Food selection — good news

  • sanfran_rwood
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30 3:55 PM
      I suspect pretty much everyone that even considered the JMT is already on the fit end of the the health spectrum, but that doesn't mean we're all completely satisfied with our condition.

      Personally, I'm quite a bit leaner than most of my friends and relatives of my approximate generation, but I'm still carrying ten or fifteen pounds of weight that stubbornly sticks around.

      Since I know I tend to harden up and lose fat when I'm on longer backpacking trips, one of my hopes is that the JMT will push me further in that direction than my usual fifty-milers.

      A fairly recent article in the New York Times makes good reading, then. The "Well" blog (i.e., "wellness") discussed emerging evidence that, when combined with exercise, a high-fat diet permitted faster weight loss than a low-fat, high-carb diet.

      See "Eating Fat, Staying Lean" at http://nyti.ms/jH1GU9 (original URL:
      http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/01/eating-fat-staying-lean).

      Maybe just taking a bear canister full of peanut butter isn't such a bad idea after all?
      --
      Richarrd