Re: Shuttle Service

  • Frank Martin
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 12, 2007
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <stillcrazy192@...> wrote:

      > I'm going to be hiking the JMT southbound beginning in late July.
      I'm an east coaster and my
      > flight back home leaves out of Las Vegas. I've managed to locate a
      rental car in Inyokern but
      > I still need to get from Lone Pine to Inyokern. The Bishop / Lone
      Pine bus doesn't appear to
      > go that far south. Does anyone know or can recommend a shuttle
      service that I might
      > contact to get me there?
      >
      > Thanks

      This will get you real close.

      The Crest bus service to Ridgecrest run three days a week.

      http://inyo3d.org/Frameset/crest.htm

      I think Inyokern is only a short distance to Ridgecrest.

      I would think that a car rental would be available in Bishop. It is a
      much larger city.

      good luck.
    • dh5169
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 12, 2007
        Jason,
        I too am in the same situation - having to get to Las Vegas for the
        flight back to PA. As Frank noted, you can take the bus from Lone Pine
        to Ridgecrest. Be sure to call to reserve your spot on the bus the day
        before - see the CREST website. The route appears to go right past the
        Inyokern airport and I was hoping to get the driver to drop us (my wife
        and I) nearby. Otherwise, there appears to be bus service that goes to
        Inyokern or you can get a taxi. I have a one-way reservation from the
        airport thru Avis - $42.65 - to Las Vegas.
        Doug

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <stillcrazy192@...> wrote:

        > I'm going to be hiking the JMT southbound beginning in late July.
        I'm an east coaster and my
        > flight back home leaves out of Las Vegas. I've managed to locate a
        rental car in Inyokern but
        > I still need to get from Lone Pine to Inyokern. The Bishop / Lone
        Pine bus doesn't appear to
        > go that far south. Does anyone know or can recommend a shuttle
        service that I might
        > contact to get me there?
        >
        > Thanks

      • Jason
        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 3 1:30 AM
          Thanks for the info. Looks like I can ride the CREST into Ridgecrest
          and rent a car to Vegas there. Good deal.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "dh5169" <dh5169@...> wrote:

          > Jason,
          > I too am in the same situation - having to get to Las Vegas for the
          > flight back to PA. As Frank noted, you can take the bus from Lone Pine
          > to Ridgecrest. Be sure to call to reserve your spot on the bus the day
          > before - see the CREST website. The route appears to go right past the
          > Inyokern airport and I was hoping to get the driver to drop us (my wife
          > and I) nearby. Otherwise, there appears to be bus service that goes to
          > Inyokern or you can get a taxi. I have a one-way reservation from the
          > airport thru Avis - $42.65 - to Las Vegas.
          > Doug
          >
          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <stillcrazy192@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm going to be hiking the JMT southbound beginning in late July.
          > I'm an east coaster and my
          > > flight back home leaves out of Las Vegas. I've managed to locate a
          > rental car in Inyokern but
          > > I still need to get from Lone Pine to Inyokern. The Bishop / Lone
          > Pine bus doesn't appear to
          > > go that far south. Does anyone know or can recommend a shuttle
          > service that I might
          > > contact to get me there?
          > >
          > > Thanks

        • Kevin Aston
          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 3 10:16 AM
            If you guys look at the shuttle service you will see that the shuttle
            goes directly from the Reno airport to anywhere on the whole est side
            of the trail. We have one guy flying in to go with us and he is
            taking that route. Much easier and probably cheaper.
            Kevin A

            wrote:

            > Thanks for the info. Looks like I can ride the CREST into
            Ridgecrest
            > and rent a car to Vegas there. Good deal.
            >
            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "dh5169" <dh5169@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Jason,
            > > I too am in the same situation - having to get to Las Vegas for
            the
            > > flight back to PA. As Frank noted, you can take the bus from
            Lone Pine
            > > to Ridgecrest. Be sure to call to reserve your spot on the bus
            the day
            > > before - see the CREST website. The route appears to go right
            past the
            > > Inyokern airport and I was hoping to get the driver to drop us
            (my wife
            > > and I) nearby. Otherwise, there appears to be bus service that
            goes to
            > > Inyokern or you can get a taxi. I have a one-way reservation from
            the
            > > airport thru Avis - $42.65 - to Las Vegas.
            > > Doug
            > >
            > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <stillcrazy192@>
            wrote:

