Hikers swept off bridge in Yosemite; 1 dead

  • Naked Mittens
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2011
      FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- One person has died and another is still missing after a hiking trip in Yosemite National Park.

      Park officials say around 8:30 Wednesday morning, a group of five people began hiking near Hetch Hetchy.

      Two men tried to cross a bridge, but water was flowing over the crossing because of all the heavy rain and melting snow. The men were swept into the Tuolumne River.

      Search teams recovered one body. They're still searching for the other person. The identities of the two men have not yet been released.

      (Copyright ©2011 KFSN-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
    • John
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 30, 2011
        The accident happened at Wapama Falls (not on JMT). At peak runoff is Wapama Falls bridge is one of the most "powerful" experiences I've ever felt in the mountains; dangerous power.

        The photo is from last year at peak; I didn't have a waterproof camera so this was the last shot I got.

        It got much worse, deafening noise, thundering water, a white out of mist and a foot of water pulsating over the bridge.

        From what I can tell, the water came up from the rains while the group was out there, most unfortunate tragedy.

        JD
        Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
        www.johndittli.com

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Naked Mittens" <nakedmittens@...> wrote:

        > FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- One person has died and another is still missing after a hiking trip in Yosemite National Park.
        >
        > Park officials say around 8:30 Wednesday morning, a group of five people began hiking near Hetch Hetchy.
        >
        > Two men tried to cross a bridge, but water was flowing over the crossing because of all the heavy rain and melting snow. The men were swept into the Tuolumne River.
        >
        > Search teams recovered one body. They're still searching for the other person. The identities of the two men have not yet been released.
        >
        > (Copyright ©2011 KFSN-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

      • Herb
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2, 2011

          It was a hot day, so hikers were doing the 5 bridge out-and-back run for a thrilling ice-cold drenching. While there was some water flowing on to the bridge, it was no where near enough to take your feet. But I can imagine with rain and additional run off how the crossing could quickly become dangerous.

          I posted a short video to youtube showing my wife and son coming off the bridges. Although its a very short shot, during the first few seconds you can see the power of the falls and water striking the first bridge. As I recall, there was another spot on the bridges near the middle that was also being hit directly by the falls. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za0_fAOTJFg

          Herb