Re: [John Muir Trail] White Buckets for resupply

  • Bob Bankhead
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 10, 2007
      The only place along the JMT that requires the plastic 5 gallon buckets is Muir Trail Ranch, because their storage area is not mouse-proof. Any other place will accept whatever packaging you elect to use.

      That said, the buckets are available at the large home and builders' supply stores such as Home Depot and Lowe's. They're all over the place so finding one won't be a problem. Alternatively, someone from the Group who lives in the Bay Area could get one for you.

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 11, 2007
        Go to a paint store and get an empty 5 gallon bucket.

        On Nov 10, 2007, at 12:28 PM, RAChurcher wrote:

        > Hi, I am planning a JMT trip next summer, flying in to San Francisco
        > from UK. Can anyone tell me where to buy the white pails/buckets that
        > are required for resupply use??
        >
        > Thanks
        > Bob

      • Frank Martin
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 11, 2007
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "RAChurcher" <rachurcher@...> wrote:

          > Hi, I am planning a JMT trip next summer, flying in to San Francisco
          > from UK. Can anyone tell me where to buy the white pails/buckets that
          > are required for resupply use??
          >
          > Thanks
          > Bob

          Hi,

          I have just done multiple resupplies for a very long PCT Section. The
          most cost efficient method is to use the 'flat rate' Express Mail
          boxes that are available free at the Post Office. They come in various
          sizes. You can cram as much as you want into the boxes and it is one
          rate. It is cheaper than using your own box.

          On the PCT they use the plastic buckets as a 'bounce box'. It is not
          a resupply per se but a way to forward things that they may or may not
          need at a certain point in the hike. This can get expensive now as
          the Post Office has changed the way they bill the packages this year.

          The activity on the group will pick up in the spring. keep in touch.

          Good luck,

          frank