            > > > I'm going to be hiking the JMT southbound beginning in late
            July.
            > > I'm an east coaster and my
            > > > flight back home leaves out of Las Vegas. I've managed to
            locate a
            > > rental car in Inyokern but
            > > > I still need to get from Lone Pine to Inyokern. The Bishop /
            Lone
            > > Pine bus doesn't appear to
            > > > go that far south. Does anyone know or can recommend a shuttle
            > > service that I might
            > > > contact to get me there?
            > > >
            > > > Thanks

          • dh5169
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 3 2:08 PM
              Kevin,
              Appreciate the input. Logistically, it is probably easier - two bus
              rides and you are in Reno. But it depends on one's individual
              circumstances. I spent considerable time researching many
              alternatives - Reno, Las Vegas, Sacramento (our inbound airport) Los
              Angeles, San Diego and San Francisco - Planes, Trains and
              Automobiles :). For me Las Vegas was the better choice to fly out of
              because:

              1. Bus tickets for two from Lone Pine to Ridgecrest vs. Lone Pine to
              Bishop and then Bishop to Reno. Why Bishop? Because:

              2. Going to Reno you have to layover in Bishop a day in order to
              catch the Reno bus due to the bus schedules heading north which means
              the added cost of a hotel room.

              3. Potential overnight in Reno depending on flight times back to the
              east coast.

              3. Flights out of Las Vegas were routinely cheaper than Reno - almost
              $40 per person less for the flight I found and

              4. I was able to fly home to an airport that is about 50 miles closer
              to my home. That made it easier to get someone to pick us up and I
              avoided 28 days of parking costs at a more distant airport.

              Yeah, their are offsetting costs - taxi/bus to Inyokern, rental car,
              potential overnight in Las Vegas, etc. As I noted at the start, just
              depends. For us, this was the best option.

              Doug

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Aston" <kevin@...> wrote:

              > If you guys look at the shuttle service you will see that the
              shuttle
              > goes directly from the Reno airport to anywhere on the whole est
              side
              > of the trail. We have one guy flying in to go with us and he is
              > taking that route. Much easier and probably cheaper.
              > Kevin A
              >
              > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <stillcrazy192@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Thanks for the info. Looks like I can ride the CREST into
              > Ridgecrest
              > > and rent a car to Vegas there. Good deal.
              > >
              > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "dh5169" <dh5169@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Jason,
              > > > I too am in the same situation - having to get to Las Vegas
              for
              > the
              > > > flight back to PA. As Frank noted, you can take the bus from
              > Lone Pine
              > > > to Ridgecrest. Be sure to call to reserve your spot on the bus
              > the day
              > > > before - see the CREST website. The route appears to go right
              > past the
              > > > Inyokern airport and I was hoping to get the driver to drop us
              > (my wife
              > > > and I) nearby. Otherwise, there appears to be bus service that
              > goes to
              > > > Inyokern or you can get a taxi. I have a one-way reservation
              from
              > the
              > > > airport thru Avis - $42.65 - to Las Vegas.
              > > > Doug
              > > >
              > > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <stillcrazy192@>

              > July.
              > > > I'm an east coaster and my
              > locate a
              > > > rental car in Inyokern but
              > Lone
              > > > Pine bus doesn't appear to
              > > > service that I might

            • Kevin Aston
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 3 6:32 PM
                Doug,
                I see your point. I had not looked at the return from Lone Pine to
                Reno, as we are driving back to Utah from there. I had only looked at
                getting to the trail head from Reno. When are you going? We will be
                driving back through Vegas on the 3rd or 4th of Aug. I have a 15
                passenger van for 4 of us so there is lots of room.
                Kevin A

              • dh5169
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 4 3:23 AM
                  Kevin,
                  Thanks for that very generous offer, but we are only starting August
                  21 and plan to finish on or before September 13.
                  Best of luck on your hike.

                • Kevin Aston
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 4 8:49 AM
                    Hello everybody,
                    I was thinking about how we each are hiking at very different times,
                    and it got me wondering what everyone does for work. I am sure that
                    you like me are doing the hike when you can work it into you work
                    schedule. So what influenced when you are going and what is your job?
                    I teach school at a junior high in Utah. I am the Applied Technology
                    teacher which includes our shop program, but also teach from a
                    computer lab and teach things like animation, AutoCad, some
                    engineering, robotics, video production, and other things like that.
                    I am doing the hike the 19th of July to the 3rd of August because it
                    is as late in the year as I can go. My school contract days start on
                    the 13th, and I have a trip planned to Lake Powell in Utah both the
                    weeks of the 10th of July and the 7th of August.
                    http://kevinaston.com/LakePowell.html So what do you guys do?
                    Thanks
                    Kevin A

                  • Fred Sharples
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 5 5:43 PM
                      I have a video game production company.

                      http://orangedesign.com

                      We specialize in creating video games for the education market.

                      I did the JMT as my sabbatical this year.

                      I met a lot of people hiking the PCT who were teachers or students.

                      Fred (Quake)

                      <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com> , "Kevin Aston" <kevin@> wrote:

                      > > Doug,
                      > > I see your point. I had not looked at the return from Lone Pine
                      > > Reno, as we are driving back to Utah from there. I had only
                      looked
                      > at
                      > > getting to the trail head from Reno. When are you going? We will
                      > be
                      > > driving back through Vegas on the 3rd or 4th of Aug. I have a 15
                      > > passenger van for 4 of us so there is lots of room.
                      > > Kevin A
                      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                      <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com> , "dh5169" <dh5169@> wrote:

                      > > > Kevin,
                      > > > Appreciate the input. Logistically, it is probably easier -
                      two
                      > > bus
                      > > > rides and you are in Reno. But it depends on one's individual
                      > > > circumstances. I spent considerable time researching many
                      > > > alternatives - Reno, Las Vegas, Sacramento (our inbound
                      airport)
                      > > Los
                      > > > Angeles, San Diego and San Francisco - Planes, Trains and
                      > > > Automobiles :). For me Las Vegas was the better choice to fly
                      > out
                      > > of
                      > > > because:
                      > > >
                      > > > 1. Bus tickets for two from Lone Pine to Ridgecrest vs. Lone
                      Pine
                      > > > Bishop and then Bishop to Reno. Why Bishop? Because:
                      > > >
                      > > > 2. Going to Reno you have to layover in Bishop a day in order
                      > > > catch the Reno bus due to the bus schedules heading north which
                      > > means
                      > > > the added cost of a hotel room.
                      > > >
                      > > > 3. Potential overnight in Reno depending on flight times back
                      > > the
                      > > > east coast.
                      > > >
                      > > > 3. Flights out of Las Vegas were routinely cheaper than Reno -
                      > > almost
                      > > > $40 per person less for the flight I found and
                      > > >
                      > > > 4. I was able to fly home to an airport that is about 50 miles
                      > > closer
                      > > > to my home. That made it easier to get someone to pick us up
                      and
                      > > > avoided 28 days of parking costs at a more distant airport.
                      > > >
                      > > > Yeah, their are offsetting costs - taxi/bus to Inyokern, rental
                      > > car,
                      > > > potential overnight in Las Vegas, etc. As I noted at the
                      start,
                      > > just
                      > > > depends. For us, this was the best option.
                      > > >
                      > > > Doug
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                      <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com> , "Kevin Aston" <kevin@>

                      > > > shuttle
                      > est
                      > > > side

                      <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com> , "Jason"
                      <stillcrazy192@>

                    • Jason
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 6 2:54 AM
                        I'm a former network engineer turned student, finishing up a degree in
                        biochemistry. I'm doing this hike mainly because I wanted to take
                        advantage of the freedom afforded to me by being a student again. Who
                        knows when I'll be able to take a month off like this again.

                      • turk6177
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 25 12:10 PM

                          I am flying in to Mammoth Lakes Airport on a Thursday evening and want to get into Yosemite Valley as soon as possible.  My plan is to get in line Friday morning at the ranger station to try to get a permit to start hiking Saturday.  The YARTS last bus leaves hours before my plane arrives.  Staying the night in Mammoth Lakes  and catching the morning YARTS is not an option because it will probably get me into the park too late to get a permit on Friday, essentially making me wait in line Saturday morning  to start hiking Sunday (too long).

