Food Advice

  • Jay Strine
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 23, 2007
      I am trying to make room in my bear canister for a 5 day trip. I was
      curious if anyone has ever used foods like: Pepperoni, Sausage's,
      Salami, and cheese. If so what type/brand. All the ones I have seen
      at the store need to be Refrigerated after opening. I am looking for
      some that will do well in my canister for 4 days.
      I usally carry Freee dried stuff and package stuff, but I need a second
      canister for 5 days.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Feel free to email me directly: hundyff@...

      Thank you
      Jay Strine
    • Reuben Gerber
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 23, 2007
        Jay,

        If you package your dehydrated food properly you can fit enough food for one person in a bear canister (either Garcia or Ursack) for 7 to 9 days. I have packed 18 meals (breakfast and dinners) and lunch snacks into a Ursack and did a 9 1/2 day trip North Bound on the JMT last Aug without resupply. It can be done but it does take some work. I did need to store the first evening and next days breakfast and lunch outside of the canister in a scent proof bag. I consumed 1 1/2 pounds of food a day at approx. 4,000 to 4,500 calories per day.

        As far as the cheese and meat go. I have had luck with Salami for the first two days but I would find other calorie rich foods that are not temperature dependent. Nothing could be worse than a food born illness in the back country to "spoil" your trip.

        All the Best,

        Reuben Gerber

        Jay Strine <hundyff@...> wrote:
        I am trying to make room in my bear canister for a 5 day trip. I was
        curious if anyone has ever used foods like: Pepperoni, Sausage's,
        Salami, and cheese. If so what type/brand. All the ones I have seen
        at the store need to be Refrigerated after opening. I am looking for
        some that will do well in my canister for 4 days.
        I usally carry Freee dried stuff and package stuff, but I need a second
        canister for 5 days.
        Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        Feel free to email me directly: hundyff@...

        Thank you
        Jay Strine

      • Carol
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 24, 2007
          I've had good luck eating individually packaged string cheese for 3-
          4 days on the trail, just keep them cool.

          Cost Plus has small individually wrapped cheeses and summer sausages
          that work well. Or you can always get a vacuum sealer and package
          your own! By repackaging items with a vacuum sealer they'll stay
          good longer plus you'll be sucking out all the air and you'll be
          saving space in your canister that way.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Strine" <hundyff@...>

        • Patronio@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 24, 2007
            I managed to succesfuly carry and ship (as resupply), dry salami, either
            vacum sealed or as a sausage. It was a delicious treat that I ate as lunch almost
            everyday along my JMT.
            Julio

          • George Spearing
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 28, 2007
              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Strine" <hundyff@...> wrote:

              > I am trying to make room in my bear canister for a 5 day trip. I was
              > curious if anyone has ever used foods like: Pepperoni, Sausage's,
              > Salami, and cheese.

              Hello Jay,
              You won't go wrong with pepperoni salami as a sausage.
              I carry sausage salami for all my distance (and short) hikes. It seems
              to keep indefinitely, probably a combination of it being sealed in its
              own 'skin', the only exposed piece being the surface left after taking
              a slice and also likely due to the preservatives in it!
              The old mix of nuts/raisins is also nutritious and doesn't need
              preparation - though I tend to tire quickly of nut/raisins but can
              never get enough of the salami!
              George
            • Jason Morris
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 3, 2007
                I used Mountain House ProPack meals and breakfast meals. Six of each. I also had instant coffee thrown in there and ClifShots, as well as hygiene gear. I would recommend only taking the amount of food you need to get to your resupply point, but if you won't be hitting one, I guess your stuck. I recently used the BearVault 400 (the big one) and loved it.