Re: bandito's in the hills . . .

  • hmdsierra
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1 10:38 PM
      On this weekend in '80 myself my then 8 year old son, and a friend went to Whitney. From a bit above Trail Camp to Trail Crest was solid snow. We camped on the ridge between Guitar and Hitchcock Lakes and that night my son complained that his eyes hurt. I realized that his eyes had unburnt. The next day I used the gauzy lining of his bathing suit for snow goggles until we got back to trail Camp in three days later and he recovered. I had a scaly sunburn but I think you could have peeked his face off in one piece like a mask. I've never seen such a bad sunburn. After that we were much more careful. .

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "cjoslyn99" <cjoslyn99@...> wrote:

      > I read a PCT journal saying how some dude sunburned his tongue and roof
      > of his mouth last week I think b/c of hiking w/ mouth open. That and
      > seeing the burned legs in the video you posted made me throw anohter
      > tube of SPF 85+ in my bucket.
      >
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, robert shattuck <bobolonius@>
      > wrote:
      > >

      > ....all the JMTer's headed out in the next few weeks, into the snowy
      > fields. remember to use sunscreen . . . and then for those of you that
      > are counting the ounces, the point-ounces and so on, think about just
      > having a bandana to wrap around your face.

    • Stuart Dodson
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 2 12:52 AM
        Hey Bob,

        Learnt a few years ago to put sunscreen up the nostrils ,the sun reflects upwards to the nose .Take a look at NozCon or similar to attach to the glasses to cover the nose. With  my NozCon and bandana should look like Groucho. Saves on plastic and goo, the goo attracts attracts dirt and makes for harder laundry and can attract Bruin.

        English Stu