Re: [John Muir Trail] Post JMT report

  • Ray Baxter
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 16 12:28 PM
      Jay Strine wrote:

      > But after that
      > we hiked down through the crowds of tourist, that did not know to
      > yeild to the people with 50lbs packs coming downhill.

      I don't think that this is a tourist phenomenon. In about 40 years of
      hiking, I have always followed the opposite rule.

      When going downhill, I yield to uphill foot traffic, and I expect hikers
      to yield to me when I am going uphill. I never considered that load had
      anything to do with it.

      Ray
    • Jamie F. Dahl
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 16 1:06 PM
        everything I've ever read in regards to trail
        etiquette has always been "yield to the uphill
        traveler (and horses)"

        --- Ray Baxter <ray.baxter@...> wrote:

        > Jay Strine wrote:
        >
        > > But after that
        > > we hiked down through the crowds of tourist, that
        > did not know to
        > > yeild to the people with 50lbs packs coming
        > downhill.
        >
        > I don't think that this is a tourist phenomenon. In
        > about 40 years of
        > hiking, I have always followed the opposite rule.
        >
        > When going downhill, I yield to uphill foot traffic,
        > and I expect hikers
        > to yield to me when I am going uphill. I never
        > considered that load had
        > anything to do with it.
        >

        > Ray

        Jamie Dahl

        "Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity; and that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life." --John Muir
      • Jay Strine
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 17 10:04 AM
          I do not know why the camp is closed. They had yellow caution tape
          where the trail forks off to Sunrise. They had 2 Large orange signs
          stating the Camp is closed and showed the detour to Sunrise Lakes.
          Sunrise lakes is approx 2 miles off the JMT.
          Agian I am not sure why, we did not go further up to look, and we did
          not take the detour we continued on the JMT. We had stocked up with
          water from Cathedral Lakes, before we got to Sunrise.
          I know that from Cathedral Lakes to Sunrise it is dry, (no water to be
          found), and after Surise we only found the one small creek we filled up
          at. I can only guess (and this is just a guess) that closing the area
          has to do with how dry it is. I do know the pipe that normally
          supplies Sunrise with water was shut off. I was told this in Yosemite
          the day before we started our trip.
          If you find out, let me know, I am curious.
          Take Care
          Jay

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patronio@... wrote:

          > Why is Sunrise Camp closed???? Why are they diverting hikers?

        • mbeilfuss
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 17 10:33 AM
            Hey,
            Just came from sunrise about a week or two ago. We were there the day
            they shut off the water. It's been too dry this year. I've heard there
            has been about 40% of the usual amount of rain. The small creek
            running through the backpackers area at sunrise was hardly
            flowing--less than a gallon a minute. The creek running through the
            meadow was bone dry. They were running out of water for their paying
            guests--they had to start trucking it in on mules--so they shut off
            the tap. I guess that's why they closed the campground.
            Water is a bit tricky on the JMT between Cathedral lake and halfdome.
            Only one or two small streams are running. Fill up your belly and your
            nalgenes when you can. Don;t know about off the trail. Maybe there are
            other sources...?