JMT way points file - where can I get one?

  • Srirama Dronamraju
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 24, 2011
      I bought a Garmin foretrex 401 and looking for a JMT waypoints file xxxx.gpx format. If not probably I should be able to convert an excel file containing description, lat, long, altitude info (one in each column). Did not find one in the library site.  Appreciate any info.
      Thanks,
      Krishna
    • Emily Yi
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 24, 2011
      I have a track file for JMT in gpx format. See if it works for you.

      -Emily

      Message 3 of 24 , Jun 24, 2011
        Can you please tell me more about this? I have a Garmin eTrex HCsx and I thought I had to enter all of my way points by hand. You mean I can save this as a file on the micro scanD?!
        I'm new to the GPS world and though I took a class on the use, they didn't mention formatting issues. Thanks in advance for the help!
        Viraj

        From: Emily Yi <emily_yi2004@...>
        Sender: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 06:43:51 -0700 (PDT)
        To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] JMT way points file - where can I get one? [1 Attachment]

        Message 4 of 24 , Jun 24, 2011
          Viraj:
          My fortrex 401 got a mini usb connector thru which I can upload / download files from the fortrex to PC or laptop.  This directly takes garmin way point file and you dont have to key in each way point. I will be doing my MS150 this weekend in Dekalb tour-de-forms  and will be able to give a more detailed answer after I try Emily's file.  I like to log all the info on my actual camp sites in a log file and down load the same after my JMT trip.
          Krishna

          From: Emily Yi <emily_yi2004@...>
          Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 06:43:51 -0700 (PDT)

          Message 5 of 24 , Jun 27, 2011
            Emily:
            Thanks! Looks like foretrex can take only 500 way points and so it did not work.  I just got Elizabeth Wenk's book and I will down load the word file again and convert the same to an excel with minimal descriptions and keep the total under 500. My fortrex froze when I tried to load the file. I will try it on my nuvi and check whether this works.
            Krishna

            [Attachment(s) from Emily Yi included below]

                Message 8 of 24 , Jun 28, 2011
                  Krishna,

                  If you have Garmin MapSource, you can load the gdb file and right click on the track and select the "Track Properties...". In the "Track Properties" window, click on the "Filter..." button and  set the "Maximum Points" in the "Track Filter" window to 500.

                  -Emily

                  Message 9 of 24 , Jun 28, 2011
                    Emily,
                    Where is the gdb file? I have only found a Word doc/Excel file for EW waypoints.
                    I would love to grab these in a format that I can download to my eTrex. The last file that was sent wasn't recognized by my computer.
                    Thanks in advance for your help.
                    Viraj

                    Message 10 of 24 , Jun 28, 2011
                      There is only one Elizabeth Wenk authorized file in the library.  The other files are derived from the authorized file.  This is the authorized file.  and it is Excel.  It has three worksheet tabs.

                      If above link is bad, here is same link embedded: link

                      Here is the folder, if you have problems with both of above method.

                      Here is the Filename:

                      _Elizabeth Wenk Master Spreadsheet for JMT.xls

                      Author and Publisher authorized upload of Elizabeth Wenk Master Spreadsheet used in the book, John Muir Trail, 4th Ed., 2007, Wilderness Press. Most of the files in this folder are reformatted or edited versions of this information.
                    • Emily Yi
                      Message 11 of 24 , Jun 28, 2011
                        Viraj,

                        Message 12 of 24 , Jun 28, 2011

                          Roleigh:

                          I tried both links and got “The requested file or directory is not found on the server.”

                          Joe

                          Message 13 of 24 , Jun 28, 2011

                            Embedded link works.

                          • birdnlady@yahoo.com
                            Message 14 of 24 , Jun 28, 2011
                              Where is the embedded link?

                              From: "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@...>
                              Sender: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                              Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 15:22:55 -0700
                              To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>

                              Message 15 of 24 , Jun 28, 2011
                                If the embedded link does not work, click on files in the left side list and follow the path:

                                Files > Planning and Transportation > Wilderness Press and Blackwood Press Data Points

                                you should be able to find the file and down load.  I just did on my mac.  No issue.  There are only 377 way points and the columns need to be pruned for description, lat, long and alt.
                                Krishna

                                On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 5:29 PM, <birdnlady@...> wrote:

                                Where is the embedded link?

                                From: "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@...>
                                Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 15:22:55 -0700

                                Embedded link works.

                                Message 16 of 24 , Jun 28, 2011

                                  Five lines down in Roleigh’s email below.  I yellowed it.

