Re: Utra-lite camping gear

  • BillHilton
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2007
      Join the lightweight backpacking group on Yahoo.

      Lots of ideas if you search back.

      Also go to http://www.BackpackGearTest.org

      I also read the long trail journals and look at their gear lists.
      http://trailjournals.com/

      I'm 66 and just finished 10 days in the Yosemite North Country. 10
      days of food in bear proof container, water, and all gear was 29
      pounds. Could never have done it the old fashion way.

      Bill

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Aston" <kevin@...> wrote:

      > I have made two attempts to hike the trail, but had to exit in 2006
      > with my hiking buddy having hurt his back, and in 2007 with me having
      > hurt my back. I plan on finishing the stretch from over Piute pass to
      > the portal in 2008. Each of us when we hurt our backs we were 52 years
      > old. None of us will be 52 in 2008, so we can get it done. I have had
      > two back surgeries, including L4-L5, and L5-S1 in 1997, L2-L3, and a
      > neck fusion joining C5-6-7 in 2005. In in some ways it is amazing that
      > I can do this at all. I am hoping to go ultra-lite in 2008 so anyone
      > that has any good suggestions about, clothing, cameras, stoves, tents
      > and types of light weight food, or other stuff, please email me at
      > kevin@... or give them on the JMT discussion group, and I
      > will post your suggestions on my site at www.kevinaston.com. I looked
      > at what everyone was packing on the trail and had to laugh at some and
      > were jealous of others. If you can include enough info that I can find
      > your suggested thing on the web, I will put a link so everyone can read
      > the specs of the stuff. I am also updating my pictures from the last
      > trip if you wish to see them on www.kevinaston.com. They are not quite
      > done yet.
      > Thanks
      > Kevin Aston

    • thomas taylor
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2007
        --- BillHilton <billhilton@...> wrote:

        > Could never have done it the old fashion
        > way.
        >
        > Bill

        Bill,

        The old fashion way was by mule. Instead of you
        carrying that 29 pounds, the mule carried it! Not a
        bad idea when you think about it.
      • Frank Martin
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6, 2007
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Aston" <kevin@...> wrote:
          I plan on finishing the stretch from over Piute pass to
          > the portal in 2008. Each of us when we hurt our backs we were 52 years
          > old. None of us will be 52 in 2008, so we can get it done. I have had
          > two back surgeries, including L4-L5, and L5-S1 in 1997, L2-L3, and a
          > neck fusion joining C5-6-7 in 2005. In in some ways it is amazing that
          > I can do this at all. I am hoping to go ultra-lite in 2008 so anyone
          > that has any good suggestions about, clothing, cameras, stoves, tents
          > and types of light weight food, or other stuff, please email me at
          > kevin@... or give them on the JMT discussion group, and I
          > will post your suggestions on my site at www.kevinaston.com.
          > done yet.
          > Thanks

          > Kevin Aston

          Hi Kevin,

          Here are some resources that I use. Start with the 'big three'.Tent,
          sleeping bag and pack'. Don't choose a pack till you have your gear
          assembled I currently use a Gatewood Cape as my poncho, (raingear),
          packcover and shelter. It rarely rains at night in the Sierra but if
          it does this will suffice.People seem to favor the new packs from ULA
          Equiptment.

          frank

          Ultralight Backpacking

          Homepage for backpacking Light Group. Very active information Group.
          It is best to access info from the Home/Group Page rather than
          individual e-mails. With almost 6000 members it generates a lot of
          messages

          Backpacking.net
          Homepage
          http://www.backpacking.net/index.html?noframes
          This is the light gear forums page.
          There is a gear swap page here where people buy/sell used gear.
          http://www.backpacking.net/bbs.html

          Backpacking Light
          This is a fee based group for Ultralight Backpacking.
          But you can join the forums for free and they also have a gear swap
          group and a gear deal group.
          http://tinyurl.com/ejngj

          Homepage for JMT Group on Yahoo Groups.
          Pretty dead during the Winter months but good info source once that it
          gets going. Alos good place to find someone to hike the Trail with.

          http://www.thebackpacker.com/trips/
          Trail Talk Trip Page from Backpacker.com