Yosemite Valley Recommendation

  • johnsoncanedy
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 2011
      Group, we are arriving in mid August and want to acclimate for a few days in Yosemite Valley before we head in to the JMT at Red's Meadow. My wife would prefer not to camp. Where do people enjoy staying in the Valley that is not too crazy busy with humanity?
      Ted
    • Barbara Karagosian
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2011
        Anywhere you can get!  It's likely to be booked. Go to the park website and under accommodations, put in your dates and it'll tell you if and where there are vacancies. Or call.  Alternatively google the city "El Portal" which is right outside the park entrance on the road from Mariposa.  There's a few places to stay there that are more likely to have vacancies. I'll send websites in separate email..

        Barbara
        Typos by iPad

        On Jul 2, 2011, at 4:34 AM, "johnsoncanedy" <johnsoncanedy@...> wrote:

        Group, we are arriving in mid August and want to acclimate for a few days in Yosemite Valley before we head in to the JMT at Red's Meadow. My wife would prefer not to camp. Where do people enjoy staying in the Valley that is not too crazy busy with humanity?
        Ted

      • birthnlove
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 2011
          Not much is available in the Valley if you haven't booked it by now, camping or otherwise. My suggestion would be to stay somewhere just outside the park to the south, like Oakhurst or Mariposa, visit the Valley for the day, and then head east on 120 to 395 to Lee Vining. If you are planning on starting at Red's Meadow, you will want to be on the east side of the park, anyway. There are some hotels in Lee Vining, June Lake and plenty in Mammoth. I also just thought of the hotel at Wawona but I haven't checked to see their availability.

          Marlena
          SoBo starting July 14th, TM to Devil's Postpile
          http://twonuttymoms.wordpress.com/

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "johnsoncanedy" <johnsoncanedy@...> wrote:

          > Group, we are arriving in mid August and want to acclimate for a few days in Yosemite Valley before we head in to the JMT at Red's Meadow. My wife would prefer not to camp. Where do people enjoy staying in the Valley that is not too crazy busy with humanity?
          > Ted

        • Ewa Bialkowski
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 2011
            I just wanted to make one comment that if you are in the Valley, there is really no way to avoid crowds. The Valley gets as busy as a mall before Christmas. During the summer the only times I find it peaceful are just after the sunrise.

            Ewa

             Where do people enjoy staying in the Valley that is not too crazy busy with humanity?
            > Ted

          • Herb
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 2011
              About 15-20 minutes from the valley is the small community of Yosemite West. No hotels, but there are cabins and condos for rent. Nice, quiet area although there are no services. You come in from Oakhurst. The Yosemite West turnoff is inside the park and about a mile before the Glacier Point Road. Yosemite Four Seasons handles a rental for us and are nice folk: http://www.yosemitelodging.com/allrates.html , but there are other rental companies up there as well.

              Accommodations anywhere near the valley are not cheap. Try to nail down something asap, as there is little left anywhere near Yosemite.

              Herb

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "johnsoncanedy" <johnsoncanedy@...> wrote:

              > Group, we are arriving in mid August and want to acclimate for a few days in Yosemite Valley before we head in to the JMT at Red's Meadow. My wife would prefer not to camp. Where do people enjoy staying in the Valley that is not too crazy busy with humanity?
              > Ted

            • robert shattuck
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 2, 2011

                "Where do people enjoy staying in the Valley that is not too crazy busy with humanity?"

                Ted,

                There is no place in the valley that is not "crazy busy" with humanity . . . I would actually suggest the backpackers camp, as it is a little island, where there are no cars, motor-homes and only the faint buzz of an occasional ghetto blaster––but it appears your wife doesn't want, to camp.

                "to acclimate for a few days in Yosemite Valley before we head in to the JMT at Red's Meadow"

                I also don't get what you plan to do; are you only going to swim with humanity in the valley and then drive up to Red's to start your JMT, or are you hiking just from the valley to Red's?

                If your plan is to acclimate and start from Red's you wouldn't be too far off the mark, by just going there. Rent a cabin at Red's and you'll only have to deal with a few busloads of Yosemite Valley types . . . you could even just stay in Mammoth, which is pretty dead in August and offers altitude with daily fresh pillows and so on . . . Mammoth in August is pretty dead peaceful.

                . . . Lock yourself in a $$$ room at the Awahnee?

                BOB

              • johnsoncanedy
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 2, 2011
                  The idea was to check out the Valley and all it's cool geology as I have never been there before. The head to Red's and spend 4 days or so hiking to Toulemne Meadows. Thank you for all the suggestions. I'll talk with the "boss."
                  Ted
                • johnsoncanedy
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 2, 2011
                    We found a room at the Wawona. You were right the Valley is all filled up. Thank you,
                    Ted