Re: Final Test on Jetboil and Kraft Mac and Cheese.

  • targetdoggmechanic
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2, 2011
      Oops. Just saw that the olive oil packets are backordered. They do have small bottles of it but that would add some weight. Hopefully they will refresh their stock soon, after the PCT'rs more than likely sold them out!

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "targetdoggmechanic" <targetdoggmechanic@...> wrote:

      > Here is a similar approach from Erik the Black, cut and pasted from his Blog site. MUCH cheaper than those MH freeze dried dinners yet still relatively simple:
      >
      > 105 calories per ounce (with olive oil & summer sausage)Macaroni & Cheese is a staple food for poor college students and hikers alike. At just 99 cents (or less) per box you can't beat it for a cheap, filling trail dinner.
      >
      > The cooking instructions call for a lot of water, butter, milk and simmering. But that's not necessary. All you need to cook trail mac is 2 cups of boiling water and a pot cozy.
      >
      > By itself it's kind of bland, but when you add olive oil, parmesan cheese, summer sausage, SPAM or tuna, plus hot sauce and seasoning, mac and cheese becomes a trail delicacy.
      >
      > One box of macaroni and cheese, prepared with 1 ounce of olive oil and 2 ounces of summer sausage provides a whopping 1,100 calories, and weighs just 10.5 ounces.
      >
      > Here olive oil you can use in individual meal packets--
      > http://www.minimus.biz/Marconi-Organic-Extra-Virgin-Olive-Oil-packet-F01-0851202-1100.aspx
      >
      > Mike
      >
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I just ate dinner of Kraft Masc and Cheese cooked on my Jetboil Sol. Excellent and I ate the whole thing which I never do at home (and I shouldn't have). Filled the Jetboil cup with water to about 3/5 full. Let it boil (boiled over a bit) (I'm a noob with this thing). Added the macaroni and added a bit more water to keep it almost full. Had to pay attention to stir it but nothing to special. Also ran it at simmer. The macaroni came out perfect. Poured off most of the excess water thru the orange strainer top. Added 1 heaping tablespoon of Nido powdered whole milk, one foil pack of Marconi olive oil (says it is a 1/2 oz)- actually organic extra virgin olive oil (whatever that means)and the cheese mix and stirred. I could have stirred it better - the bottom was less cheesy that the top but I can fix that. It tasted just like Kraft Mac and Cheese. If you like Kraft Mac and Cheese you will like this if you prefer to make it from scratch you probably won't like it.
      > >
      > > OK I know the Macaroni part works good on the Jetboil and the whole thing is probably a bit off topic anyway but thanks for all the input and Nathan I will add some chopped up Summer Sausage to it.
      > >
      > > I guess I have to not turn the gas up to high when I light it. It went pow and singed my finger hairs when it fired up.

    • Joe MacLeish
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2, 2011

        My order just arrived a few days ago so they must have just run out.  I used one but two might help it mix better.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 2011
          On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 9:23 AM, targetdoggmechanic <targetdoggmechanic@...> wrote:

          Oops. Just saw that the olive oil packets are backordered. They do have small bottles of it but that would add some weight. Hopefully they will refresh their stock soon, after the PCT'rs more than likely sold them out!

          Just teasing, but I don't see why anyone would start a backpack trip with less than 1-2 cups of olive oil.  And if that's true, why not carry in Nalgene bottles which won't leak?  Easy to find in 8 oz size - 16 oz available online from Graingers (free delivery to store if you have one nearby).

          You can add to almost any dinner, to cornmeal mush, hummus powder, tabbouleh mix, dip bread in it, cook eggs in it, etc.  Great stuff. Like 220 calories per oz

          John
        • basecampbound
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 2, 2011
            Just a suggestion.....

            You don't need the packets, and yes, the small bottles will add weight.

            I just place my own olive oil in small bottles. For short trips, I use these:
            http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/fluid_vials.html

            For larger amounts, use these:
            http://www.rei.com/product/753331/round-bottle-3-fl-oz

            both are lightweight, and you can fill them with your olive oil from home. I use other liquids in them as well, (although label food items separately from soap or other items)