White Buckets for resupply

  • RAChurcher
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 10, 2007
      Hi, I am planning a JMT trip next summer, flying in to San Francisco
      from UK. Can anyone tell me where to buy the white pails/buckets that
      are required for resupply use??

      Thanks
      Bob
    • Bob Bankhead
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 10, 2007
        The only place along the JMT that requires the plastic 5 gallon buckets is Muir Trail Ranch, because their storage area is not mouse-proof. Any other place will accept whatever packaging you elect to use.

        That said, the buckets are available at the large home and builders' supply stores such as Home Depot and Lowe's. They're all over the place so finding one won't be a problem. Alternatively, someone from the Group who lives in the Bay Area could get one for you.

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 11, 2007
          Go to a paint store and get an empty 5 gallon bucket.

          On Nov 10, 2007, at 12:28 PM, RAChurcher wrote:

          > Hi, I am planning a JMT trip next summer, flying in to San Francisco
          > from UK. Can anyone tell me where to buy the white pails/buckets that
          > are required for resupply use??
          >
          > Thanks
          > Bob

        • Frank Martin
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 11, 2007
            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "RAChurcher" <rachurcher@...> wrote:

            > Hi, I am planning a JMT trip next summer, flying in to San Francisco
            > from UK. Can anyone tell me where to buy the white pails/buckets that
            > are required for resupply use??
            >
            > Thanks
            > Bob

            Hi,

            I have just done multiple resupplies for a very long PCT Section. The
            most cost efficient method is to use the 'flat rate' Express Mail
            boxes that are available free at the Post Office. They come in various
            sizes. You can cram as much as you want into the boxes and it is one
            rate. It is cheaper than using your own box.

            On the PCT they use the plastic buckets as a 'bounce box'. It is not
            a resupply per se but a way to forward things that they may or may not
            need at a certain point in the hike. This can get expensive now as
            the Post Office has changed the way they bill the packages this year.

            The activity on the group will pick up in the spring. keep in touch.

            Good luck,

            frank