                                              > Creek. That was in May/June.
                                              >
                                              > thanks,
                                              >
                                              > frank

                                              Best regards,

                                              Thomas

                                              Thomas Taylor
                                              tgtaylor7@...
                                              http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
                                            • clairehiker
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jan 25, 2008
                                                You have to reserve and pick up your permit from whatever agency the
                                                trailhead starts in, and it is good for the whole trip, even if you
                                                cross other national parks or forests. For Reds Meadow, it is Inyo
                                                National Forest
                                                http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/howto.shtml

                                                Claire

                                                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Martin" <sriprank@...>
                                                wrote:

                                                > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@>
                                                wrote:

                                                > > Frank,
                                                > >
                                                > > I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
                                                > > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
                                                > > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
                                                > > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
                                                > > had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
                                                > > them outside any longer.
                                                > >
                                                > > Thomas
                                                >
                                                > That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I picked them up
                                                > afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in Lone Pine for
                                                George
                                                > Creek. That was in May/June.
                                                >
                                                > thanks,
                                                >
                                                > frank

                                              • Kevin Aston
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jan 25, 2008
                                                  When you call for a permit, just tell them that you are going in at
                                                  Reds. We did it last year and had no problem. You can pick it up at
                                                  the same place you would pick up any of the backcountry permits.
                                                  GoodLuck
                                                  Kevin Aston

                                                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "clairehiker" <clairehiker@...>