Re: Muir Trail Ranch

  • hikingpdub
    Message 1 of 36 , Jul 8, 2007
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, John Kays <jkays@...> wrote:

      > I received a reply from Patt Gray over the weekend. She was very
      gracious
      > and answered all of my questions. She was generally very helpful
      and an all
      > around sweet little lady.
      >
      > By the way, I really don't know how much food to send. I was going
      to pick
      > up enough food to finish the trip. How difficult is it to pick up
      food at
      > Reds Meadow and at the TM Store? I am allowing 16 days from start
      to finish
      > and figured that Muir Trail Ranch was smack right in the middle
      based on a
      > JMT hiker I ran into last summer of similar age and ability as me
      who
      > hitting it on day 7. I figured I could make it in 8 days. Any
      suggestions?
      > Thanks, John
      >John,

      Yes Patt is a very sweet lady. I met her last year while hiking the
      JMT.

      Reds Meadow and TM have nice little stores. To put you mind at
      ease, Patt at MTR has the best organized hiker boxes I have seen.
      She has everthing seperated into 5 gallon pales and even has 1 for
      non-food items.

      My friends boot sole was comming undone last year. Patt was good
      enough to keep it overnight and re-attach it with Gorilla glue!
    • rudy turk
      Message 36 of 36 , Aug 8, 2015
        The permit system if functioning. There are more people on the trail, but you can still hike for miles (not days) without seeing anyone. The JMT has not become a conga line (think the Mist Trail in Yosemite), as many bloggers fear.
               People are polite and respectful on the trail; much more civil than the tourist tempests of Mammoth and Yosemite where the peak summer season is in full swing. My son and I were always able to camp alone, and, rising early, enjoyed more than our share of trail tranquility. We often cooked breakfast on the passes where others were breaking to enjoy the view.
                Having hiked the Sierras for over 40 years, this summer was more crowded, but the miles of serene hiking are still there.
                We enjoyed meeting people from all over the world.

        On Saturday, August 8, 2015 9:05 AM, charliepolecat <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        "We have definitely had an increase this year. We anticipate about 3000 buckets to pass through here this summer. Way more people out on the trails!

        Jaclyn
        Muir Trail Ranch"

        So, what has happened to the supposed restrictive permitting system that is intended to contain the number of hikers in the wilderness?

        Maybe this is not the year for a JMT hike unless you like walking among the crowds? Although I imagine the numbers will continue to grow with the park service seemingly unable to contain them, so perhaps the
        good old days of not seeing anyone else for miles is gone forever.