10 Days?

  • Dave Sumner
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2007
      Greetings, i'm dave from texas used to be va - used to frequent blue
      ridge moutain sports(if it was the store and not the paper) that greg
      was talking about..oh the good ol days...anyway, i have a jmt trip
      somewhat planned for aug 8 the 18th... any thoughts on how doable
      that is? 10 days? going very light planning to eat as poactively as
      possible etc.... i would love to linger much longer out there but my
      job for a small business(i do autocad/cnc for a custom millwork shop-
      commerical stuff banks etc) dictates otherwise... i as others am
      trying figure out transportation from lone pine when i'm done...
      thinking one way rental from bishop to either reno or vegas... that
      way i get to see the outskirts of either death valley or tahoe...
      see ya out there

      --
      Dave Sumner
      512 785 3028

      Please note: message attached

      Save on a Fitness Franchise. Click Here
      http://track.juno.com/s/lc?u=http://tagline.untd.us/fc/Ioyw6iigjp0VE1ozUfMdwul5RJwtxgyk2SVdClkJfRnVJmbEc8F7X9/
    • Fred Sharples
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 7, 2007
        If you are a strong competitive long distance runner, you should be able to
        complete it in 10 days.

        Of all the PCT hikers I met in June, about 5% were able to keep that pace
        through the high Sierra, even when they were doing 35 miles a day through
        the desert. They were either strong marathon runners in their early 20s or
        people who had just completed another long distance trail and had 2500 miles
        on their feet and legs already. Even though the other 95% had 800 miles on
        their legs and were in top shape, they still slowed down due to the high
        altitude and the 46k feet of climbing.

        Another idea is to hike from Red's Meadow (Mammoth Lakes) to Whitney Portal.
        It's probably the most dramatic part and you'll still have plenty of
        challenging passes and gorgeous scenery.

        As an alternative to renting a car, there is a bus that goes from Lone Pine
        to the airport at Inyokern where you can fly to a larger airport.

        Have a great time in any case.

        _____

        david.sumner@ <mailto:david.sumner%40juno.com> juno.com

        Please note: message attached

        Save on a Fitness Franchise. Click Here
        http://track.
        <http://track.juno.com/s/lc?u=http://tagline.untd.us/fc/Ioyw6iigjp0VE1ozUfMd
        wul5RJwtxgyk2SVdClkJfRnVJmbEc8F7X9/>
        juno.com/s/lc?u=http://tagline.untd.us/fc/Ioyw6iigjp0VE1ozUfMdwul5RJwtxgyk2S
        VdClkJfRnVJmbEc8F7X9/

      • Frank Martin
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 8, 2007
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Sharples" <fred@...> wrote:

          > If you are a strong competitive long distance runner, you should be
          able to
          > complete it in 10 days.

          I'm 58 with three screws holding my hip together and have done the
          trail in less than ten days:). It isn't a style for most. I like to
          do it at the end of summer to get fit going into winter.

          It just takes planning and discipline. You just have to do 25 miles
          each day and with the long days it is not that difficult. I'm not a
          fast hiker but will spend 13-14 hours hiking each day. It is a matter
          of finishing your hike one day and setting yourself up for the next.
          You can double passes at three places.
          Donohue and Island
          Mather and Pinchot
          Glenn and Forrester

          If you do this it is in the bag.

          Again I don't think this is the best way to appreciate the trail but
          for me I live rather close and have done it several times in different
          ways.

          frank