                          I looked up Original Mammoth Shuttle and they charge $200 to go from Mammoth Lakes to Yosemite Valley.  Is there a list or does anyone know of a cheaper alternative to that shuttle service from Mammoth Lakes?  Also, I planned on resupplying in Mammoth Lakes from Reds Meadow.  Does anyone have the information how to get to Mammoth Lakes from Reds Meadow.  I was not sure if there was a bus or if I had to try to find  a ride.

                          Thanks for all of your information.  It is very useful and helps me plan.

                          Turk

                        • straw_marmot
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 25 12:55 PM
                            turk,

                            (1) I'd be astonished if you can get a shuttle from Mammoth to YV for just $200.   It will take the driver all day to get there and back.

                            (2) Transport from Red's to Mammoth is by multiple bus services.  There's one that takes you from Red's to the ski station, then the "bike shuttle" (for mountain bikers using the ski runs in summer) takes you to town.   Then yet another bus to get you around Mammoth.   They are all slow, run by different companies, and no coordination between schedules.   An awkward mess if you're in any kind of hurry.

                            Flying into Mammoth is a good option if you spend a day or two there.   It helps with acclimatization (it's at 8,000') and the YARTS bus is convenient, usually pretty empty, and quite relaxing.

                            But trying to do it with your time constraints...   I don't know, I think you should consider alternatives.    There are several threads on here describing same-day transportation options from major West Coast hubs like SF & Oakland.   And mailing your resupply to Red's itself is much more convenient than coming into Mammoth town for resupply.

                            Ralph
                          • kent.mclemore
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jul 25 2:18 PM

                            • hegghart@nvbell.net
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jul 25 3:33 PM
                                You can also stop in Tuolomne Meadows, 1/2 way to the Valley from Mammoth, get your permit there, hike down to  YV, catch the bus back to TM.  Beaks up your hike (sacrelige!) but you get to start downhill.
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jul 25 4:12 PM
                                  How about starting at a Inyo trailhead like Rush Creek, skipping the Yosemite part of the trail (the least interesting part). If your schedule is as tight as you describe, you probably want a shorter hike. The trail is even less predictable and on-time than the buses are. (E.g., do you really want to put yourself in the position where your schedule constraints tempt you to go over a pass in a severe lightning storm)

                                  Rush Creek entry permits are often available on a drop-in basis, but your problem may be limitations on the Whitney exit permit (required when you enter at Inyo, not when you enter via Sierra NF or Yosemite). You could exit over New Army Pass instead. Recreation.gov is the place to reserve permits and you could check options there.

                                  With the shorter distance on the JMT itself you open up the possibility of the many great sidetrips if you are making more miles than you need for the JMT itself. Lots of more remote backcountry out there, usually starting within a mile or two of the JMT/PCT thoroughfare. Minaret Lake, Mott Lake, Devils Washbowl, Dusy Basin, etc.

                                  On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 12:10 PM, turk6177@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

                                • Turk6177
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jul 25 5:22 PM
                                    Thanks for the details. I was able to get a shuttle and a room at Curry Village. This should enable me to get in line early for a wilderness permit to hopefully start southbound on Saturday.  My time constraint was more because I didn't want to wait 4 days to get started, as opposed to needing to finish on a certain date.

                                    I will definitely hike safely and let the trail dictate how long it takes me. As I have come to find with most of my other hikes, the trail always let's me know how to proceed.

                                    FYI, the $200 shuttle became the $250 shuttle because I will be traveling in the evening hours.  I probably could have saved a lot of this planning if I had just driven the 12 hours from Phoenix. I say that now, but after hour 11 of driving I probably would have said "flying would have been worth every penny. "

                                    Maybe I will see some of you on the trail. Thanks again for all the great information being passed in this group--Turk

                                    Sent from my Fantastic iPhone 5!

                                    Yahoo! Groups
                                    PrivacyUnsubscribeTer
                                  • straw_marmot
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jul 25 5:35 PM
                                      Great that it worked out for you turk.   I think once you've done the ride, you'll agree that the shuttle that you've booked is a very fair price, even at $250, for the time & distance involved.

                                      In case you're not aware, if you secure a permit for a Saturday start, it automatically gives you the right to stay in the backpacker's campground in YV on the Friday night.   I stayed there for the first time a few weeks ago, and it's a surprisingly pleasant and peaceful spot, albeit a little awkward to find.   Just over a mile from the Happy Isles trailhead.

