Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: parking question--Whitney Portal

  • Ed Rodriguez
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2011
      Yes left my car last year and had no problem. It was nice to have your car waiting there for you

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2011
        Agreed! We left our car parked at Whitney Portal for 8 days with no trouble.

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Jul 1, 2011, at 2:55 AM, Ed Rodriguez <ed_rodriguez52@...> wrote:

        Yes left my car last year and had no problem. It was nice to have your car waiting there for you

        If the bears leave it alone it should be just fine

        JD
        www.johndittli.com

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Deep Desert Expeditions <mike@...> wrote:

        > I'm hoping the snow thaws enough to allow passage on a mixed JMT/Sierra High Route journey in August.
        > My plan is to leave my old junker at the Whitney Portal for the three or so weeks I'm planning on being out there. (a friend will be driving me around to Happy Isle from there)
        > Does anyone know about parking at the Portal?Can I (safely) park there for the better part of a month?If not, where?
        >
        > Keep it Wild,   Mike Coronella

      • Herb
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2011
          In 2009 we left a car there two weeks, no problem.

          However, you must be sure to remove ALL food and scented items from the vehicle. Nothing that looks like food or an ice chest can be visible. Even drink containers, lip balm, coffee cups, trash, etc., must be removed or you may get a ticket AND a broken window...

          Herb

        • el12@ymail.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2011
            You can park in the Yosemite valley at the backpacker parking
            the ranger station do issue a kind of "permit" that you put on your windshield,
            Highly recommended as you will get peace of mind and not be afraid to have your car towed away.
            On my last trip I left my car there for 2 weeks and my car was so dusty it looked like an abandoned vehicle.