Re: [John Muir Trail] Who is the current record holder on the JMT

  • Fred Sharples
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 23, 2007
      Here's some information about him. His name is Reinhold Metzger and he has
      the record of either 5 day, 7 hour, 45 minutes or 5 days 10 hours depending
      who you ask.

      http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/outdoors/20030929-9999_mz1s29outdor.html

      Also, here is an article about how someone's attempt to break the record.
      http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/john_muir_trail_unsupported_record_attempt_results.html

      From what I can gather from the posts, a few people on this list may have
      broken this record unofficially.

      Hope that helps.
      Fred

      On 8/23/07, Patronio@... <Patronio@...> wrote:

      > Someone told me that it was a fellow named Reinhold. Does anyone has any
      >
      > info. about this hiker? Thanx

      Orange Design Inc.
      Games - Tech - Art
      2601 Mission Street #800
      San Francisco, CA 94110
      415.643.4465 - Studio
      415.722.6442 - Mobile

      http://orangedesign.com

    • Frank Martin
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 25, 2007
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Sharples" <fred@...> wrote:

        > Here's some information about him. His name is Reinhold Metzger and
        he has
        > the record of either 5 day, 7 hour, 45 minutes or 5 days 10 hours
        depending
        > who you ask.

        I think someone officially broke the unsupported record last month. I
        was hiking with the person who holds the supported record (93 hours)
        and he told me the unsupported record was broken by an entire day. I
        haven't researched it yet. I'll try and check it out.

        You can find Reinhold posting on the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail) user list.

        frank
      • Frank Martin
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 25, 2007

          > I think someone officially broke the unsupported record last month. I
          > was hiking with the person who holds the supported record (93 hours)
          > and he told me the unsupported record was broken by an entire day. I
          > haven't researched it yet. I'll try and check it out.
          >
          > You can find Reinhold posting on the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail) user
          list.

          > frank

          I just checked it out. Here is the new record.

          http://tinyurl.com/2zkble

          Quoted Material

          "Hi gang,
          Just to let you know that a new unsupported JMT record has been set by
          ultra
          marathon endurance runner Michael Popov.
          Michael finished in an amazing 4 days 5 hrs and 25 minutes.
          Aaron Sorensen abandoned his attempt at Vermilion (mile 120) due to foot
          problems.
          Jon Chiappa also abandoned his attempt at Vermilion two weeks ago.

          Still to come is the attempt by hall of fame super endurance athlete John
          Stamstad and
          Iron Man Justin Angle...all of a sudden all the big boys are gunning
          for the
          unsupported JMT.

          Michael is a 29 year old Russian immigrant who has lived in the good
          old USA
          for 9 years and has been a marathon runner for most of his life.
          Michael has placed 4th in the San Diego 100 ultra-marathon in 2005 & 2006.
          Aaron, a Coast Guard petty officer, was awakened one evening, south of
          Mather Pass, by a
          bear sniffing his pack he was using as a pillow (Pheeww, that was a close
          one)."
        • vt_vhtrc
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 8, 2007
            A bit late to be answering this question, but I just found this Yahoo!
            group while surfing around.

            My name is Sue Johnston, and I believe I have the current supported
            record on the JMT (3 days 20 hours from Whitney Portal to Yosemite... 3
            days 15 hours 32 minutes from the summit of Whitney). I hiked the trail
            from 8/24 - 8/28 this year.

            If you're interested, I have a report, gear list, etc. on my site:
            www.runsuerun.blogspot.com

            It was great fun!

            Michael Popov has the unsupported record to the best of my knowledge.

            Sue Johnston
            Oxnard, CA