Re: New Profile Map plus food drops, landmarks, and 21 day itinerary.

  • onkelb0b
    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 30, 2007
      What is your vertical exaggeration on this map? It looks like it is
      more than the standard 10 times rise over run.
      I had my profiles posted on on Google at one time, but I closed the
      account and so will need to repost them sometime (After finals!!)
      One possible food drop or pick up is at Kings Canyon/Woods Creek. You
      can send food to the Ranger Station at Roads End. It's a schelp, but I
      was able to get from Upper Paradise campsite (5 miles from JMT Woods
      Creek) to Roads End and back up to Upper Paradise in one long day.
      It's breaking the rules to a point (you're only supposed to stay on
      night at any of the Paradise sites) but the ranger cut me some slack
      since I was through hiking.
    • Bob Bankhead
      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 30, 2007
        I spoke to a packer out of Onion Valley this past spring regarding just such a drop. I was told it was no longer possible. The rangers now require packers to meet their party; no more drops. I think the quoted cost was $400 or $450 for a packer, his horse, and a pack animal to meet me at the Charlotte Lake/PCT trail junction, and I had to make a specific rendevouz date.

        Also, packers only have a limited number of allowed trips each season. One trip is no longer a round-trip. The new regs re-defined one trip to be a one-way journey. That means going in to a destination is one trip; back out to the pack station is another. The allowed number of trips did not increase. That means it's more expensive for the client.

        There are pack services that will meet you along the trail and wait for you until you get there, but they're expensive. Exact amounts depend on where you want to be met and which packer does the job.

        The only bear boxes that I know for certain are available for longer term food storage are those at the Tuolumne Meadows Wilderness Center. They have about 24 of them along the edge of the parking lot for hikers to share. I asked when I was there. We stored food for 3 days without having to worry about a ranger throwing it away. Bear boxes in other locations, like Onion Valley, are for overnight storage only. You could risk losing your suppies planning otherwise.

        Wandering Bob

        Message 3 of 28 , Nov 30, 2007
          Ooops error in my post...
          Checking the journal the food drop was at Cedar Grove Ranger Station.
          I hitched a ride to there from Roads End and back again.
          ANd it is true, you cannot have packers leave food in bear boxes on
          the trail, especially on the popular routes (Rae Lakes Loop,
          Charlotte, etc.) I met a friend at Woods Creek (I was the mule) and
          accompanied him through to Vidette.
        • Brian
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
            My guide to what scale I used was dependant on making it fit on a
            regular sheet of paper, 8.5x11

            I didn't know you couldn't leave food at Charlotte Lake so I guess now
            you have to have a friend bring it in.
          • Prapanna Smith
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
              On my JMT hike in 2005 my final resupply was at Muir Trail Ranch,
              which is at about the
              halfway point of the trail. Anyone should be able to finish a South-
              bound hike from there
              without a resupply. You can have several resupply points during the
              first half of the hike,
              and thus carry relatively lighter loads while you get acclimated and
              in good shape. The
              Muir Trail Ranch only charges about $40 to bring in a paint bucket
              full of supplies.

              Prapanna

              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
                We're planning a 3 person partial - JMT hike for late July 2008 starting at Red Meadows on the JMT and going all the way down to Whitney Portal. Where does one apply for the permit and where does one physically show up to get the permit, or is it available by mail? If it has to be in person some distance away (like Toulumne Meadows), can it be gotten the afternoon the day before?

                Where do people advise parking the car for such a hike (at Whitney Portal or near Red Meadows)?

                PS -- how difficult is it to purchase a ride from the other end of where one parks to where one needs to get (after or before the trail depending on the answer to the above question)? I believe there is a bus from Bishop to Mammoth Lake but how does one get from Lone Pine to Bishop?

                PPS - how does one get to the Trailhead from Mammoth Lake to Red Meadows?

                Thanks!

                Thanks!

