Re: Camping around Charlotte Lake?

  • onkelb0b
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 15 9:26 PM
      There is a two night camping limit for sites between Pinchot Pass and
      Forester Pass. Furthermore, there is a one night limit at Rae Lakes.
      There is a summer occupied ranger station at Charlotte Lake, (Ranger
      Dave) primarily there to aid and watch over the climbers on Charlotte
      Dome. LAST, NOT LEAST, - This is bear can territory, it's a $150 fine
      if you don't have one or leave your food unguarded. There is a food
      locker at the lake.
      Depending where you are coming from there are a few ways to work
      around these restrictions. If coming N->S stop at Rae Lakes, 1 night
      at the first lake, another at the second. Then move towards Charlotte.
      It's about 1/2 day hike from Rae to Charlotte. Kearsarge Lake is
      another possibility, only a few hours from Charlotte. Vidette Meadow
      has a number of sites but it's a bit of a climb down into the
      drainage. If you're coming the other way then Vidette may be the
      place to stay a day or two before moving up.
      Check with the seki backcountry office (www.nps.gov/seki - look for
      "contact us" on left margin) they are usually quite responsive.