Re: [John Muir Trail] just completed JMT southbound - June 24

  • Doug
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 26, 2007
      Congrats!!! Fred, how were the mosquitos, the snow over Pnchot, Mather, Glenn....and just how tough was the Golden Staircase? We are going from Bishop Pass to Onion Valley in a few weeks....then, finishing up with Onion Valley to Whitney Portal iin Sept. to complete it for me!!!...again, way to go! Doug

      Fred Sharples <fred@...> wrote: If anyone has questions about current conditions etc. Let me know.

      I'll be updating my trail journal over the next few days.

      http://trailjournals.com/fredsharples

    • Frank Martin
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 27, 2007
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Doug <pukkmann2002@...> wrote:

        > Congrats!!! Fred, how were the mosquitos, the snow over Pnchot,
        Mather, Glenn....and just how tough was the Golden Staircase? We are
        going from Bishop Pass to Onion Valley in a few weeks....then,
        finishing up with Onion Valley to Whitney Portal iin Sept. to complete
        it for me!!!...again, way to go! Doug

        I've gone up and down the Golden Staircase many times. What works
        best for me is to make camp at the base of it and start early S of
        Deer Meadow). There is a stream there and good camping. Avoid the
        heat and you can do the Staircase and get over Mather if you choose or
        you can camp at the Lakes. I usually try and get from the base of the
        Staircase to the trail to bench Lake at the approach to Pinchot but
        there is excellent camping at the base of Mather where the river
        crossing is.

        frank
      • Doug
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 27, 2007
          Thank you so much Frank!!

          Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote: --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Doug <pukkmann2002@...> wrote:

          > Congrats!!! Fred, how were the mosquitos, the snow over Pnchot,
          Mather, Glenn....and just how tough was the Golden Staircase? We are
          going from Bishop Pass to Onion Valley in a few weeks....then,
          finishing up with Onion Valley to Whitney Portal iin Sept. to complete
          it for me!!!...again, way to go! Doug

          I've gone up and down the Golden Staircase many times. What works
          best for me is to make camp at the base of it and start early S of
          Deer Meadow). There is a stream there and good camping. Avoid the
          heat and you can do the Staircase and get over Mather if you choose or
          you can camp at the Lakes. I usually try and get from the base of the
          Staircase to the trail to bench Lake at the approach to Pinchot but
          there is excellent camping at the base of Mather where the river
          crossing is.

          frank

        • Prapanna Smith
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 27, 2007
            Hey Sri Prank!!

            My 25 year old son (who attended school at the SA Ashram in
            Pondicherry) and I are
            heading our early next week to do the North Lake-South Lake loop. We
            will camping
            near the bridge over Piute Creek (where you and I linked up in 2005)
            Thursday night.
            I am sure that when we are going up the trail to Evolution Valley I
            will be remembering
            our time together along that section two year ago.

            I hope we cross paths again out there some day.

            All the best,

            Prapanna

            A vast surrender was his only strength.
            Savitri Book 3, Canto 2

            On Jun 27, 2007, at 6:21 AM, Frank Martin wrote:

            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Doug <pukkmann2002@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Congrats!!! Fred, how were the mosquitos, the snow over Pnchot,
            > Mather, Glenn....and just how tough was the Golden Staircase? We are
            > going from Bishop Pass to Onion Valley in a few weeks....then,
            > finishing up with Onion Valley to Whitney Portal iin Sept. to complete
            > it for me!!!...again, way to go! Doug
            >
            > I've gone up and down the Golden Staircase many times. What works
            > best for me is to make camp at the base of it and start early S of
            > Deer Meadow). There is a stream there and good camping. Avoid the
            > heat and you can do the Staircase and get over Mather if you choose or
            > you can camp at the Lakes. I usually try and get from the base of the
            > Staircase to the trail to bench Lake at the approach to Pinchot but
            > there is excellent camping at the base of Mather where the river
            > crossing is.
            >
            > frank

          • Fred Sharples
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 27, 2007
              Thanks so much Doug

              The mosquitoes were kind of bad around Tully Hole, Seldon Pass, Vidette
              Meadow, Rae Lakes. Basically anyplace called [something]meadow or any place
              with water below 11K ft.

