Re: A frequent image

  • christopher_randall
    Message 1 of 473 , Jun 25, 1999
      I have a similar memory 'burned' into my mind,
      that continues to remind me of why I love to backpack.
      My friend and I set out to do a trip from Cedar
      Grove to Rae Lakes in August 1993. We camped at Vidette
      Meadow our first night, and headed up to Rae Lakes
      through Glen Pass the second morning. Just short of Glen
      Pass, there was a small valley on the near side of the
      crest. I think Glen Pass is about 12,000 ft., and the
      hike was (for me) rather murderous up from Vidette
      Meadow. In this small valley, the snow had all melted,
      and created a tiny lake, more of a pool, about 100
      feet in diameter, and was the only water in the
      valley. Nothing else, only stone and this amazing pool. I
      had never seen anything like it...the water was the
      deepest blue I had ever seen, and cold as ice. It was all
      I could do not to bend over and drink for days! (I
      was afraid of Giardia...) It was a magnificent spot
      that I will never forget.
    • tiocampo
      Message 473 of 473 , Feb 24, 2002