RE: [John Muir Trail] Re: Ursack Hybrid - use without the liner?

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 6, 2007
      Technically the fine can be $5000 but I have only heard of a $500 ever being dealt out and I have heard of the requirement to immediately hike outside of the park boundaries too.

      The weight difference between a legal Ursack and a wild-ideas.net weekender is only a couple or few ounces I think, and the weekender can hold 9 days of food (I've gotten 9 days of food in it--depends on what one takes for food). You can remove your aluminum packaging just before the hike as the food will stay good for about 2-3 weeks outside of the aluminum packaging -- use freezer plastic bags instead. That will allow better packing, less weight, and burnability of garbage too.

      Of course the wild-ideas.net items weight a lot more.

      Some people I have heard bring a legal bear cannister along (smallest that is legal, say either a wild-ideas.net scout weekender or cannister or a legal ursack with aluminum insert ) plus a separate ursack without an insert for the trash and overflow items, taking a tiny risk. Most of the time rangers when they see the legal container leave you go at that. I always bring a separate Ursack without an insert along to protect items from rodents inside bear boxes along with a legal bear resistant cannister.

      Fred Sharples <fred@...> wrote:
      Removing the liner will technically make the Ursack illegal in the National
      Parks and a few other places on the trip. So you could get a big fine and be
      sent packing home if a ranger comes checking. But with your pace, you'll be
      pretty much running so maybe you don't have to worry about that. ; )

      Even so, fitting 10 days of food into a 650 cubic inch Ursack, with or
      without the liner will be the biggest problem, especially when you need to
      eat enough calories for 20+ mile days. They're really small.

      For instance I rented a 900 cubic inch Bearikade Expedition and I could only
      fit 11 days in there. All my food was freeze dried, smashed down to crumbs
      and all packaging was removed. So you might want to try packing the thing
      well before you leave so you have time to make a plan B.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 6, 2007
        Here's an FAQ item from http://www.sierrawildbear.gov

        What happens if I don't use a canister in mandatory canister areas?
        Failure to use an approved canister where canisters are required is
        considered improper food storage and may result in a citation, property
        impoundment and/or you will be asked to leave the backcountry.

        It would be interesting to know what the fine and punishment currently are
        for not protecting food. I think it's different for each park and probably
        up to the individual ranger.

        In any case, the real issue is that we all should do our part to keep the
        bears disinterested in hiker food.

        The rangers I spoke to said the new requirements are working and that the
        bears are bothering people much less in the past year and a half. I think
        that's a good thing for everyone.

        That said, the current solutions are pretty much awful. My can was the
        biggest, clumsiest piece of equipment I had to drag out there. Hopefully
        we'll look back at these crazy bear cans in a few years and laugh.

        The SIBBG needs to loosen the testing requirements a little and the
        manufacturers need to come up with something more creative that works for
        today's ultra-light backpackers.

        Fred Sharples <fred@... <mailto:fred%40orangedesign.com> >

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 9, 2007
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Sharples" <fred@...> wrote:

          > That said, the current solutions are pretty much awful. My can was the
          > biggest, clumsiest piece of equipment I had to drag out there. Hopefully
          > we'll look back at these crazy bear cans in a few years and laugh.
          >
          > The SIBBG needs to loosen the testing requirements a little and the
          > manufacturers need to come up with something more creative that
          works for
          > today's ultra-light backpackers.

          I don't think we will ever see an end to the use of Bear Canisters in
          Yosemite. It is just 'too popular', not just the JMT but the routes
          leading into it. There are plenty of other places to hike N of
          Yosemite where canisters are not required. Once you leave the
          Yosemite boundry on the PCT you don't need one and can hike to Canada
          without one. There are lots of areas of SEKI that presently don't
          require canisters. There it is a matter of the trailhead you choose.

          The 'bear problem' in Yosemite is man made. I am a hardcore UL
          backpacker. For my extreme UL my baseweight is under 10lbs before
          food and water. I dehydrate my food and can survive on under 1 lb/day
          and thruhike 30 miles/day. I've done the JMT with 18 lbs total weight
          and no resupply with proper food canister. It takes work.

          I get frustrated with some of my fellow UL'ers as I see them breaking
          the rules with food storage. They seem to think that since they
          'golite' they have a sense of entitlement. This is not a condemnation
          of anyone here but just something I see when I am out there. People
          bragging about how they break the rules.

          I don't know what else SIBBG can do. In the past two years there have
          been failures with certain Bearvault models and the Ursack V27 and
          their certification was revoked. Each time this occurs it is a step
          backward at least for the bears.

          There is a new product in the works.

          http://www.wilderness-solutions.com/palisade_est.htm

          Somehow going out in the wilderness and giving an electric shock to
          animals doesn't really appeal to me. I'm sure that it would have
          little effect on a bear but wonder about smaller animals. Of course
          if I were a bear and got a shock I might be pretty PO'ed and just take
          it out on whoever happened to be nearby.

          I guess my general feeling about all of this is that if you are going
          out in an area where bear activity is active just suck it up and carry
          a proper canister and stop complaining. I own two Bearikades the
          Weekender and the Expedition. They are expensive and somewhat
          difficult to pack but they are realtively lite and most of all they
          work. You do have to be sure that you secure the lid properly.

          The environment in the Sierra is very fragile this year. With little
          snowpack and hot weather there is high fire danger. I am just waiting
          for a UL'er with an alcohol stove to start a fire.

          Again no offense to anyone here.

          frank