just completed JMT southbound - June 24

  • Fred Sharples
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 26, 2007
      If anyone has questions about current conditions etc. Let me know.

      I'll be updating my trail journal over the next few days.

      http://trailjournals.com/fredsharples

    • Doug
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 26, 2007
        Congrats!!! Fred, how were the mosquitos, the snow over Pnchot, Mather, Glenn....and just how tough was the Golden Staircase? We are going from Bishop Pass to Onion Valley in a few weeks....then, finishing up with Onion Valley to Whitney Portal iin Sept. to complete it for me!!!...again, way to go! Doug

        Fred Sharples <fred@...> wrote: If anyone has questions about current conditions etc. Let me know.

        I'll be updating my trail journal over the next few days.

        http://trailjournals.com/fredsharples

      • Frank Martin
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 27, 2007
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Doug <pukkmann2002@...> wrote:

          > Congrats!!! Fred, how were the mosquitos, the snow over Pnchot,
          Mather, Glenn....and just how tough was the Golden Staircase? We are
          going from Bishop Pass to Onion Valley in a few weeks....then,
          finishing up with Onion Valley to Whitney Portal iin Sept. to complete
          it for me!!!...again, way to go! Doug

          I've gone up and down the Golden Staircase many times. What works
          best for me is to make camp at the base of it and start early S of
          Deer Meadow). There is a stream there and good camping. Avoid the
          heat and you can do the Staircase and get over Mather if you choose or
          you can camp at the Lakes. I usually try and get from the base of the
          Staircase to the trail to bench Lake at the approach to Pinchot but
          there is excellent camping at the base of Mather where the river
          crossing is.

          frank
        • Doug
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 27, 2007
            Thank you so much Frank!!

            Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote: --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Doug <pukkmann2002@...> wrote:

            > Congrats!!! Fred, how were the mosquitos, the snow over Pnchot,
            Mather, Glenn....and just how tough was the Golden Staircase? We are
            going from Bishop Pass to Onion Valley in a few weeks....then,
            finishing up with Onion Valley to Whitney Portal iin Sept. to complete
            it for me!!!...again, way to go! Doug

            I've gone up and down the Golden Staircase many times. What works
            best for me is to make camp at the base of it and start early S of
            Deer Meadow). There is a stream there and good camping. Avoid the
            heat and you can do the Staircase and get over Mather if you choose or
            you can camp at the Lakes. I usually try and get from the base of the
            Staircase to the trail to bench Lake at the approach to Pinchot but
            there is excellent camping at the base of Mather where the river
            crossing is.

            frank

          • Prapanna Smith
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 27, 2007
              Hey Sri Prank!!

              My 25 year old son (who attended school at the SA Ashram in
              Pondicherry) and I are
              heading our early next week to do the North Lake-South Lake loop. We
              will camping
              near the bridge over Piute Creek (where you and I linked up in 2005)
              Thursday night.
              I am sure that when we are going up the trail to Evolution Valley I
              will be remembering
              our time together along that section two year ago.

              I hope we cross paths again out there some day.

              All the best,

              Prapanna

              A vast surrender was his only strength.
              Savitri Book 3, Canto 2

              On Jun 27, 2007, at 6:21 AM, Frank Martin wrote:

              > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Doug <pukkmann2002@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Congrats!!! Fred, how were the mosquitos, the snow over Pnchot,
              > Mather, Glenn....and just how tough was the Golden Staircase? We are
              > going from Bishop Pass to Onion Valley in a few weeks....then,
              > finishing up with Onion Valley to Whitney Portal iin Sept. to complete
              > it for me!!!...again, way to go! Doug
              >
              > I've gone up and down the Golden Staircase many times. What works
              > best for me is to make camp at the base of it and start early S of
              > Deer Meadow). There is a stream there and good camping. Avoid the
              > heat and you can do the Staircase and get over Mather if you choose or
              > you can camp at the Lakes. I usually try and get from the base of the
              > Staircase to the trail to bench Lake at the approach to Pinchot but
              > there is excellent camping at the base of Mather where the river
              > crossing is.
              >
              > frank

            • Fred Sharples
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 27, 2007
                Thanks so much Doug

                The mosquitoes were kind of bad around Tully Hole, Seldon Pass, Vidette
                Meadow, Rae Lakes. Basically anyplace called [something]meadow or any place
                with water below 11K ft.

