Re: Post JMT report

  • Jay Strine
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 17 10:04 AM
      I do not know why the camp is closed. They had yellow caution tape
      where the trail forks off to Sunrise. They had 2 Large orange signs
      stating the Camp is closed and showed the detour to Sunrise Lakes.
      Sunrise lakes is approx 2 miles off the JMT.
      Agian I am not sure why, we did not go further up to look, and we did
      not take the detour we continued on the JMT. We had stocked up with
      water from Cathedral Lakes, before we got to Sunrise.
      I know that from Cathedral Lakes to Sunrise it is dry, (no water to be
      found), and after Surise we only found the one small creek we filled up
      at. I can only guess (and this is just a guess) that closing the area
      has to do with how dry it is. I do know the pipe that normally
      supplies Sunrise with water was shut off. I was told this in Yosemite
      the day before we started our trip.
      If you find out, let me know, I am curious.
      Take Care
      Jay

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patronio@... wrote:

      > Why is Sunrise Camp closed???? Why are they diverting hikers?

    • mbeilfuss
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 17 10:33 AM
        Hey,
        Just came from sunrise about a week or two ago. We were there the day
        they shut off the water. It's been too dry this year. I've heard there
        has been about 40% of the usual amount of rain. The small creek
        running through the backpackers area at sunrise was hardly
        flowing--less than a gallon a minute. The creek running through the
        meadow was bone dry. They were running out of water for their paying
        guests--they had to start trucking it in on mules--so they shut off
        the tap. I guess that's why they closed the campground.
        Water is a bit tricky on the JMT between Cathedral lake and halfdome.
        Only one or two small streams are running. Fill up your belly and your
        nalgenes when you can. Don;t know about off the trail. Maybe there are
        other sources...?