RE: [John Muir Trail] Re: Jetboil Sol - Anybody used one?

  • will cef
    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 1, 2011
      Yes, would agree with this....I only use to boil for dehydrated dinners

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: gordonjacobsen@...
      Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 06:00:48 +0000
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: Jetboil Sol - Anybody used one?

      I recently upgraded my first generation Jet Boil to the Sol Ti in the recent REI sale.

      In terms of the striker being reliable, I have never had problems with it (on either version of the Jet Boil) in summer or winter over 3.5 years of ownership. That being said, I do carry a backup lighter.

      As for the Mac N Cheese, I am not a fan (probably ate too much of it in college). However, I don't think I would boil more than 2.5 cups of anything in it. This weekend was my initial trial of the stove. Cooked dinner (2.5 cups of water) and breakfast / outmeail (1.5 cups of water). The 2.5 cups did splash a bit (you probably noticed the Sol only holds .8 liters or just under 3.5 cups).

      For me, I like it. While not ideal for cooking (at least not for me), I find that its ability to boil water is efficient and hassle free. So much so, that I base my meal planning around dehrydrated meals. Good luck with it.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@...> wrote:

      > So I just bought this thing because it weighs less (20 oz with 9 days fuel) than my MSR and pots and fuel. I have two questions. Is the striker/lighter reliable? and can I cook up a box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese? The water pot says 0.8 liters and the Kraft box says 6 cups of water but most all of it gets chucked. Has anybody done it since I want 3 of these dinners on my trip. I guess my other option is to cook up a Kraft mac and Cheese for dinner at home on my Jetboil and see. Appreciate any input, cautions, etc

    • trail2nowhere
      Message 32 of 32 , Aug 5, 2011
        We use secchi salami. Very dense and yummy. You can get it in most half way descent delis. We alway put a stick of it in our resupply boxes as a treat.