Re: Suggestions for rest day location

  • Frank Martin
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 5, 2007
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Martin" <sriprank@...> wrote:

      > A couple of spots to consider are Evolution Lake and the lakes on the
      > South side of Selden Pass. Or off the trail just a bit to Bench Lake
      > just S of Pinchot.
      >
      > frank

      Should have said N.of Pinchot.
    • Fred Sharples
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 5, 2007
        I agree that Evolution Lake is a beautiful spot. It's above 11k though so
        the weather can be unpredictable. I didn't see anyone when I was camped
        there a few weeks ago.

        http://flickr.com/photos/ballena/640343847/

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 5, 2007
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "briceeking" <briceeking@...>
          wrote:

          > All,
          > Quick question for you. My wife and I will be starting the JMT mid-
          > August and have 16 days to work with and we figure on one rest day.
          > am looking for suggestions on where to enjoy the rest day, somewhere
          > between day 5 and day 13. Is there any one spot in particular that
          > people feel is particularly beautiful and quiet? We don't want to
          > spend it at Vermillion, we would prefer to be in the wilderness for
          the
          > day
          > Thoughts?
          > Thanks
          > Brice

          Bryce,

          My suggestion may be way off base. Others reading this please don't
          shoot me.

          Take the tram/bus from Red's Meadow to the town of Mammoth Lakes (very
          pretty town.) Buy yourselves a nice dinner, have some wine/beer stay
          the night in a nice soft bed, have a hot shower. This may not seem
          like what you want right now but after several days in the woods all
          of these luxuries become desperate wants. Many people never complete
          there hikes because of these needs.

          My 2 cents are the people who take these kinds of breaks from the
          trail tend to complete there goal.
        • Fred Sharples
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007
            I agree with hikingpdub entirely. While I suggested Evolution Lake, I spent
            a night in Mammoth and it was excellent. I didn't think I would go into town
            at all on my trip but once you are out there for a long while, it really
            doesn't feel like cheating. Most of the PCT through-hikers I met also
            believe that town visits are vitally important for keeping up health and
            spirits.

            Also, you can eat anything you want, as much as you want!

            Just keep it in mind while you are out there on your hike. It's probably
            impossible to consider right now during your planning stage.

            The Quality Inn in Mammoth Lakes was a good clean place to stay and Schatz
            Bakery is a must visit. Everything is within easy walking distance.

            Good luck and have a great trip.

            Fred (Quake)

            > Quick question for you. My wife and I will be starting the JMT mid-
            > August and have 16 days to work with and we figure on one rest day.
            > am looking for suggestions on where to enjoy the rest day, somewhere
            > between day 5 and day 13. Is there any one spot in particular that
            > people feel is particularly beautiful and quiet? We don't want to
            > spend it at Vermillion, we would prefer to be in the wilderness for
            the
            > day
            > Thoughts?
            > Thanks
            > Brice

            Bryce,

            My suggestion may be way off base. Others reading this please don't
            shoot me.

            Take the tram/bus from Red's Meadow to the town of Mammoth Lakes (very
            pretty town.) Buy yourselves a nice dinner, have some wine/beer stay
            the night in a nice soft bed, have a hot shower. This may not seem
            like what you want right now but after several days in the woods all
            of these luxuries become desperate wants. Many people never complete
            there hikes because of these needs.

            My 2 cents are the people who take these kinds of breaks from the
            trail tend to complete there goal.

          • briceeking
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 10, 2007
              All,
              Thanks for the ideas and feedback. Sounds like Evolution gets the
              most votes for a backcountry rest day - looking forward to spending
              time there (or wherever we actually end up). We are figuring on
              spending a night at VVR which should take care of
              food/drink/civilization cravings for the trip - but I can definitely
              see the benefits to Mammoth.

              Thanks all
              Brice

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Sharples" <fred@...>