Re: Post JMT report

  • mbeilfuss
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 17, 2007
      Hey,
      Just came from sunrise about a week or two ago. We were there the day
      they shut off the water. It's been too dry this year. I've heard there
      has been about 40% of the usual amount of rain. The small creek
      running through the backpackers area at sunrise was hardly
      flowing--less than a gallon a minute. The creek running through the
      meadow was bone dry. They were running out of water for their paying
      guests--they had to start trucking it in on mules--so they shut off
      the tap. I guess that's why they closed the campground.
      Water is a bit tricky on the JMT between Cathedral lake and halfdome.
      Only one or two small streams are running. Fill up your belly and your
      nalgenes when you can. Don;t know about off the trail. Maybe there are
      other sources...?