Re: [John Muir Trail] Denatured alcohol

  • Frank Martin
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 9 10:13 AM
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, mbdingledy@... wrote:

      > I got some at VVR and at Red's Meadow. I don't think you are allowed
      to mail it, although some of my friends did.

      > Marybeth

      You can mail alcohol with specific guidelines. Alcohol and Esbit are
      considered 'open flame' and are treated differently than propane or
      white gas stoves. This varies by the jurisdiction that you are in and
      can change from day to day. If there is a no campfire policy in
      effect in many cases it also applies to alcohol stoves. My gut
      feeling is that they will be a no fire policy very early this year
      through much of the Sierra but you should check with the various
      jurisdictions before beginning your trip. I don't know if this link is
      still good but I posted this last year.

      Try this link.

      http://www.gottawalk.com/

      click "Hike Planning"

      then click "Mailing Fuel"

      then scroll down to Alcohol

      simplified quote from Gottawalk

      What this means to us:

      Primary Receptacle
      We can ship alcohol in a metal primary receptacle not to exceed 1
      quart. A nonmetal primary receptacle must not exceed 1 pint. The
      primary receptacle must have a screw cap (with a minimum of
      one-and-one-half turns), soldering clips, or other means of secure
      closure (friction tops are not acceptable). Only one primary
      receptacle is permitted per mail piece.

      Cushioning Material and Secondary Packaging
      Enough cushioning material must surround the primary receptacle to
      prevent breakage and absorb any potential leakage. The cushioning and
      primary receptacle must be packed in a securely sealed secondary
      packaging.

      Outer Packaging
      A strong outer packaging that is capable of firmly and securely
      holding the primary receptacle, cushioning material, and secondary
      packaging is required.

      Marking
      Each mailpiece must be clearly marked on the address side with
      "Surface Mail Only", "Consumer Commodity ORM-D", and the flashpoint of
      the flammable liquid (which is 13C/55F for denatured alcohol)
    • Kevin Aston
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 9 12:00 PM
        I got this in an email in Utah. I do not know if it is in affect
        California too, but I would check.

        "The Forest Service has just notified us that there is now a state-
        wide ban on all open fires including briquettes. The only fires
        allowed for cooking or keeping warm are the kind that can be turned
        off with a knob. This went into effect on July 4, 2007."

        My link I sent for fire info "incident/767/" is not working today.
        Sorry

        Kevin A

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Martin" <sriprank@...>