              • hmdsierra
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
                  Three of us started JMT in 1982 for a 25 day trip. We left the
                  majority of the food at Red's Meadow so we could come out of Yosemite
                  Valley light. We left the Valley on a Sunday and arrived at Red's
                  Mdw. early Friday. At that point a bad knee dropped my friend out.
                  We had intended to finish the trip from there without resupply. My
                  then 10 year old son and I too enough for the next two weeks. My
                  friend intended to meet us at Vidette and finish. His knee was still
                  bothering him so he and his wife brought in enough for my son and I to
                  finish. My friend met us at Vidette on Friday and picked us up at
                  Whitney Portal the following Wednesday. The years since have brought
                  some improvement in so things. Drink mix now uses Nutrasweet instead
                  of sugar for a weight and volume saving. Same for Jell-O. I use
                  about a pound a day per person. We cook on wood fires where possible
                  and we cook instead of using freeze dry food. This requires a few
                  pans which adds a bit of weight and takes some space. We eat well.

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...> wrote:

                  > On my JMT hike in 2005 my final resupply was at Muir Trail Ranch,
                  > which is at about the
                  > halfway point of the trail. Anyone should be able to finish a South-
                  > bound hike from there
                  > without a resupply. You can have several resupply points during the
                  > first half of the hike,
                  > and thus carry relatively lighter loads while you get acclimated and
                  > in good shape. The
                  > Muir Trail Ranch only charges about $40 to bring in a paint bucket
                  > full of supplies.
                  >
                  > Prapanna
                  >
                  > On Dec 1, 2007, at 12:08 PM, Brian wrote:
                  >
                  > > My guide to what scale I used was dependant on making it fit on a
                  > > regular sheet of paper, 8.5x11
                  > >
                  > > I didn't know you couldn't leave food at Charlotte Lake so I guess now
                  > > you have to have a friend bring it in.

                • Patt gray
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
                    Prapanna....A suggestion. . . .take a look at the Muir Trail Ranch web site..they have changed several of the perimeters for the Food Cache Resupply.tho I know the rationale for the changes I was unaware of them until recently. . . Patt

                    rapanna Smith <prapanna@...> wrote:
                    On my JMT hike in 2005 my final resupply was at Muir Trail Ranch,
                    which is at about the
                    halfway point of the trail. Anyone should be able to finish a South-
                    bound hike from there
                    without a resupply. You can have several resupply points during the
                    first half of the hike,
                    and thus carry relatively lighter loads while you get acclimated and
                    in good shape. The
                    Muir Trail Ranch only charges about $40 to bring in a paint bucket
                    full of supplies.

                    Prapanna

                    On Dec 1, 2007, at 12:08 PM, Brian wrote:

                    > My guide to what scale I used was dependant on making it fit on a
                    > regular sheet of paper, 8.5x11
                    >
                    > I didn't know you couldn't leave food at Charlotte Lake so I guess now
                    > you have to have a friend bring it in.

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    patt gray

                  • Bob Bankhead
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
                      see http://www.muirtrailranch.com/resupply.html

                      price is now $50

                      Prapanna....A suggestion. . . .take a look at the Muir Trail Ranch web site..they have changed several of the perimeters for the Food Cache Resupply.tho I know the rationale for the changes I was unaware of them until recently. . . Patt

                      .

                    • Prapanna Smith
                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
                        Except for the price, the service looks pretty much like it did in 2005.

                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
                            Sorry for the double posting, I clicked cancel when I saw the redundant window and still Yahoo Mail sent it, go figure.

                          • nekeel
                            Message 13 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
                              I can answer the PPS. From the Mammoth Lodge, you can buy a bus pass
                              that will take you down to Reds Meadow. Approximately, 30 to 45
                              minutes by bus. Remember that Reds Meadow is inside the Devils
                              Postpile National Monument area and you will be charged an entrance
                              fee for that also.

