Re: [John Muir Trail] just completed JMT southbound - June 24

  • Prapanna Smith
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 27, 2007
      Hey Sri Prank!!

      My 25 year old son (who attended school at the SA Ashram in
      Pondicherry) and I are
      heading our early next week to do the North Lake-South Lake loop. We
      will camping
      near the bridge over Piute Creek (where you and I linked up in 2005)
      Thursday night.
      I am sure that when we are going up the trail to Evolution Valley I
      will be remembering
      our time together along that section two year ago.

      I hope we cross paths again out there some day.

      All the best,

      Prapanna

      A vast surrender was his only strength.
      Savitri Book 3, Canto 2

      On Jun 27, 2007, at 6:21 AM, Frank Martin wrote:

      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Doug <pukkmann2002@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Congrats!!! Fred, how were the mosquitos, the snow over Pnchot,
      > Mather, Glenn....and just how tough was the Golden Staircase? We are
      > going from Bishop Pass to Onion Valley in a few weeks....then,
      > finishing up with Onion Valley to Whitney Portal iin Sept. to complete
      > it for me!!!...again, way to go! Doug
      >
      > I've gone up and down the Golden Staircase many times. What works
      > best for me is to make camp at the base of it and start early S of
      > Deer Meadow). There is a stream there and good camping. Avoid the
      > heat and you can do the Staircase and get over Mather if you choose or
      > you can camp at the Lakes. I usually try and get from the base of the
      > Staircase to the trail to bench Lake at the approach to Pinchot but
      > there is excellent camping at the base of Mather where the river
      > crossing is.
      >
      > frank

    • Fred Sharples
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 27, 2007
        Thanks so much Doug

        The mosquitoes were kind of bad around Tully Hole, Seldon Pass, Vidette
        Meadow, Rae Lakes. Basically anyplace called [something]meadow or any place
        with water below 11K ft.

        However, I only used by head net on 2 nights total. Deet and my rain gear
        pretty much did the trick for me otherwise. Without coverage I would have
        around 20 mosquitoes on me at once. I've been in much worse around Yosemite
        and Carson Pass. (200 at once)

        The good thing is that the mosquitoes were not as bad further south where
        you are going.

        The passes are all pretty much clear of snow. At the worst there are several
        patches to walk over. None of them real steep or exposed to danger.

        Pinchot had maybe one small snow field if that. Mather had a few more than
        that. Glenn had a few patches too. None caused me to lose the trail or be
        frightened of slipping. I felt that hitting them after 10AM after they
        softened a bit was best. Postholing is a bit of a problem if you hit them
        late in the afternoon. I figured out that I needed to stay away from rocks
        sticking up from the snow. They have big hollow cavities around them and
        that's where you'll really drop the most.

        The only 2 with a fair bit of snow are Muir and Donohue Pass, both of which
        are north of your trip. Also I hit them a few weeks ago now. Muir had about
        50% trail snow coverage above Helen Lake. Not a big deal to walk around most
        of the snow fields. I never used my ice axe or crampons the whole time.

        Have a great time. That seems like a perfect trip.

        Congrats!!! Fred, how were the mosquitos, the snow over Pnchot, Mather,
        Glenn....and just how tough was the Golden Staircase? We are going from
        Bishop Pass to Onion Valley in a few weeks....then, finishing up with Onion
        Valley to Whitney Portal iin Sept. to complete it for me!!!...again, way to
        go! Doug

        Fred Sharples <fred@... <mailto:fred%40orangedesign.com> >
        wrote: If anyone has questions about current conditions etc. Let me know.

        I'll be updating my trail journal over the next few days.

        http://trailjournals.com/fredsharples

      • Fred Sharples
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 27, 2007
          The Golden Staircase was fine. I did it in the morning. It's probably easier
          to climb than to go down. A lot of PCTers complained about that going
          north.

          I camped at Deer Meadow too. It's pretty much all burned around there but
          just before the Golden Staircase, going south, there are some nice
          campsites in live trees. Mosquitoes were a nuisance there but not terrible.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 27, 2007
            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...> wrote:

            > Hey Sri Prank!!
            >
            > My 25 year old son (who attended school at the SA Ashram in
            > Pondicherry) and I are
            > heading our early next week to do the North Lake-South Lake loop. We
            > will camping
            > near the bridge over Piute Creek (where you and I linked up in 2005)
            > Thursday night.
            > I am sure that when we are going up the trail to Evolution Valley I
            > will be remembering
            > our time together along that section two year ago.
            >
            > I hope we cross paths again out there some day.
            >
            > All the best,
            >
            > Prapanna

            Hi Prapanna,

            Great that you are getting your son out with you. Still might be a
            bit of snow on Muir.

            I went in S of Bridgeport at Green Lake TH last weekend. Over
            Virginia Pass into the NE Corner of Yosemite. Went X-country and
            bagged Virginia and Twin Peaks. No snow at all there. There wasn't a
            soul back there. Just coyotes and marmots. Really spectacular area.

            Someday we will meetup I'm sure.

            take care,

            frank
          • Doug

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 28, 2007
                Fred it sounded like you enjoyed your trip. I read your journal I
                have a question. I am going on the 19th of July. I have been
                concerned about the low snow levels and if there will be drinking
                water easily available. You talked about a couple of stretches where
                water was tough to come by. Where were those places and where should
                be be sure to stock up for the long haul?
                Kevin A

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Sharples" <fred@...>
                wrote:

                > The Golden Staircase was fine. I did it in the morning. It's
                probably easier
                > to climb than to go down. A lot of PCTers complained about that
                going
                > north.
                >
                > I camped at Deer Meadow too. It's pretty much all burned around
                there but
                > just before the Golden Staircase, going south, there are some nice
                > campsites in live trees. Mosquitoes were a nuisance there but not
                terrible.

              • Fred Sharples
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 28, 2007
                  Hi Kevin,

                  The longest dry stretches were

                  Deer Creek to Paiute Creek Bridge (there was a little water that I didn't
                  take advantage of).

                  Tyndall Creek to Wallace Creek

                  Wallace Creek to Crabtree

                  Guitar Lake to Trail Camp

                  I carried very little water which made it seem worse than it is. I never
                  carried more than a liter and often I didn't carry any.

                  I usually drank 2 liters and then carried one when it was a long stretch. I
                  wouldn't advise this. I just wanted to save weight and see how well it
                  worked. I also didn't treat or filter water except before Half Dome, at Rae
                  Lakes, Tyndall Creek & all around Mt. Whitney. I also don't advise this but
                  I didn't want to carry a pump. I feel fine BTW.

                  <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com> , "Fred Sharples" <fred@...>