Re: [John Muir Trail] crampons vs. lighter weight traction aids

  • Mark Schultz
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30, 2011
      If you're going with crampons, check out these Stubai ultralights @ 21 oz with decent toe points for $88. I climbed Shasta with these.

      http://www.everestgear.com/421100.html

      Based on recent PCT reports, I think Microspikes should work fine for the entire trail. I picked up a pair for my wife and I to shave a pound (total between us) vs the Stubai crampons.

      The Mammoth Rangers recommended snowshoes when I called to get an update today. I'm hoping they are just being overly cautious (as they typically are). We're going to try and minimize the postholing by starting at 5am or earlier, and quit when the snow gets too soft. They also said the Reds Meadow road is now open as of today.