                              I am attaching a link to the National Park Service regarding the
                              shuttle buses:
                              http://www.nps.gov/depo/planyourvisit/feesandreservations.htm

                              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...>
                              wrote:

                              > Sorry for the double posting, I clicked cancel when I saw the
                              redundant window and still Yahoo Mail sent it, go figure.

                            • Paul
                              Message 14 of 28 , Dec 1, 2007
                                wrote:
                                >Damn I just typed out all the information that you needed and then
                                it all got deleted. I did this trail last year and have all your
                                answers. Just give me a call 208-484-2718 Paul Walker in Idaho.

                                > We're planning a 3 person partial - JMT hike for late July 2008
                                starting at Red Meadows on the JMT and going all the way down to
                                Whitney Portal. Where does one apply for the permit and where does
                                one physically show up to get the permit, or is it available by
                                mail? If it has to be in person some distance away (like Toulumne
                                Meadows), can it be gotten the afternoon the day before?

                                > Where do people advise parking the car for such a hike (at Whitney
                                Portal or near Red Meadows)?

                                > PS -- how difficult is it to purchase a ride from the other end of
                                where one parks to where one needs to get (after or before the trail
                                depending on the answer to the above question)? I believe there is
                                a bus from Bishop to Mammoth Lake but how does one get from Lone
                                Pine to Bishop?

                                > PPS - how does one get to the Trailhead from Mammoth Lake to Red
                                Meadows?

                                > Thanks!
                                >
                                > Thanks!

                              • thomas taylor
                                Message 15 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
                                  Hi Paul,

                                  You can park your car at the Mammoth Inn Hotel I think
                                  that's its name) which is located right where you
                                  catch the shuttle to Reds. They charge $5.00 and you
                                  leave your keys with them in case they have to move
                                  the car for some reason. Very safe. You can also
                                  shower there for $5.00. They supply soap, towel and
                                  shampoo.

                                  You can reserve your permit in advance (recommended
                                  for departing from popular spots like Reds in high
                                  season like July) at:
                                  <http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/passes/>

                                  There is a fee for reserving ($5.00 or $15 - I forgot
                                  but $15 for entering the Whitney Zone))and you can
                                  pick up the permitt at the Mono Lake visitors visiting
                                  center or their office in Bishop or Lone Pine. I
                                  don't know if there is a location in Mammoth Lakes
                                  itself where you can pick-up the permitt but ask them.
                                  It seems like there should be. In the past they
                                  would put it in the overnight box so that you could
                                  pick it up before 8am on the day of departure.
                                  However I believe that they changed that now and
                                  require you to pick it up in person.

                                  By the way, you can stay free one night at Reds
                                  Campground: Good restaurant and a HOT, HOT bath. The
                                  campground store is OK for snacks and such but poor
                                  for backpacker necessities. However you can get
                                  everything and anything you could possibly need in
                                  Mammoth Lakes which is a popular rest stop for thru
                                  hikers on the PCT.

                                  By the way, by starting from Reds you'll be missing
                                  some great scenery between Donahue Pass and Reds in
                                  the Ansel Adams Wilderness but there will be plenty
                                  ahead of you!! Have a good trip. I hope to see you
                                  on the trail.

                                  Thomas
                                  --- Paul <eaglepdub@...> wrote:

                                  > --- In johnmuirt

                                  rail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin
                                  > <roleigh@...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >Damn I just typed out all the information that you
                                  > needed and then
                                  > it all got deleted. I did this trail last year and
                                  > have all your
                                  > answers. Just give me a call 208-484-2718 Paul
                                  > Walker in Idaho.
                                  >

