Post JMT report

  • Jay Strine
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 15, 2007
      Hi, just finished a 5 day trek of the JMT. We started at Reds Meadow
      and ended at Happy Isles. I now can see that 5 days is pushing it
      and probally not enough. We had some long days of walking. We also
      did a side trip to Half Dome. We summited at 6am, there was probally
      less than 10 other people up there at the time. We had the cables
      all to ourselves on the way up, and on the way down. But after that
      we hiked down through the crowds of tourist, that did not know to
      yeild to the people with 50lbs packs coming downhill.

      Some things to point out if you are planning a trip up there. From
      Mammouth to Tuolumme there is water every where. Water is also
      plentiful in Tuolumme. After Tuolumme, it is pretty dry between
      Tuolumme and Cathedral Lakes. From Cathedral lakes to Sunrise is
      pretty dry. Sunrise camp is closed, they will not let you camp
      there, and the water supply pipe there is shut off. They will detour
      you to Sunrise lakes, you can get water and camp there. From Sunrise
      which is dry, there is some water areas of the trail from Sunrise
      Creek. These are small and I would not count on them being there
      much longer. Your next chance at water is not until after the Half
      Dome fork. I hope this helps anyone planning a trip anytime soon.
      Oh one more thing if you did not know, (I didn't) we found out the
      hard way, the Grill at Tuolumme Meadows closes at 5pm and so do the
      restrooms. We got there at 5:10pm. The store is open until 8pm.

      Take Care
      Be Safe
      Jay
    • Fred Sharples
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 15, 2007
        Great Post Jay

        Very helpful and informative. Sounds like you had a good trip.

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 16, 2007
          Why is Sunrise Camp closed???? Why are they diverting hikers?

        • Ray Baxter
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 16, 2007
            Jay Strine wrote:

            > But after that
            > we hiked down through the crowds of tourist, that did not know to
            > yeild to the people with 50lbs packs coming downhill.

            I don't think that this is a tourist phenomenon. In about 40 years of
            hiking, I have always followed the opposite rule.

            When going downhill, I yield to uphill foot traffic, and I expect hikers
            to yield to me when I am going uphill. I never considered that load had
            anything to do with it.

            Ray
          • Jamie F. Dahl
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 16, 2007
              everything I've ever read in regards to trail
              etiquette has always been "yield to the uphill
              traveler (and horses)"

              --- Ray Baxter <ray.baxter@...> wrote:

              > Jay Strine wrote:
              >
              > > But after that
              > > we hiked down through the crowds of tourist, that
              > did not know to
              > > yeild to the people with 50lbs packs coming
              > downhill.
              >
              > I don't think that this is a tourist phenomenon. In
              > about 40 years of
              > hiking, I have always followed the opposite rule.
              >
              > When going downhill, I yield to uphill foot traffic,
              > and I expect hikers
              > to yield to me when I am going uphill. I never
              > considered that load had
              > anything to do with it.
              >

              > Ray

              Jamie Dahl

              "Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity; and that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life." --John Muir
            • Jay Strine
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 17, 2007
                I do not know why the camp is closed. They had yellow caution tape
                where the trail forks off to Sunrise. They had 2 Large orange signs
                stating the Camp is closed and showed the detour to Sunrise Lakes.
                Sunrise lakes is approx 2 miles off the JMT.
                Agian I am not sure why, we did not go further up to look, and we did
                not take the detour we continued on the JMT. We had stocked up with
                water from Cathedral Lakes, before we got to Sunrise.
                I know that from Cathedral Lakes to Sunrise it is dry, (no water to be
                found), and after Surise we only found the one small creek we filled up
                at. I can only guess (and this is just a guess) that closing the area
                has to do with how dry it is. I do know the pipe that normally
                supplies Sunrise with water was shut off. I was told this in Yosemite
                the day before we started our trip.
                If you find out, let me know, I am curious.
                Take Care
                Jay

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Patronio@... wrote:

                > Why is Sunrise Camp closed???? Why are they diverting hikers?

              • mbeilfuss
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 17, 2007
                  Hey,
                  Just came from sunrise about a week or two ago. We were there the day
                  they shut off the water. It's been too dry this year. I've heard there
                  has been about 40% of the usual amount of rain. The small creek
                  running through the backpackers area at sunrise was hardly
                  flowing--less than a gallon a minute. The creek running through the
                  meadow was bone dry. They were running out of water for their paying
                  guests--they had to start trucking it in on mules--so they shut off
                  the tap. I guess that's why they closed the campground.
                  Water is a bit tricky on the JMT between Cathedral lake and halfdome.
                  Only one or two small streams are running. Fill up your belly and your
                  nalgenes when you can. Don;t know about off the trail. Maybe there are
                  other sources...?