Assistance/guidance needed - transport from Whitney Portal to San Jose

  • spritekk
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2007
      Can someone help me on this? I need to get from Whitney Portal / Lone
      Pine / Bishop back to San Jose. I would REALLY like to be able to get
      from Bishop to San Jose in one day, if at all humanly possible.

      Near as I can figure, I would need to do the following - can someone
      help me figure this out with details? After 10 days on the JMT from
      Tuol Mdws, I figure I will need to:

      a) Hitch a ride to Lone Pine -

      this means overnight in Lone Pine - any suggestions on rooms near the
      bus station? Where is the bus station?

      b) Crest bus to Bishop at 06:30, 08:30 or 17:00 (M-F only)

      If I take the 06:30 bus, can I get to Bishop in time for the 7AM bus
      to Lee Vining?

      If not, any suggestions on rooms near the bus station in Bishop?
      Where is the bus station?

      c) Crest bus Bishop to Lee Vining at 07:00 (M,T,Th,Fr only)

      d) Yarts bus from Lee Vining to "somewhere in Yosemite"?

      What times do Yarts run into Yosemite?
      Where does Yarts drop off?
      Where does the Amtrak bus pickup?

      Any idea where one drops off, and where the other picks up?

      e) Amtrak from 'somewhere in Yosemite" to Merced (bus) to Stockton
      (train) to San Jose (bus).
    • onkelb0b
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 7, 2007
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "spritekk" <spritekk@...> wrote:

        > Can someone help me on this? I need to get from Whitney Portal /
        Lone Pine / Bishop back to San Jose. I would REALLY like to be able to
        get from Bishop to San Jose in one day, if at all humanly possible.

        That will be tough - the buses, etc., are not synchronized. I
        hitch-hiked from Lone Pine to Tuloumne starting at 09:00 got there @16:00

        > a) Hitch a ride to Lone Pine -
        > this means overnight in Lone Pine - any suggestions on rooms near
        the bus station? Where is the bus station?
        Not sure where the bus station is, the Crest bus can be flagged down
        on 395. There are flyers for it at the Dow Villa Hotel.

        The Dow Villa Hotel is recommended - if you're on a budget you can get
        a room w/o a bathroom (down the hall) No big deal since it doesn't
        involve digging a hole!

        Seasons Restaurant is pretty good (but no salad bar).

        > b) Crest bus to Bishop at 06:30, 08:30 or 17:00 (M-F only)
        > If I take the 06:30 bus, can I get to Bishop in time for the 7AM bus
        > to Lee Vining?

        No. It's about an hour from Lone Pine to Bishop.

        > If not, any suggestions on rooms near the bus station in Bishop?
        > Where is the bus station?

        I stayed in the Holiday Inn Express once in Bishop. They have a
        jacuzzi (That was after a HST trip)

        > c) Crest bus Bishop to Lee Vining at 07:00 (M,T,Th,Fr only)
        > d) Yarts bus from Lee Vining to "somewhere in Yosemite"?
        >
        > What times do Yarts run into Yosemite?
        > Where does Yarts drop off?
        > Where does the Amtrak bus pickup?

        You can flag down the Yarts bus at the junction of CA 120 and US 395.
        I think it goes all the way to the valley but I'm not sure...
        (hitch-hiked this portion.) Times and schedule should be on their website.

        > Any idea where one drops off, and where the other picks up?
        > e) Amtrak from 'somewhere in Yosemite" to Merced (bus) to Stockton
        > (train) to San Jose (bus).

        Yosemite Lodge is the stop for both buses. You may want to try
        getting the Yarts and head out to Merced. From there you can take
        Greyhound into SJC.
      • Kevin Aston
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 10, 2007
          There is a bus which connects to LA and Reno. Both go through Lone
          Pine.
          http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/South%20Connections%20page.htm
          Shows to LA,
          http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm