Camping around Charlotte Lake?

  • Julio
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 13, 2007
      I am planning to camp for few nights in Charlotte Lake as I wait for
      my hiking partner to join me on the John Muir Trail. Somewhere I read
      that camping around that particular lake is limited to two nights. Is
      that true?Is it patroled by Rangers? Where can I confirm such issue?
      Thanx,
    • Prapanna Smith
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 13, 2007
        That may very well be the case. And there is a Ranger Station
        there. However,
        there is a fine camping area, just under 10,000 feet elevation, about
        a 1/4 mile
        down stream from the lake. Follow the trail past the lake and you
        will find the
        site immediately after you ford the creek. I don't think there are
        any camping
        limits there. And you can have a fire to cook your fish over.

        Prapanna

        On Jun 13, 2007, at 9:18 PM, Julio wrote:

        > I am planning to camp for few nights in Charlotte Lake as I wait for
        > my hiking partner to join me on the John Muir Trail. Somewhere I read
        > that camping around that particular lake is limited to two nights. Is
        > that true?Is it patroled by Rangers? Where can I confirm such issue?
        > Thanx,

      • onkelb0b
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 15, 2007
          There is a two night camping limit for sites between Pinchot Pass and
          Forester Pass. Furthermore, there is a one night limit at Rae Lakes.
          There is a summer occupied ranger station at Charlotte Lake, (Ranger
          Dave) primarily there to aid and watch over the climbers on Charlotte
          Dome. LAST, NOT LEAST, - This is bear can territory, it's a $150 fine
          if you don't have one or leave your food unguarded. There is a food
          locker at the lake.
          Depending where you are coming from there are a few ways to work
          around these restrictions. If coming N->S stop at Rae Lakes, 1 night
          at the first lake, another at the second. Then move towards Charlotte.
          It's about 1/2 day hike from Rae to Charlotte. Kearsarge Lake is
          another possibility, only a few hours from Charlotte. Vidette Meadow
          has a number of sites but it's a bit of a climb down into the
          drainage. If you're coming the other way then Vidette may be the
          place to stay a day or two before moving up.
          Check with the seki backcountry office (www.nps.gov/seki - look for
          "contact us" on left margin) they are usually quite responsive.