                However, I only used by head net on 2 nights total. Deet and my rain gear
                pretty much did the trick for me otherwise. Without coverage I would have
                around 20 mosquitoes on me at once. I've been in much worse around Yosemite
                and Carson Pass. (200 at once)

                The good thing is that the mosquitoes were not as bad further south where
                you are going.

                The passes are all pretty much clear of snow. At the worst there are several
                patches to walk over. None of them real steep or exposed to danger.

                Pinchot had maybe one small snow field if that. Mather had a few more than
                that. Glenn had a few patches too. None caused me to lose the trail or be
                frightened of slipping. I felt that hitting them after 10AM after they
                softened a bit was best. Postholing is a bit of a problem if you hit them
                late in the afternoon. I figured out that I needed to stay away from rocks
                sticking up from the snow. They have big hollow cavities around them and
                that's where you'll really drop the most.

                The only 2 with a fair bit of snow are Muir and Donohue Pass, both of which
                are north of your trip. Also I hit them a few weeks ago now. Muir had about
                50% trail snow coverage above Helen Lake. Not a big deal to walk around most
                of the snow fields. I never used my ice axe or crampons the whole time.

                Have a great time. That seems like a perfect trip.

                Fred Sharples <fred@... <mailto:fred%40orangedesign.com> >

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 27, 2007
                  The Golden Staircase was fine. I did it in the morning. It's probably easier
                  to climb than to go down. A lot of PCTers complained about that going
                  north.

                  I camped at Deer Meadow too. It's pretty much all burned around there but
                  just before the Golden Staircase, going south, there are some nice
                  campsites in live trees. Mosquitoes were a nuisance there but not terrible.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 27, 2007
                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...> wrote:

                    > Hey Sri Prank!!
                    >
                    > My 25 year old son (who attended school at the SA Ashram in
                    > Pondicherry) and I are
                    > heading our early next week to do the North Lake-South Lake loop. We
                    > will camping
                    > near the bridge over Piute Creek (where you and I linked up in 2005)
                    > Thursday night.
                    > I am sure that when we are going up the trail to Evolution Valley I
                    > will be remembering
                    > our time together along that section two year ago.
                    >
                    > I hope we cross paths again out there some day.
                    >
                    > All the best,
                    >
                    > Prapanna

                    Hi Prapanna,

                    Great that you are getting your son out with you. Still might be a
                    bit of snow on Muir.

                    I went in S of Bridgeport at Green Lake TH last weekend. Over
                    Virginia Pass into the NE Corner of Yosemite. Went X-country and
                    bagged Virginia and Twin Peaks. No snow at all there. There wasn't a
                    soul back there. Just coyotes and marmots. Really spectacular area.

                    Someday we will meetup I'm sure.

                    take care,

                    frank
                  • Doug

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 28, 2007
                        Fred it sounded like you enjoyed your trip. I read your journal I
                        have a question. I am going on the 19th of July. I have been
                        concerned about the low snow levels and if there will be drinking
                        water easily available. You talked about a couple of stretches where
                        water was tough to come by. Where were those places and where should
                        be be sure to stock up for the long haul?
                        Kevin A

                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Sharples" <fred@...>
                        wrote:

                        > The Golden Staircase was fine. I did it in the morning. It's
                        probably easier
                        > to climb than to go down. A lot of PCTers complained about that
                        going
                        > north.
                        >
                        > I camped at Deer Meadow too. It's pretty much all burned around
                        there but
                        > just before the Golden Staircase, going south, there are some nice
                        > campsites in live trees. Mosquitoes were a nuisance there but not
                        terrible.

                      • Fred Sharples
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 28, 2007
                          Hi Kevin,

                          The longest dry stretches were

                          Deer Creek to Paiute Creek Bridge (there was a little water that I didn't
                          take advantage of).

                          Tyndall Creek to Wallace Creek

                          Wallace Creek to Crabtree

                          Guitar Lake to Trail Camp

                          I carried very little water which made it seem worse than it is. I never
                          carried more than a liter and often I didn't carry any.

                          I usually drank 2 liters and then carried one when it was a long stretch. I
                          wouldn't advise this. I just wanted to save weight and see how well it
                          worked. I also didn't treat or filter water except before Half Dome, at Rae
                          Lakes, Tyndall Creek & all around Mt. Whitney. I also don't advise this but
                          I didn't want to carry a pump. I feel fine BTW.

                          <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com> , "Fred Sharples" <fred@...>