Re: [John Muir Trail] just completed JMT southbound - June 24

  • Doug
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 27, 2007
      Thank you so much Frank!!

      Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote: --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Doug <pukkmann2002@...> wrote:

      > Congrats!!! Fred, how were the mosquitos, the snow over Pnchot,
      Mather, Glenn....and just how tough was the Golden Staircase? We are
      going from Bishop Pass to Onion Valley in a few weeks....then,
      finishing up with Onion Valley to Whitney Portal iin Sept. to complete
      it for me!!!...again, way to go! Doug

      I've gone up and down the Golden Staircase many times. What works
      best for me is to make camp at the base of it and start early S of
      Deer Meadow). There is a stream there and good camping. Avoid the
      heat and you can do the Staircase and get over Mather if you choose or
      you can camp at the Lakes. I usually try and get from the base of the
      Staircase to the trail to bench Lake at the approach to Pinchot but
      there is excellent camping at the base of Mather where the river
      crossing is.

      frank

    • Prapanna Smith
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 27, 2007
        Hey Sri Prank!!

        My 25 year old son (who attended school at the SA Ashram in
        Pondicherry) and I are
        heading our early next week to do the North Lake-South Lake loop. We
        will camping
        near the bridge over Piute Creek (where you and I linked up in 2005)
        Thursday night.
        I am sure that when we are going up the trail to Evolution Valley I
        will be remembering
        our time together along that section two year ago.

        I hope we cross paths again out there some day.

        All the best,

        Prapanna

        A vast surrender was his only strength.
        Savitri Book 3, Canto 2

        On Jun 27, 2007, at 6:21 AM, Frank Martin wrote:

        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Doug <pukkmann2002@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Congrats!!! Fred, how were the mosquitos, the snow over Pnchot,
        > Mather, Glenn....and just how tough was the Golden Staircase? We are
        > going from Bishop Pass to Onion Valley in a few weeks....then,
        > finishing up with Onion Valley to Whitney Portal iin Sept. to complete
        > it for me!!!...again, way to go! Doug
        >
        > I've gone up and down the Golden Staircase many times. What works
        > best for me is to make camp at the base of it and start early S of
        > Deer Meadow). There is a stream there and good camping. Avoid the
        > heat and you can do the Staircase and get over Mather if you choose or
        > you can camp at the Lakes. I usually try and get from the base of the
        > Staircase to the trail to bench Lake at the approach to Pinchot but
        > there is excellent camping at the base of Mather where the river
        > crossing is.
        >
        > frank

      • Fred Sharples
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 27, 2007
          Thanks so much Doug

          The mosquitoes were kind of bad around Tully Hole, Seldon Pass, Vidette
          Meadow, Rae Lakes. Basically anyplace called [something]meadow or any place
          with water below 11K ft.

          However, I only used by head net on 2 nights total. Deet and my rain gear
          pretty much did the trick for me otherwise. Without coverage I would have
          around 20 mosquitoes on me at once. I've been in much worse around Yosemite
          and Carson Pass. (200 at once)

          The good thing is that the mosquitoes were not as bad further south where
          you are going.

          The passes are all pretty much clear of snow. At the worst there are several
          patches to walk over. None of them real steep or exposed to danger.

          Pinchot had maybe one small snow field if that. Mather had a few more than
          that. Glenn had a few patches too. None caused me to lose the trail or be
          frightened of slipping. I felt that hitting them after 10AM after they
          softened a bit was best. Postholing is a bit of a problem if you hit them
          late in the afternoon. I figured out that I needed to stay away from rocks
          sticking up from the snow. They have big hollow cavities around them and
          that's where you'll really drop the most.

          The only 2 with a fair bit of snow are Muir and Donohue Pass, both of which
          are north of your trip. Also I hit them a few weeks ago now. Muir had about
          50% trail snow coverage above Helen Lake. Not a big deal to walk around most
          of the snow fields. I never used my ice axe or crampons the whole time.

          Have a great time. That seems like a perfect trip.

          Congrats!!! Fred, how were the mosquitos, the snow over Pnchot, Mather,
          Glenn....and just how tough was the Golden Staircase? We are going from
          Bishop Pass to Onion Valley in a few weeks....then, finishing up with Onion
          Valley to Whitney Portal iin Sept. to complete it for me!!!...again, way to
          go! Doug

          Fred Sharples <fred@... <mailto:fred%40orangedesign.com> >
          wrote: If anyone has questions about current conditions etc. Let me know.

          I'll be updating my trail journal over the next few days.

          http://trailjournals.com/fredsharples

        • Fred Sharples
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 27, 2007
            The Golden Staircase was fine. I did it in the morning. It's probably easier
            to climb than to go down. A lot of PCTers complained about that going
            north.

            I camped at Deer Meadow too. It's pretty much all burned around there but
            just before the Golden Staircase, going south, there are some nice
            campsites in live trees. Mosquitoes were a nuisance there but not terrible.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 27, 2007
              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...> wrote:

              > Hey Sri Prank!!
              >
              > My 25 year old son (who attended school at the SA Ashram in
              > Pondicherry) and I are
              > heading our early next week to do the North Lake-South Lake loop. We
              > will camping
              > near the bridge over Piute Creek (where you and I linked up in 2005)
              > Thursday night.
              > I am sure that when we are going up the trail to Evolution Valley I
              > will be remembering
              > our time together along that section two year ago.
              >
              > I hope we cross paths again out there some day.
              >
              > All the best,
              >
              > Prapanna

              Hi Prapanna,

              Great that you are getting your son out with you. Still might be a
              bit of snow on Muir.

              I went in S of Bridgeport at Green Lake TH last weekend. Over
              Virginia Pass into the NE Corner of Yosemite. Went X-country and
              bagged Virginia and Twin Peaks. No snow at all there. There wasn't a
              soul back there. Just coyotes and marmots. Really spectacular area.

              Someday we will meetup I'm sure.

              take care,

              frank
            • Doug

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 28, 2007
                  Fred it sounded like you enjoyed your trip. I read your journal I
                  have a question. I am going on the 19th of July. I have been
                  concerned about the low snow levels and if there will be drinking
                  water easily available. You talked about a couple of stretches where
                  water was tough to come by. Where were those places and where should
                  be be sure to stock up for the long haul?
                  Kevin A

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Sharples" <fred@...>
                  wrote:

                  > The Golden Staircase was fine. I did it in the morning. It's
                  probably easier
                  > to climb than to go down. A lot of PCTers complained about that
                  going
                  > north.
                  >
                  > I camped at Deer Meadow too. It's pretty much all burned around
                  there but
                  > just before the Golden Staircase, going south, there are some nice
                  > campsites in live trees. Mosquitoes were a nuisance there but not
                  terrible.

                • Fred Sharples
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 28, 2007
                    Hi Kevin,

                    The longest dry stretches were

                    Deer Creek to Paiute Creek Bridge (there was a little water that I didn't
                    take advantage of).

                    Tyndall Creek to Wallace Creek

                    Wallace Creek to Crabtree

                    Guitar Lake to Trail Camp

                    I carried very little water which made it seem worse than it is. I never
                    carried more than a liter and often I didn't carry any.

                    I usually drank 2 liters and then carried one when it was a long stretch. I
                    wouldn't advise this. I just wanted to save weight and see how well it
                    worked. I also didn't treat or filter water except before Half Dome, at Rae
                    Lakes, Tyndall Creek & all around Mt. Whitney. I also don't advise this but
                    I didn't want to carry a pump. I feel fine BTW.

                    <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com> , "Fred Sharples" <fred@...>