              However, I only used by head net on 2 nights total. Deet and my rain gear
              pretty much did the trick for me otherwise. Without coverage I would have
              around 20 mosquitoes on me at once. I've been in much worse around Yosemite
              and Carson Pass. (200 at once)

              The good thing is that the mosquitoes were not as bad further south where
              you are going.

              The passes are all pretty much clear of snow. At the worst there are several
              patches to walk over. None of them real steep or exposed to danger.

              Pinchot had maybe one small snow field if that. Mather had a few more than
              that. Glenn had a few patches too. None caused me to lose the trail or be
              frightened of slipping. I felt that hitting them after 10AM after they
              softened a bit was best. Postholing is a bit of a problem if you hit them
              late in the afternoon. I figured out that I needed to stay away from rocks
              sticking up from the snow. They have big hollow cavities around them and
              that's where you'll really drop the most.

              The only 2 with a fair bit of snow are Muir and Donohue Pass, both of which
              are north of your trip. Also I hit them a few weeks ago now. Muir had about
              50% trail snow coverage above Helen Lake. Not a big deal to walk around most
              of the snow fields. I never used my ice axe or crampons the whole time.

              Have a great time. That seems like a perfect trip.

              Fred Sharples <fred@... <mailto:fred%40orangedesign.com> >

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 27, 2007
                The Golden Staircase was fine. I did it in the morning. It's probably easier
                to climb than to go down. A lot of PCTers complained about that going
                north.

                I camped at Deer Meadow too. It's pretty much all burned around there but
                just before the Golden Staircase, going south, there are some nice
                campsites in live trees. Mosquitoes were a nuisance there but not terrible.

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 27, 2007
                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...> wrote:

                  > Hey Sri Prank!!
                  >
                  > My 25 year old son (who attended school at the SA Ashram in
                  > Pondicherry) and I are
                  > heading our early next week to do the North Lake-South Lake loop. We
                  > will camping
                  > near the bridge over Piute Creek (where you and I linked up in 2005)
                  > Thursday night.
                  > I am sure that when we are going up the trail to Evolution Valley I
                  > will be remembering
                  > our time together along that section two year ago.
                  >
                  > I hope we cross paths again out there some day.
                  >
                  > All the best,
                  >
                  > Prapanna

                  Hi Prapanna,

                  Great that you are getting your son out with you. Still might be a
                  bit of snow on Muir.

                  I went in S of Bridgeport at Green Lake TH last weekend. Over
                  Virginia Pass into the NE Corner of Yosemite. Went X-country and
                  bagged Virginia and Twin Peaks. No snow at all there. There wasn't a
                  soul back there. Just coyotes and marmots. Really spectacular area.

                  Someday we will meetup I'm sure.

                  take care,

                  frank
                • Doug

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 28, 2007
                      Fred it sounded like you enjoyed your trip. I read your journal I
                      have a question. I am going on the 19th of July. I have been
                      concerned about the low snow levels and if there will be drinking
                      water easily available. You talked about a couple of stretches where
                      water was tough to come by. Where were those places and where should
                      be be sure to stock up for the long haul?
                      Kevin A

                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Sharples" <fred@...>
                      wrote:

                      > The Golden Staircase was fine. I did it in the morning. It's
                      probably easier
                      > to climb than to go down. A lot of PCTers complained about that
                      going
                      > north.
                      >
                      > I camped at Deer Meadow too. It's pretty much all burned around
                      there but
                      > just before the Golden Staircase, going south, there are some nice
                      > campsites in live trees. Mosquitoes were a nuisance there but not
                      terrible.

                    • Fred Sharples
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 28, 2007
                        Hi Kevin,

                        The longest dry stretches were

                        Deer Creek to Paiute Creek Bridge (there was a little water that I didn't
                        take advantage of).

                        Tyndall Creek to Wallace Creek

                        Wallace Creek to Crabtree

                        Guitar Lake to Trail Camp

                        I carried very little water which made it seem worse than it is. I never
                        carried more than a liter and often I didn't carry any.

                        I usually drank 2 liters and then carried one when it was a long stretch. I
                        wouldn't advise this. I just wanted to save weight and see how well it
                        worked. I also didn't treat or filter water except before Half Dome, at Rae
                        Lakes, Tyndall Creek & all around Mt. Whitney. I also don't advise this but
                        I didn't want to carry a pump. I feel fine BTW.

                        <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com> , "Fred Sharples" <fred@...>