                                  > > We're planning a 3 person partial - JMT hike for
                                  > late July 2008
                                  > starting at Red Meadows on the JMT and going all the
                                  > way down to
                                  > Whitney Portal. Where does one apply for the permit
                                  > and where does
                                  > one physically show up to get the permit, or is it
                                  > available by
                                  > mail? If it has to be in person some distance away
                                  > (like Toulumne
                                  > Meadows), can it be gotten the afternoon the day
                                  > before?
                                  > >
                                  > > Where do people advise parking the car for such a
                                  > hike (at Whitney
                                  > Portal or near Red Meadows)?
                                  > >
                                  > > PS -- how difficult is it to purchase a ride from
                                  > the other end of
                                  > where one parks to where one needs to get (after or
                                  > before the trail
                                  > depending on the answer to the above question)? I
                                  > believe there is
                                  > a bus from Bishop to Mammoth Lake but how does one
                                  > get from Lone
                                  > Pine to Bishop?
                                  > >
                                  > > PPS - how does one get to the Trailhead from
                                  > Mammoth Lake to Red
                                  > Meadows?
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks!
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks!

                                  > removed]

                                  Best regards,

                                  Thomas

                                  Thomas Taylor
                                  tgtaylor7@...
                                  http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
                                • Patronio@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
                                    The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness Permit in Tuolumne Meadows
                                    Ranger Station.

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
                                      There is a shuttle that takes you from Mammoth Lakes, right to Reds Meadows
                                      ranger station and the Mulehouse cafe if you like. It is very easy and fun, for
                                      a side trip if you wish to go down to town.

                                    • thomas taylor
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Dec 2, 2007
                                        One probably could get a permit at Tuolumne Meadows
                                        also, but the Inyo website states the following:

                                        Where can I pick up my wilderness permit? We recommend
                                        you pick up your reserved permit at the location
                                        closest to your entry trailhead. Inyo National Forest
                                        wilderness permits are issued at the following
                                        locations:

                                        Eastern Sierra InterAgency Visitor Center
                                        Junction of Highway 395 and State Route 136
                                        2 miles south of Lone Pine, CA
                                        (760)876-6200 or TDD(760)876-6201

                                        White Mountain Ranger Station
                                        798 N. Main Street
                                        Bishop, CA 93514
                                        (760)873-2500 or TDD (760) 873-2501

                                        Mammoth Lakes Visitor Center
                                        2500 Main Street
                                        Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546
                                        (760) 924-5500 or TDD (760) 924-5531

                                        Mono Basin Scenic Area Visitor Center
                                        P.O. Box 429 (North of Lee Vining on Hwy 395)
                                        Lee Vining, CA 93541
                                        (760) 647-3044 or TDD (760) 647-3045

                                        updated Nov.2006

                                        I thought you could pick it up in Mammoth Lakes but I
                                        always went to either Momo Lake or Bishop.

                                        Thomas

                                        --- Patronio@... wrote:

                                        > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness
                                        > Permit in Tuolumne Meadows
                                        > Ranger Station.

                                        > removed]

                                        Best regards,

                                        Thomas

                                        Thomas Taylor
                                        tgtaylor7@...
                                        http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
                                      • Frank Martin
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patronio@... wrote:

                                          > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness Permit in
                                          Tuolumne Meadows
                                          > Ranger Station.

                                          If you are starting at Red's you CAN'T p/u a Permit at TM. TM is only
                                          for hikes that originate in Yosemite. If you are coming from the Bay
                                          Area the easiest place to get the Permit is Mono Lake. If coming from
                                          the South either Lone Pine or Bishop. Note the new permit Station is
                                          now South of Lone Pine.

                                          One thing about Inyo is that if you do not have a Reservation you can
                                          obtain a Permit starting at Noon TWO days in advance instead of one.

                                          Also in the National Forrest Areas if you call ahead they will leave
                                          the Permits outside for you to pick up after hours either pinned to a
                                          board or a dropbox.

                                          frank
                                        • thomas taylor
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                                            Frank,

                                            I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
                                            permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
                                            exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
                                            enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
                                            had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
                                            them outside any longer.