                                      all the best
                                      Ralph
                                    • scott carl
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Apr 17
                                        I have a permit for Sept 11, leaving from Devils Postpile, heading northbound. I was intending on parking a car in Yosemite Valley and taking YARTS to Mammoth Lakes.  Just found out YARTS only runs that route on weekends in September.
                                        Does anyone know of a private shuttle service that could get me from the Valley over to Devils Postpile on the 11th of September?

                                        Thanks,
                                        Scott

                                      • Deborah Rhoton

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Apr 17
                                              "Does anyone know of a private shuttle service . . . "

                                              You're talking big bucks no doubt to get from the valley to DP.  I think most of the shuttle services are on the east side, so they'd have to drive in through Yosemite then back out. That might be costly.

                                              Otherwise, park your car in the Valley at the Happy Isles parking lot, Maybe have a cardboard sign that says, "TM" and then take the free shuttle bus as far as you can to --- I think to El Capitan bridge, then walk from there to the junction/gas station at Crane Flats and stick out your thumb---the majority of cars heading up 120 will be going to Tuolomne if not all the way out the other side to the 120/395 junction at Lee Vining.

                                              You can then catch the weekdays only, morning ESTA bus to Mammoth.

                                              ( as usual, my suggested motels in LV would be the EL MONO MOTEL or the LEE VINING)

                                              I'd start thinking about adding another two days of travel time to this option. Depending on when you get into the valley, park, get your permit, then turn around and make your way to the junction, stick out your thumb and get a ride . . . you might end up making it to either just TM or if lucky, all the way to LEE VINING (or maybe, stroke of luck, all the way to mammoth) but then you could end up having to spend a night in either the valley, TM, LV . . .

                                              Bob Shattuck
                                              whatwouldjohnmuirdo.wordpress.com

                                            • robert shattuck
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Apr 17
                                                 . . . And my other thought is, depending on if you are finishing on a the weekend or a friday, you could just drive to Mammoth, park your car there ( at the Mammoth Mountain Inn???) do the hike, then catch the weekend YARTS bus back to mammoth.

                                                Bob

                                                Please strip out replied-to text if not necessary to your reply.  Just select the unnecessary text and delete it. Failure to strip makes it hard for our Daily Digest members to find the new postings among the repeats. For the crib sheet to take on JMT: http://tinyurl.com/JMT-Crib - Prints on 1 sheet all the essential phone numbers/addresses you&#39;ll want for all services needed on or off the trail. Update or view our member databases about packer-cost sharing, cell reception on the JMT, or see who else will be hiking the JMT when you do--all at http://tinyurl.com/JMT-DBs . We encourage all to join the JohnMuirTrail_Sidebar Yahoo Group, just send a blank email to:
                                                JohnMuirTrail_Sidebar-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                                                .

                                              • scott carl
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Apr 17
                                                  Yea, Big bucks.  $330, yikes. Have to  reconsider options, and one would be hitch hiking. Haven't thumbed a ride in about 30 years, but it could become part of the adventure.  I do have time to make it work.

                                                  Thanks,
                                                  Scott

                                                  "The journey is the destination"

                                                • scott carl
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Apr 17
                                                    Thought about that option, but the YARTs goes late in the day from Yosemite to Mammoth, Sat and Sun. I was intending on catching a flight back east one of those two days.

                                                    Fortunately, I have some time to figure it out.

                                                    Scott

                                                  • Jeffrey
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Apr 17
                                                      Isn't that, "Better call Paul"?
                                                      --
                                                      "The more dreamers we have, the more doers we have." Gene Cernan

                                                    • scott carl
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Apr 18
                                                        Looks like there is a tour bus that runs from the valley to Touolme every day till 11/13. I am thinking of taking that, then hitch hike to Mammoth. What is hitch hiking like in that area?  Does park staff/police hassle hitch hikers.

                                                        I am from New England, and spend a lot of time in the White Mnts.  I thumbed a ride last summer back to my car. It took awhile, but I did get a ride.

                                                      • charliepolecat
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Apr 18
                                                          There is a backpackers bus that runs between the valley and Tulomne that seems to piggyback on the regular shuttle service. I have taken it after taking the bus from Mammoth.