RE: [John Muir Trail] Re: Ursack Hybrid - use without the liner?

  • Fred Sharples
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 6, 2007
      Here's an FAQ item from http://www.sierrawildbear.gov

      What happens if I don't use a canister in mandatory canister areas?
      Failure to use an approved canister where canisters are required is
      considered improper food storage and may result in a citation, property
      impoundment and/or you will be asked to leave the backcountry.

      It would be interesting to know what the fine and punishment currently are
      for not protecting food. I think it's different for each park and probably
      up to the individual ranger.

      In any case, the real issue is that we all should do our part to keep the
      bears disinterested in hiker food.

      The rangers I spoke to said the new requirements are working and that the
      bears are bothering people much less in the past year and a half. I think
      that's a good thing for everyone.

      That said, the current solutions are pretty much awful. My can was the
      biggest, clumsiest piece of equipment I had to drag out there. Hopefully
      we'll look back at these crazy bear cans in a few years and laugh.

      The SIBBG needs to loosen the testing requirements a little and the
      manufacturers need to come up with something more creative that works for
      today's ultra-light backpackers.

      From: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 9, 2007
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Sharples" <fred@...> wrote:

        > That said, the current solutions are pretty much awful. My can was the
        > biggest, clumsiest piece of equipment I had to drag out there. Hopefully
        > we'll look back at these crazy bear cans in a few years and laugh.
        >
        > The SIBBG needs to loosen the testing requirements a little and the
        > manufacturers need to come up with something more creative that
        works for
        > today's ultra-light backpackers.

        I don't think we will ever see an end to the use of Bear Canisters in
        Yosemite. It is just 'too popular', not just the JMT but the routes
        leading into it. There are plenty of other places to hike N of
        Yosemite where canisters are not required. Once you leave the
        Yosemite boundry on the PCT you don't need one and can hike to Canada
        without one. There are lots of areas of SEKI that presently don't
        require canisters. There it is a matter of the trailhead you choose.

        The 'bear problem' in Yosemite is man made. I am a hardcore UL
        backpacker. For my extreme UL my baseweight is under 10lbs before
        food and water. I dehydrate my food and can survive on under 1 lb/day
        and thruhike 30 miles/day. I've done the JMT with 18 lbs total weight
        and no resupply with proper food canister. It takes work.

        I get frustrated with some of my fellow UL'ers as I see them breaking
        the rules with food storage. They seem to think that since they
        'golite' they have a sense of entitlement. This is not a condemnation
        of anyone here but just something I see when I am out there. People
        bragging about how they break the rules.

        I don't know what else SIBBG can do. In the past two years there have
        been failures with certain Bearvault models and the Ursack V27 and
        their certification was revoked. Each time this occurs it is a step
        backward at least for the bears.

        There is a new product in the works.

        http://www.wilderness-solutions.com/palisade_est.htm

        Somehow going out in the wilderness and giving an electric shock to
        animals doesn't really appeal to me. I'm sure that it would have
        little effect on a bear but wonder about smaller animals. Of course
        if I were a bear and got a shock I might be pretty PO'ed and just take
        it out on whoever happened to be nearby.

        I guess my general feeling about all of this is that if you are going
        out in an area where bear activity is active just suck it up and carry
        a proper canister and stop complaining. I own two Bearikades the
        Weekender and the Expedition. They are expensive and somewhat
        difficult to pack but they are realtively lite and most of all they
        work. You do have to be sure that you secure the lid properly.

        The environment in the Sierra is very fragile this year. With little
        snowpack and hot weather there is high fire danger. I am just waiting
        for a UL'er with an alcohol stove to start a fire.

        Again no offense to anyone here.

        frank