Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: availibility of gas canisters at resupply points on the jmt

  • Bob Bankhead
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2007
      Kevin is correct regarding no credit cards or checks at MTR. They have no phone at the ranch and so have no way to confirm their validity. Vermillion Valley Resort has a satellite phone but also does not take credit cards. You will need cash both places. I added several $20 bills to my VVR resupply box just in case I was running short.

      I don't want to argue with Kevin's recent experience at MTR, but to quote the MTR website resupply page:

      "Can I ship stove fuel in my package?
      Since Priority Mail goes by air, the post office says No. We have white gas and denatured alcohol for sale. We have Camping GAZ screw-on and punch-type propane canisters. We also carry Primus brand screw-on propane canisters. They are compatible with the following backpacking stoves: GAZ Turbo 270, Jetboil, Primus, Snow Peak and the following MSR stoves-WindPro, Super Fly, Pocket Rocket, and Reactor. They are in stock at all times. You do not need to reserve one. Our prices are reasonable.
      Do you sell food at the ranch?
      No. We have a small store at the ranch where you can get stove fuel, film, flashlight batteries, sunscreen, insect repellent, moleskin (for your blistered feet), postcards and stamps, and other such necessities. At the Florence Lake Store we have all of the above plus food, souvenirs, ice, cold drinks and such, but it's a long hike off the Muir Trail."_,_._,___

    • Kevin Aston
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2007
        VVR does have the ability to take credit cards, but he adds
        everything up on a tally sheet and then at his convience he runs it
        through on your card. I know. The meals for 10 people we ran through
        on my card last year showed up on my card no problem.

        As far as Muir, the lady that called herself the grandma of the camp
        told me she had no sodas or Gatoraide, and I walked in what I was
        told was the store and the fishing stuff looked ancient. Much of the
        little bit of stuff was so old that the wrappers were yellow and
        falling off. I'm sure they have a stash of stuff somewhere, as she
        brought out a plum and fruit slush for my 16 year old daughter, but
        told me several times that they had very little, and what they had
        was expensive. Use of their computer for email was $10 for 15 minutes.

        Kevin A

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Bankhead"