Re: Suggestions for rest day location

  • hikingpdub
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 5, 2007
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "briceeking" <briceeking@...>
      wrote:

      > All,
      > Quick question for you. My wife and I will be starting the JMT mid-
      > August and have 16 days to work with and we figure on one rest day.
      > am looking for suggestions on where to enjoy the rest day, somewhere
      > between day 5 and day 13. Is there any one spot in particular that
      > people feel is particularly beautiful and quiet? We don't want to
      > spend it at Vermillion, we would prefer to be in the wilderness for
      the
      > day
      > Thoughts?
      > Thanks
      > Brice

      Bryce,

      My suggestion may be way off base. Others reading this please don't
      shoot me.

      Take the tram/bus from Red's Meadow to the town of Mammoth Lakes (very
      pretty town.) Buy yourselves a nice dinner, have some wine/beer stay
      the night in a nice soft bed, have a hot shower. This may not seem
      like what you want right now but after several days in the woods all
      of these luxuries become desperate wants. Many people never complete
      there hikes because of these needs.

      My 2 cents are the people who take these kinds of breaks from the
      trail tend to complete there goal.
    • Fred Sharples
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007
        I agree with hikingpdub entirely. While I suggested Evolution Lake, I spent
        a night in Mammoth and it was excellent. I didn't think I would go into town
        at all on my trip but once you are out there for a long while, it really
        doesn't feel like cheating. Most of the PCT through-hikers I met also
        believe that town visits are vitally important for keeping up health and
        spirits.

        Also, you can eat anything you want, as much as you want!

        Just keep it in mind while you are out there on your hike. It's probably
        impossible to consider right now during your planning stage.

        The Quality Inn in Mammoth Lakes was a good clean place to stay and Schatz
        Bakery is a must visit. Everything is within easy walking distance.

        Good luck and have a great trip.

        Fred (Quake)

        > Quick question for you. My wife and I will be starting the JMT mid-
        > August and have 16 days to work with and we figure on one rest day.
        > am looking for suggestions on where to enjoy the rest day, somewhere
        > between day 5 and day 13. Is there any one spot in particular that
        > people feel is particularly beautiful and quiet? We don't want to
        > spend it at Vermillion, we would prefer to be in the wilderness for
        the
        > day
        > Thoughts?
        > Thanks
        > Brice

        Bryce,

        My suggestion may be way off base. Others reading this please don't
        shoot me.

        Take the tram/bus from Red's Meadow to the town of Mammoth Lakes (very
        pretty town.) Buy yourselves a nice dinner, have some wine/beer stay
        the night in a nice soft bed, have a hot shower. This may not seem
        like what you want right now but after several days in the woods all
        of these luxuries become desperate wants. Many people never complete
        there hikes because of these needs.

        My 2 cents are the people who take these kinds of breaks from the
        trail tend to complete there goal.

      • briceeking
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 10, 2007
          All,
          Thanks for the ideas and feedback. Sounds like Evolution gets the
          most votes for a backcountry rest day - looking forward to spending
          time there (or wherever we actually end up). We are figuring on
          spending a night at VVR which should take care of
          food/drink/civilization cravings for the trip - but I can definitely
          see the benefits to Mammoth.

          Thanks all
          Brice

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Sharples" <fred@...>