Re: [John Muir Trail] Camping around Charlotte Lake?

  • Prapanna Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 13, 2007
      That may very well be the case. And there is a Ranger Station
      there. However,
      there is a fine camping area, just under 10,000 feet elevation, about
      a 1/4 mile
      down stream from the lake. Follow the trail past the lake and you
      will find the
      site immediately after you ford the creek. I don't think there are
      any camping
      limits there. And you can have a fire to cook your fish over.

      Prapanna

      On Jun 13, 2007, at 9:18 PM, Julio wrote:

      > I am planning to camp for few nights in Charlotte Lake as I wait for
      > my hiking partner to join me on the John Muir Trail. Somewhere I read
      > that camping around that particular lake is limited to two nights. Is
      > that true?Is it patroled by Rangers? Where can I confirm such issue?
      > Thanx,

    • onkelb0b
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 15, 2007
        There is a two night camping limit for sites between Pinchot Pass and
        Forester Pass. Furthermore, there is a one night limit at Rae Lakes.
        There is a summer occupied ranger station at Charlotte Lake, (Ranger
        Dave) primarily there to aid and watch over the climbers on Charlotte
        Dome. LAST, NOT LEAST, - This is bear can territory, it's a $150 fine
        if you don't have one or leave your food unguarded. There is a food
        locker at the lake.
        Depending where you are coming from there are a few ways to work
        around these restrictions. If coming N->S stop at Rae Lakes, 1 night
        at the first lake, another at the second. Then move towards Charlotte.
        It's about 1/2 day hike from Rae to Charlotte. Kearsarge Lake is
        another possibility, only a few hours from Charlotte. Vidette Meadow
        has a number of sites but it's a bit of a climb down into the
        drainage. If you're coming the other way then Vidette may be the
        place to stay a day or two before moving up.
        Check with the seki backcountry office (www.nps.gov/seki - look for
        "contact us" on left margin) they are usually quite responsive.