[John Muir Trail] Re: bandito's in the hills . . .

  • brink_nathan
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1 2:30 PM
      Bandannas are good.

      If you don't mind getting a few funny looks (especially in areas with a lot of people) a Keffyeh/Shemagh is great for hiking. When it's hot and sunny, there's ways to tie them so just your eyes show (keeps your head surprisingly cool), or they can work as a scarf, sling, camp towel or any number of uses.
    • robert shattuck
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1 2:37 PM
        I like it!

        http://www.amazon.com/Desert-Military-Tactial-Keffiyeh-Shemagh/dp/B003BR08BU

        Lawrence of Arabia and PLO and . . .

        forkfestreview.blogspot.com
        sparklefart.blogspot.com

        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
        From: brink_nathan@...
        Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 21:30:02 +0000
        Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: bandito's in the hills . . .

      • birdnlady@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1 2:48 PM
          Another area particularly vulnerable and also very painful when sunburn is the inside bottom of your nostrils. Hiking on snow reflects the light back to this area. Can't tell you how many cross country ski trips I've been on and forgotten about this. And it REALLY smarts! Ouch.

          From: robert shattuck <bobolonius@...>
          Sender: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 20:54:24 +0000
          To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: RE: [John Muir Trail] Re: bandito's in the hills . . .

          "made me throw another tube of SPF 85+ in my bucket."

          Yeah, again, in a normal year I don't get burned but just "browned" and then sadly most of that washes off when I get to Lone Pine  . . . tan goes down the drain.

          And again, for those of you planning on bringing more sunscreen than you'll ever need, there's always lots of it in the hiker barrels––we could all probably head out there and just (somehow) squeeze out enough to get us through a few days and we'd still not use it all up . . . the VVR and MTR have enough plastic trash to deal with.

          BOB

          To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
          From: cjoslyn99@...
          Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 20:38:20 +0000

          I read a PCT journal saying how some dude sunburned his tongue and roof
          of his mouth last week I think b/c of hiking w/ mouth open. That and
          seeing the burned legs in the video you posted made me throw anohter
          tube of SPF 85+ in my bucket.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, robert shattuck <bobolonius@...>
          wrote:

          ....all the JMTer's headed out in the next few weeks, into the snowy
          fields. remember to use sunscreen . . . and then for those of you that
          are counting the ounces, the point-ounces and so on, think about just
          having a bandana to wrap around your face.

        • robert shattuck
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1 3:04 PM
            "inside bottom of your nostrils"

            Yes, this is a particularly enjoyable experience that I am going through . . . and for lack of nothing better to do, while sorting gear and cleaning the kitchen, I tried on the bandana over the nose . . . I wear glasses, so it's just steamy lenses for me.

            BOB

            To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
            From: birdnlady@...
            Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 21:48:13 +0000

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 1 5:23 PM

              It's not often we share a common experience Bob but this is one of those occasions.   I'm still recovering, slowwwwwwly from my weekend jaunt to Kearsarge Pass.  I used sunscreen on my face and arms but forgot to do the ears and lips.  The next morning revealed the ugly results, blisters on the ears and a lower lip that was painfully swollen. The ear blisters broke, the dead skin mostly peeled off but the lip is still a mess of cold sores.  On top of that I've felt fatigued for most of the week.  I used to say the sun never bothered me--can't say that anymore. All bets are off if your in snow.  Protect yourself out there be it sunscreen, bandana, sun hat or Keffiyeh-Shemagh.

              Don

              To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
              From: bobolonius@...
              Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 20:26:20 +0000
              Subject: [John Muir Trail] bandito's in the hills . . .

              I don't mind a little sunburn "on a monday" . . . something to talk about when someone says, what did you do this weekend, but, A LOT, of sunburn––that's no fun.......

            • hmdsierra
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 1 10:38 PM
                On this weekend in '80 myself my then 8 year old son, and a friend went to Whitney. From a bit above Trail Camp to Trail Crest was solid snow. We camped on the ridge between Guitar and Hitchcock Lakes and that night my son complained that his eyes hurt. I realized that his eyes had unburnt. The next day I used the gauzy lining of his bathing suit for snow goggles until we got back to trail Camp in three days later and he recovered. I had a scaly sunburn but I think you could have peeked his face off in one piece like a mask. I've never seen such a bad sunburn. After that we were much more careful. .

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "cjoslyn99" <cjoslyn99@...> wrote:

                > I read a PCT journal saying how some dude sunburned his tongue and roof
                > of his mouth last week I think b/c of hiking w/ mouth open. That and
                > seeing the burned legs in the video you posted made me throw anohter
                > tube of SPF 85+ in my bucket.
                >
                > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, robert shattuck <bobolonius@>
                > wrote:
                > >

                > ....all the JMTer's headed out in the next few weeks, into the snowy
                > fields. remember to use sunscreen . . . and then for those of you that
                > are counting the ounces, the point-ounces and so on, think about just
                > having a bandana to wrap around your face.

              • Stuart Dodson
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 2 12:52 AM
                  Hey Bob,

                  Learnt a few years ago to put sunscreen up the nostrils ,the sun reflects upwards to the nose .Take a look at NozCon or similar to attach to the glasses to cover the nose. With  my NozCon and bandana should look like Groucho. Saves on plastic and goo, the goo attracts attracts dirt and makes for harder laundry and can attract Bruin.

                  English Stu