Suggestions for rest day location

  • briceeking
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 4, 2007
      All,
      Quick question for you. My wife and I will be starting the JMT mid-
      August and have 16 days to work with and we figure on one rest day. I
      am looking for suggestions on where to enjoy the rest day, somewhere
      between day 5 and day 13. Is there any one spot in particular that
      people feel is particularly beautiful and quiet? We don't want to
      spend it at Vermillion, we would prefer to be in the wilderness for the
      day
      Thoughts?
      Thanks
      Brice
    • hmdsierra
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 4, 2007
        Grouse Meadow. When my son and I did JMT we took our first day off
        there, the second in the upper Kern Basin. My son must have really
        liked Grouse Mdw because a few years later we spent an afternon and
        night there and the smile on his face when we arrived told the tale.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "briceeking" <briceeking@...> wrote:

        > All,
        > Quick question for you. My wife and I will be starting the JMT mid-
        > August and have 16 days to work with and we figure on one rest day. I
        > am looking for suggestions on where to enjoy the rest day, somewhere
        > between day 5 and day 13. Is there any one spot in particular that
        > people feel is particularly beautiful and quiet? We don't want to
        > spend it at Vermillion, we would prefer to be in the wilderness for the
        > day
        > Thoughts?
        > Thanks
        > Brice

      • Frank Martin
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 5, 2007
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "briceeking" <briceeking@...> wrote:

          > All,
          > Quick question for you. My wife and I will be starting the JMT mid-
          > August and have 16 days to work with and we figure on one rest day. I
          > am looking for suggestions on where to enjoy the rest day, somewhere
          > between day 5 and day 13. Is there any one spot in particular that
          > people feel is particularly beautiful and quiet? We don't want to
          > spend it at Vermillion, we would prefer to be in the wilderness for the
          > day
          > Thoughts?
          > Thanks
          > Brice

          A couple of spots to consider are Evolution Lake and the lakes on the
          South side of Selden Pass. Or off the trail just a bit to Bench Lake
          just S of Pinchot.

          frank
        • Frank Martin
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 5, 2007
            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Martin" <sriprank@...> wrote:

            > A couple of spots to consider are Evolution Lake and the lakes on the
            > South side of Selden Pass. Or off the trail just a bit to Bench Lake
            > just S of Pinchot.
            >
            > frank

            Should have said N.of Pinchot.
          • Fred Sharples
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 5, 2007
              I agree that Evolution Lake is a beautiful spot. It's above 11k though so
              the weather can be unpredictable. I didn't see anyone when I was camped
              there a few weeks ago.

              http://flickr.com/photos/ballena/640343847/

              > Quick question for you. My wife and I will be starting the JMT mid-
              > August and have 16 days to work with and we figure on one rest day. I
              > am looking for suggestions on where to enjoy the rest day, somewhere
              > between day 5 and day 13. Is there any one spot in particular that
              > people feel is particularly beautiful and quiet? We don't want to
              > spend it at Vermillion, we would prefer to be in the wilderness for the
              > day
              > Thoughts?
              > Thanks
              > Brice

              A couple of spots to consider are Evolution Lake and the lakes on the
              South side of Selden Pass. Or off the trail just a bit to Bench Lake
              just S of Pinchot.

              frank

            • hikingpdub
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 5, 2007
                wrote:

                > All,
                > Quick question for you. My wife and I will be starting the JMT mid-
                > August and have 16 days to work with and we figure on one rest day.
                > am looking for suggestions on where to enjoy the rest day, somewhere
                > between day 5 and day 13. Is there any one spot in particular that
                > people feel is particularly beautiful and quiet? We don't want to
                > spend it at Vermillion, we would prefer to be in the wilderness for
                the
                > day
                > Thoughts?
                > Thanks
                > Brice

                Bryce,

                My suggestion may be way off base. Others reading this please don't
                shoot me.

                Take the tram/bus from Red's Meadow to the town of Mammoth Lakes (very
                pretty town.) Buy yourselves a nice dinner, have some wine/beer stay
                the night in a nice soft bed, have a hot shower. This may not seem
                like what you want right now but after several days in the woods all
                of these luxuries become desperate wants. Many people never complete
                there hikes because of these needs.

                My 2 cents are the people who take these kinds of breaks from the
                trail tend to complete there goal.
              • Fred Sharples
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007
                  I agree with hikingpdub entirely. While I suggested Evolution Lake, I spent
                  a night in Mammoth and it was excellent. I didn't think I would go into town
                  at all on my trip but once you are out there for a long while, it really
                  doesn't feel like cheating. Most of the PCT through-hikers I met also
                  believe that town visits are vitally important for keeping up health and
                  spirits.

                  Also, you can eat anything you want, as much as you want!

                  Just keep it in mind while you are out there on your hike. It's probably
                  impossible to consider right now during your planning stage.

                  The Quality Inn in Mammoth Lakes was a good clean place to stay and Schatz
                  Bakery is a must visit. Everything is within easy walking distance.

                  Good luck and have a great trip.

                  Fred (Quake)

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 10, 2007
                    All,
                    Thanks for the ideas and feedback. Sounds like Evolution gets the
                    most votes for a backcountry rest day - looking forward to spending
                    time there (or wherever we actually end up). We are figuring on
                    spending a night at VVR which should take care of
                    food/drink/civilization cravings for the trip - but I can definitely
                    see the benefits to Mammoth.

                    Thanks all
                    Brice

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Sharples" <fred@...>