Re: [John Muir Trail] Who is the current record holder on the JMT (New)

  • Frank Martin
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 25, 2007

      > I think someone officially broke the unsupported record last month. I
      > was hiking with the person who holds the supported record (93 hours)
      > and he told me the unsupported record was broken by an entire day. I
      > haven't researched it yet. I'll try and check it out.
      >
      > You can find Reinhold posting on the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail) user
      list.

      > frank

      I just checked it out. Here is the new record.

      http://tinyurl.com/2zkble

      Quoted Material

      "Hi gang,
      Just to let you know that a new unsupported JMT record has been set by
      ultra
      marathon endurance runner Michael Popov.
      Michael finished in an amazing 4 days 5 hrs and 25 minutes.
      Aaron Sorensen abandoned his attempt at Vermilion (mile 120) due to foot
      problems.
      Jon Chiappa also abandoned his attempt at Vermilion two weeks ago.

      Still to come is the attempt by hall of fame super endurance athlete John
      Stamstad and
      Iron Man Justin Angle...all of a sudden all the big boys are gunning
      for the
      unsupported JMT.

      Michael is a 29 year old Russian immigrant who has lived in the good
      old USA
      for 9 years and has been a marathon runner for most of his life.
      Michael has placed 4th in the San Diego 100 ultra-marathon in 2005 & 2006.
      Aaron, a Coast Guard petty officer, was awakened one evening, south of
      Mather Pass, by a
      bear sniffing his pack he was using as a pillow (Pheeww, that was a close
      one)."
    • vt_vhtrc
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 8, 2007
        A bit late to be answering this question, but I just found this Yahoo!
        group while surfing around.

        My name is Sue Johnston, and I believe I have the current supported
        record on the JMT (3 days 20 hours from Whitney Portal to Yosemite... 3
        days 15 hours 32 minutes from the summit of Whitney). I hiked the trail
        from 8/24 - 8/28 this year.

        If you're interested, I have a report, gear list, etc. on my site:
        www.runsuerun.blogspot.com

        It was great fun!

        Michael Popov has the unsupported record to the best of my knowledge.

        Sue Johnston
        Oxnard, CA