Re: [John Muir Trail] Getting from Yosemite Valley to Tuolumne

  • Kim Fishburn
    Message 1 of 7 , May 30, 2011
      I've hitch hiked between Tuolumne Meadows & Yosemite Valley a couple times. Its been hit & miss. Sometimes I got a ride right away, and sometimes it took an hour or two. Make sure you have a sign to tell people where you're going and I think it will be easier. I think people will be more inclined to take someone to Tuolumne Meadows. Otherwise they risk picking up someone they might be stuck with for a long ride to some place like the SF Bay area. Odds are you'll get picked up by Europeans. I had a hard time telling some Italians I wanted off in Tuolumne Meadows. I had to yell several times to stop.

      Kim

      Message 2 of 7 , May 30, 2011
        Hitchhiking is probably more fun and  certainly cheaper but the Tuolumne Meadows Hiker Bus should  be running into mid Sept.  More info here:

        http://www.yosemitepark.com/activities_guidedbustours_tuolumnemeadows.aspx

        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
        From: 27ftwhaler@...
        Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 00:14:53 +0000

        I'm backpacking with friends from Mammoth Lakes to Yosemite valley at the end of August to early September. I need to find a way to get from the valley to Tuolumne where my car will be. I had planned on taking Yarts but it seems that they will only run on weekends in September. If I have to, I'll rent a second car but I'd rather not do that. Any ideas?

      • Linda Reitz
        Message 3 of 7 , May 31, 2011
          Jump on the Yarts bus at 5 p m at the Village (across from visitor center) in the valley. You don't even need a reservation and will get dropped of in TM about 1 1/2 or 2 hrs later.

          I'm backpacking with friends from Mammoth Lakes to Yosemite valley at the end of August to early September. I need to find a way to get from the valley to Tuolumne where my car will be. I had planned on taking Yarts but it seems that they will only run on weekends in September. If I have to, I'll rent a second car but I'd rather not do that. Any ideas?

        • LEBRUN
          Message 4 of 7 , May 31, 2011
            YARTS pickup at the Visitor Center = 5:00pm
            Drop off at Tuolumne Meadows = 6:50pm

            Bruce

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 7, 2011
              I am planning a short Sept 14 hike down Yosemite Creek and called about whether the bus described below would still be running then.  They said they planned to run it until, I think) September 19.

              http://www.yosemitepark.com/Activities_GuidedBusTours_TuolumneMeadows.aspx

              I know it is running on the 14th (the day I need it) and I THHINK they said that it was running until the 19th and the schedule on the above page seems to confirm that

              Rums just once a day, leaving Valley around 8.  Multiple pickup points in the Valley

              $14.50 each