                                  Joe

                                  From: "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@...>

                                  Sender: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

                                  Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 15:22:55 -0700

                                  To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>

                                  Message 17 of 24 , Jun 28, 2011

                                    You can download a GPX file with all the  data from the Wenk book (including descriptions of the camp sites) on http://jmt.sierra-hikes.com/JMT.html

                                    It is really nice to have all campsites, creek crossings, trail junctions and ranger stations on the GPS. The book is a great resource and I recommend that anyone who downloads the GPX file also buys the book.

                                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@...> wrote:

                                    > Roleigh:
                                    >

                                    > I tried both links and got "The requested file or directory is not found on
                                    > the server."
                                    >

                                    > Joe

                                  • Viraj Ward
                                    Message 18 of 24 , Jun 29, 2011
                                      Thanks, Emily.
                                      I was able to access the link you sent, but your points are not label with any notation. Looks like they were the location of your tracks as you went on the trail. Is that right? Do you have notes on where the points are? Also, I want to be sure that I have the correct datum and coordinate system: UTM (WGS84). Some of the waypoints in our files are in NAD27 so I want to be sure the settings are correct.
                                      Thanks.
                                      Viraj

                                      Message 19 of 24 , Jun 29, 2011
                                        Viraj,

                                        The file JMT_NOBO.gdb is a track file, not waypoints. If you open it in Garmin MapSource, click on the "Tracks" tab, you should see it. If you load it to your eTrex, you should see it under "track Log".

                                        Message 20 of 24 , Jun 29, 2011
                                          Would you recommend using the NOBO file for a SOBO trip, or is that a no-go?

                                          Message 21 of 24 , Jun 29, 2011
                                            Since tracks loaded to GPS (at least all my 3 GPS's) don't show directions (they are not routes), I would say you can use a NOBO file for your SOBO hiking.

                                            -Emily

                                            Message 22 of 24 , Jul 1, 2011
                                              Anyone who wants to talk to me about how to upload publicly available
                                              gps files in different formats to a Foretrex can give me a call next
                                              week when I get back home. It will be easier to talk about your
                                              options then to try to type out all the various options. There may be
                                              easier options than using the Wenk Excel file. The 500 waypoint limit
                                              is a problem but there are workarounds.

                                              John Ladd
                                              415-648-9279

                                              On Wednesday, June 29, 2011, Emily Yi <emily_yi2004@...> wrote:

                                              > Since tracks loaded to GPS (at least all my 3 GPS's) don't show directions (they are not routes), I would say you can use a NOBO file for your SOBO hiking.
                                              > -Emily

                                              San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
                                              Message 23 of 24 , Jul 1, 2011
                                                Try

                                                If the link does not work, go to the Group

                                                Click on Links

                                                Click on Maps and Navigation

                                                Click on GPS and KML files

                                                If you find a good file, but in the wrong format, there are file
                                                converters online that change one format into others

                                                John Curran Ladd
                                                1616 Castro St
                                                San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
                                                415-648-9279

                                                On Friday, June 24, 2011, Srirama Dronamraju <krishna9012@...> wrote:

                                                > I bought a Garmin foretrex 401 and looking for a JMT waypoints file xxxx.gpx format. If not probably I should be able to convert an excel file containing description, lat, long, altitude info (one in each column). Did not find one in the library site.  Appreciate any info.
                                                > Thanks,
                                                > Krishna

                                                > Reply to sender |
                                                >
                                                > Reply to group |

                                                > (1)
                                                >

                                                > Recent Activity:

                                                > 26

                                                > 6

                                                > 1

                                                > Please strip out "replied-to" text if not necessary to your reply.  Failure to strip makes it hard for our Daily Digest members to find the new postings among the repeats.

                                                > Switch to: Text-Only,

                                                San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
                                                415-648-9279
                                              • Herb
                                                Message 24 of 24 , Jul 1, 2011
                                                  Another good source is Halfmile's waypoints: http://www.pctmap.net/download/p/waypointdl.html The site has waypoints for the entire PCT; the JMT section is California Section "H".

                                                  The waypoints are, as his trail name suggests, every half mile. The site provides free, downloadable maps showing the waypoints so its very easy to link the map in hand to the waypoints on your GPS. In the few places where the JMT and PCT deviate, both are on the maps. He also has trail notes available. We used the maps on our 2009 JMT and did not take a GPS. With waypoints at half-mile increments it was very easy to estimate trail distances at a glance.

                                                  The waypoints are all generated from an actual track of the hike and are not merely map derived.

                                                  Herb