RE: [John Muir Trail] How to shorten the trail?

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 4 , May 29, 2011
      To add to what John said . . .yeah, always thought of doing the duck lake and down thing . . . but I knew that hitting mammoth for the night would not be good for my system, all that food and booze and tiring use of the hotel remote . . . why get back on the trail!!!!

      And to emphasize again, these cuts ain't the prettiest parts of the trail to lose, so no big loss, in my book (John's book would make them look glorious)

      There is the section from thousand Islands to Reds which is damn fine, but again, the last three-five? miles of it heading into reds, is nothing speciail unless yo like hot, waterless, sandy . . . trail that's like walking on the beach, sort of.

      Bob

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: johndittli@...
      Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 15:06:33 +0000
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] How to shorten the trail?

      > another way to cut maybe an entire day+ off your trip is when you get to Thousand Island Lakes, drop down to the River trail, which is much faster, relatively flat if not downhill all the way . . . it drops you into Agnew Meadow and from there you can walk up to the road and catch the free shuttle to Red's Meadow.
      > After that, well there ain't no free shuttle you can jump on anymore and you pretty much have to just do the trail to you get to Whitney Portal
      >
      > Bobhttp://www.summitpost.org/plans/view_activity.php?post_id=6480

      To add to what Bob said

      From the Reds Meadow area you can take a shuttle (~$8) to Mammoth Mtn Ski area, then free shuttle into town of Mammoth and up to the Duck Pass Trailhead. This would eliminate the entire section (arguably the least scenic on the entire JMT) from Reds (or Agnew depending on choice) Meadow to Duck Creek.

      JD
      Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail (the book)
      www.johndittli.com