Re: [John Muir Trail] Post JMT report

  • Jamie F. Dahl
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 16, 2007
      everything I've ever read in regards to trail
      etiquette has always been "yield to the uphill
      traveler (and horses)"

      --- Ray Baxter <ray.baxter@...> wrote:

      > Jay Strine wrote:
      >
      > > But after that
      > > we hiked down through the crowds of tourist, that
      > did not know to
      > > yeild to the people with 50lbs packs coming
      > downhill.
      >
      > I don't think that this is a tourist phenomenon. In
      > about 40 years of
      > hiking, I have always followed the opposite rule.
      >
      > When going downhill, I yield to uphill foot traffic,
      > and I expect hikers
      > to yield to me when I am going uphill. I never
      > considered that load had
      > anything to do with it.
      >

      > Ray

      Jamie Dahl

      "Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity; and that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life." --John Muir
    • Jay Strine
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 17, 2007
        I do not know why the camp is closed. They had yellow caution tape
        where the trail forks off to Sunrise. They had 2 Large orange signs
        stating the Camp is closed and showed the detour to Sunrise Lakes.
        Sunrise lakes is approx 2 miles off the JMT.
        Agian I am not sure why, we did not go further up to look, and we did
        not take the detour we continued on the JMT. We had stocked up with
        water from Cathedral Lakes, before we got to Sunrise.
        I know that from Cathedral Lakes to Sunrise it is dry, (no water to be
        found), and after Surise we only found the one small creek we filled up
        at. I can only guess (and this is just a guess) that closing the area
        has to do with how dry it is. I do know the pipe that normally
        supplies Sunrise with water was shut off. I was told this in Yosemite
        the day before we started our trip.
        If you find out, let me know, I am curious.
        Take Care
        Jay

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patronio@... wrote:

        > Why is Sunrise Camp closed???? Why are they diverting hikers?

      • mbeilfuss
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 17, 2007
          Hey,
          Just came from sunrise about a week or two ago. We were there the day
          they shut off the water. It's been too dry this year. I've heard there
          has been about 40% of the usual amount of rain. The small creek
          running through the backpackers area at sunrise was hardly
          flowing--less than a gallon a minute. The creek running through the
          meadow was bone dry. They were running out of water for their paying
          guests--they had to start trucking it in on mules--so they shut off
          the tap. I guess that's why they closed the campground.
          Water is a bit tricky on the JMT between Cathedral lake and halfdome.
          Only one or two small streams are running. Fill up your belly and your
          nalgenes when you can. Don;t know about off the trail. Maybe there are
          other sources...?