                                            Thomas

                                            --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

                                            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patronio@...
                                            > wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > The Permit has to be checked out at the Wilderness
                                            > Permit in
                                            > Tuolumne Meadows
                                            > > Ranger Station.
                                            > >

                                            > If you are starting at Red's you CAN'T p/u a Permit
                                            > at TM. TM is only
                                            > for hikes that originate in Yosemite. If you are
                                            > coming from the Bay
                                            > Area the easiest place to get the Permit is Mono
                                            > Lake. If coming from
                                            > the South either Lone Pine or Bishop. Note the new
                                            > permit Station is
                                            > now South of Lone Pine.
                                            >
                                            > One thing about Inyo is that if you do not have a
                                            > Reservation you can
                                            > obtain a Permit starting at Noon TWO days in advance
                                            > instead of one.
                                            >
                                            > Also in the National Forrest Areas if you call ahead
                                            > they will leave
                                            > the Permits outside for you to pick up after hours
                                            > either pinned to a
                                            > board or a dropbox.
                                            >
                                            > frank

                                          • Frank Martin
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                                              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:

                                              > Frank,
                                              >
                                              > I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
                                              > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
                                              > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
                                              > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
                                              > had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
                                              > them outside any longer.
                                              >
                                              > Thomas

                                              That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I picked them up
                                              afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in Lone Pine for George
                                              Creek. That was in May/June.

                                              thanks,

                                              frank
                                            • thomas taylor
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Dec 3, 2007
                                                I think they said that this was a new rule for the
                                                national parks or whitney only. They will put the
                                                permit in the overnight box for trips that do not
                                                enter a NP. I called in to reserve for another hike
                                                and they put it on the overnight box at Mono Lake
                                                Visitors Center.

                                                Thomas
                                                --- Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

                                                > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor
                                                > <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > Frank,
                                                > >
                                                > > I think you are right about not being able to
                                                > obtain a
                                                > > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds
                                                > and
                                                > > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved
                                                > > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said
                                                > > had to pick it up in person - that they don't
                                                > leave
                                                > > them outside any longer.
                                                > >
                                                > > Thomas
                                                >
                                                > That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I
                                                > picked them up
                                                > afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in
                                                > Lone Pine for George
                                                > Creek. That was in May/June.
                                                >
                                                > thanks,
                                                >
                                                > frank

                                                Best regards,

                                                Thomas

                                                Thomas Taylor
                                                tgtaylor7@...
                                                http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
                                              • clairehiker
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jan 25, 2008
                                                  You have to reserve and pick up your permit from whatever agency the
                                                  trailhead starts in, and it is good for the whole trip, even if you
                                                  cross other national parks or forests. For Reds Meadow, it is Inyo
                                                  National Forest
                                                  http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/howto.shtml

                                                  Claire

                                                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Martin" <sriprank@...>
                                                  wrote:

                                                  > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@>
                                                  wrote:

                                                  > > Frank,
                                                  > >
                                                  > > I think you are right about not being able to obtain a
                                                  > > permit at Tuolumne for entering the trail on Reds and
                                                  > > exiting Whitney. But earlier this year I reserved to
                                                  > > enter over Kearsarge exiting Whitney and they said I
                                                  > > had to pick it up in person - that they don't leave
                                                  > > them outside any longer.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Thomas
                                                  >
                                                  > That must be a new wrinkle. Earlier in 2007 I picked them up
                                                  > afterhours at Bridgeport for Green Lake TH and in Lone Pine for
                                                  George
                                                  > Creek. That was in May/June.
                                                  >
                                                  > thanks,
                                                  >
                                                  > frank

                                                • Kevin Aston
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Jan 25, 2008
                                                    When you call for a permit, just tell them that you are going in at
                                                    Reds. We did it last year and had no problem. You can pick it up at
                                                    the same place you would pick up any of the backcountry permits.
                                                    GoodLuck
                                                    Kevin Aston

                                                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "clairehiker" <clairehiker@...>