availibility of gas canisters at resupply points on the jmt

  • briceeking
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007
      Hi,
      Can anyone fill me in on the availability of compressed gas canisters
      (msr, primus, etc) at the resupply points?

      Can you get them in Tolumne, Reds, VVR?

      Also, does anyone have a feel for number of liters of boiled water per
      canister (what size canister) at the elevation of the trail? I know
      what I can get at sea level on the east coast but have no way of
      knowing how it will perform at elevation.

      Thanks in advance
      Brice
    • Fred Sharples
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007
        There were various canisters available at Tuolumne and VVR when I went
        through in June. I didn't note the brands but they were standard screw on
        types and I remembered seeing the older punch-through camping Gaz cans as
        well. Inventory changes of course.

        I was unable to confirm at Red's but I'd assume that they have them.

        As for the altitude difference, one can only guess, due to the particular
        stove and current temperatures.
        As long as you carry 2 cans for a while, you can figure it out while you're
        up there and know how little you can carry.

        I really like the Jetboil stove. I used their 100 gram canisters and went
        through just over 2 canisters for 20 days solo. Cooking 2 meals a day.

        I hope that helps.

        --
        Orange Design Inc.
        Games - Tech - Art